Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387446 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8835 on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »
I know there's at least some forests around nowadays.

Proof of an Icelandic forest!!!

Also who needs trees to have a bonfire anyway?

And for Laufey and Mélusine the dress:
Spoiler: show

And me in the dress. This took forever to take, I hate selfies I'm so bad at them ugh.

My room with all my stuff on the floor because moving don't judge :P

Also in the shop they have a whole wall of vintage tights and really long colourful socks that come up to your knees or thighs. Made me think of you guys and Haiz :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8836 on: July 31, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
I've seen some being sold but they tend to be tiny ones, ranging from tabletop size to one metre tall. Most people use plastic trees instead. The few forests that are currently growing are sort of out of bounds for Christmas tree chopping, with the exception of last year when a winter storm totaled the Oslo Tree the very night after it had been brought to its place and a new one had to be found in a rush.

That's funny because I think it was last year people made a big fuzz about us maybe not sending a 22k euro tree.

one very popular suggestion was Fimbulvetur. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is like the traditional Icelandic way except on a micro scale.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8837 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

That's Öskjuhlíð isn't it? Hmmmm, you live in Canada, you cannot in all seriousness say that a patch of trees that takes less than an hour to walk around is a forest so you must be teasing me.

(Awesome dress is awesome by the way, it suits you really well!)

That's funny because I think it was last year people made a big fuzz about us maybe not sending a 22k euro tree.

Norway sent one regardless and alas, the ones opposing might have had a point... the tree really did not survive Iceland a single day. :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8838 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
Violas! You look adorable and so does the dress!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8839 on: July 31, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
That's Öskjuhlíð isn't it? Hmmmm, you live in Canada, you cannot in all seriousness say that a patch of trees that takes less than an hour to walk around is a forest so you must be teasing me.

I did say Icelandic forest ;) It's on the side of the hill that Perlan is on, I'm not sure what it's called. We walked there from HÍ one afternoon.

A real Canadian forest:

Oh yeah and I live in a forest. This was taken in my backyard:

(Awesome dress is awesome by the way, it suits you really well!)
Violas! You look adorable and so does the dress!

Thank you so much! :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:02:50 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8840 on: July 31, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »

A real Canadian forest:

You guys are forgetting, Canada is REALLY BIG okay.
Because that is not what it looks like where I live.
It's more like this:
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8841 on: July 31, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »
I did say Icelandic forest ;) It's on the side of the hill that Perlan is on, I'm not sure what it's called. We walked there from HÍ one afternoon.

A real Canadian forest:

Yup, that would be Öskjuhlíð indeed! The Ásatrú temple will be built there in the following few years by the way.

The Canadian forest gets my full approval, that indeed looks forest-y. *nod nod*

It's more like this:

Where you live looks a lot like Iceland, if Iceland had plenty more people!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #8842 on: July 31, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
Where you live looks a lot like Iceland, if Iceland had plenty more people!
And here is an informative video of the drive from my city to the next biggest city. It's... not very interesting. You go straight north for 3 hours. Sometimes there's a tree. Mostly it's just farms.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8843 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »

A real Canadian forest:

Oh yeah and I live in a forest. This was taken in my backyard:

Thank you so much! :)
Lovely!
Oh hey, I've never asked. What part of Canada are you from? I used to live in Calgary, Alberta, and my family is all still up there. Also have some relatives in Winnipeg that we visit often, and I've been to Sascatchuan (So basically, I know most of cental Canada).

And the dress is super cute by the way
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8844 on: July 31, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
It's more like this:

WHOA
THAT LOOKS LIKE CALGARY

ARE YOU FROM CALGARY?

DUDE
I'M FROM CALGARY
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #8845 on: July 31, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
WHOA
THAT LOOKS LIKE CALGARY

ARE YOU FROM CALGARY?

DUDE
I'M FROM CALGARY
It is! Who else would have THAT MUCH ROOM to urban sprawl all over the place \
(i'm sorry, I have feelings)

Um, but yeah I've lived in Calgary for a while. Like, 10 years, and then spent about 2 years in Vancouver for school, now I am back.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8846 on: July 31, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »
It's more like this:

Oh yeah the plains. Those provinces are really really flat. I have photos from when I was there, but it's been..... ummmmmm wow I don't think I've been back to the plains since before I started high school. *suddenly misses friends who live there*

Yup, that would be Öskjuhlíð indeed! The Ásatrú temple will be built there in the following few years by the way.

The Canadian forest gets my full approval, that indeed looks forest-y. *nod nod*

Oh neat! I was reading about that temple in the news. It actually made the news here and I was so surprised to see Iceland in the news. The only other time Iceland was in the news here in the last two years was when it was announced as the most gender equal country.

That Canadian forest photo was taken when I was in Nova Scotia. It's a really great forest with lots of strange creepy looking trees.

Lovely!
Oh hey, I've never asked. What part of Canada are you from? I used to live in Calgary, Alberta, and my family is all still up there. Also have some relatives in Winnipeg that we visit often, and I've been to Sascatchuan (So basically, I know most of cental Canada).

And the dress is super cute by the way
Thanks! :)

I've kinda lived all over and been all over. I think I was once in Calgary for a plane stopover, I dunno if that counts though :P I've got relatives in BC, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec and really close family friends in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. In twoish weeks I'm moving to Ottawa, and I was born in Ontario. (I have also lived in California and New Jersey)

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8847 on: July 31, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
It is! Who else would have THAT MUCH ROOM to urban sprawl all over the place \
(i'm sorry, I have feelings)

Um, but yeah I've lived in Calgary for a while. Like, 10 years, and then spent about 2 years in Vancouver for school, now I am back.
No, I totally get your feels. Ever time I visit, it always shocks me just how long it takes to get from one side of the city to the other. Like, an hour to get from the west side to the east! It just keeps going! So flat and spread out, I'm not used to it: here in So Cal, there is a lot more congestion, not as much space to spread out. In LA, people practically live on top of each other!

But all criticism aside, I really to love Calgary. The weather is cool with their unexpected storms, but the winters can be rather unforgiving.  :-\

Feartheviolas: Woooow, you've been to a bunch of different places all across Canada! I'm so jelly! I've never been to the east coast, it's something I'd like to do sometime.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #8848 on: July 31, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
And here is an informative video of the drive from my city to the next biggest city. It's... not very interesting. You go straight north for 3 hours.
Is that a U.S.-style "speed limit 55 mph" sign I've seen towards the beginning?
* JoB still has to drive 2h back home this evening with a cruise speed of 100 mph, wherever permitted
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

« Reply #8849 on: July 31, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
And for Laufey and Mélusine the dress:
Spoiler: show

And me in the dress. This took forever to take, I hate selfies I'm so bad at them ugh.

My room with all my stuff on the floor because moving don't judge :P

Also in the shop they have a whole wall of vintage tights and really long colourful socks that come up to your knees or thighs. Made me think of you guys and Haiz :)
Good choice, Vi :)

11PM, the perfect hour... to bake scones for tomorrow morning.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: