Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387413 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8760 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how the NCC is organized/run (like, is it separate from Närcon and just happens to coincide/use the same facilities, or is it part of it?) but I've definitely been to cons before where the sheer volume of people attending was underestimated which lead to huge delays for everyone (being forced to line up prior to entry, even WITH a pass, and then missing a panel because you were 5 minutes late from standing in line? Yeah, not fun). So, I wonder if that was part of it? I agree that you guys probably should've been provided with separate facilities though, since your schedules are so packed

NCC is a part of Närcon. I hear that originally the plan was to have each participating country organize the event at their turn, but in the end it became sort of Närcon's "property" - possibly because arranging it is a lot of work not many conventions wish to shoulder, possibly because Närcon wants to keep doing it. Large crowd definitely affected things a lot, about 8000 convention goers if the amount of tickets is any judge. I'm hoping next year's competitors will have things run a bit better for them, at least by the bare necessities (dressing rooms, showers, toilets, food, toilets and a chance of keeping warm on the backstage).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8761 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
NCC is a part of Närcon. I hear that originally the plan was to have each participating country organize the event at their turn, but in the end it became sort of Närcon's "property" - possibly because arranging it is a lot of work not many conventions wish to shoulder, possibly because Närcon wants to keep doing it. Large crowd definitely affected things a lot, about 8000 convention goers if the amount of tickets is any judge. I'm hoping next year's competitors will have things run a bit better for them, at least by the bare necessities (dressing rooms, showers, toilets, food, toilets and a chance of keeping warm on the backstage).
Oh, are you not competing next year?

Still, from what you said it sounds like lots of people are talking about it online, so I hope the organizes will take all this feedback to heart and fix things in the future :)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8762 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »
Oh, are you not competing next year?

Nope - next year I'll be Iceland's representative for the judge team! It's usually a previous year's competitor for each country and since Iceland only sends one competitor per year it's an almost automatic judge pass, unless you've a close relationship with the competitor of the year or refuse the position, in which case the person who comes second in the Iceland semifinals will be the judge instead.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8763 on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:26 AM »
Nope - next year I'll be Iceland's representative for the judge team! It's usually a previous year's competitor for each country and since Iceland only sends one competitor per year it's an almost automatic judge pass, unless you've a close relationship with the competitor of the year or refuse the position, in which case the person who comes second in the Iceland semifinals will be the judge instead.

! You now have a terrific opportunity to make SSSS more famous: Show up as Sigrun, the most best benevolent judge there is.

"You couldn't kill a troll with that sword if it actively tried to help you! DQ!!"

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8764 on: July 30, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »

What is the basis for the amount of competitors there are? Is it based on population or something else?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8765 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »
! You now have a terrific opportunity to make SSSS more famous: Show up as Sigrun, the most best benevolent judge there is.

"You couldn't kill a troll with that sword if it actively tried to help you! DQ!!"

I've a feeling that by next year no one needs to make SSSS famous, at least if the fandom keeps growing with the same speed as recently... that said, Sigrun cosplay would be pretty ideal for a con since it allows both for warmth and coolness, just add or shed some layers. :D

What is the basis for the amount of competitors there are? Is it based on population or something else?

The population of the cosplay community! In Iceland cosplay is a relatively new hobby so we're few and many are beginners at this point. NCC demands professional skills and hopefully some amount of experience since being on stage can be terrifying with the audience as large as NCC tends to have, so Iceland sends in one competitor per year until the cosplay communities here are large and strong enough.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8766 on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:51 AM »
Sigrun as a judge would be wonderful.

update from your resident kitchen mook haiz - here's a list of things they've called me in the absence of a name tag:
- Kitty (Kočičko)
- Goldie (Zlatíčko)
- Little girl (Holčičko)
- Georgina (?? ?? ??)
- Hanna (+ Hanka, Hanička)
- Glasses (Brejlatá)
- Helena, Helenka, Helča (but never Helen)

I've also realized 'kitty' is the go-to petname for any young female (or seemingly female) summer workers. You may now imagine a hotel breakfast buffet driven entirely by kittens. you're welcome
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8767 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
I've also realized 'kitty' is the go-to petname for any young female (or seemingly female) summer workers. You may now imagine a hotel breakfast buffet driven entirely by kittens. you're welcome

I have a feeling that once I get my new computer/tablet thing I am going to end up with an insane digital art trigger reflex. I think your drawing habits are dangerously contagious. I need to draw this right now, and I have no idea how to even draw a buffet.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8768 on: July 30, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
I have a feeling that once I get my new computer/tablet thing I am going to end up with an insane digital art trigger reflex. I think your drawing habits are dangerously contagious. I need to draw this right now, and I have no idea how to even draw a buffet.
HEE HEEE

well, the buffet is just a long table with a lot of food on it
- basket of breads
- eggs. all kinds. fried boiled scrambled, it's there
- potatoes
- cheese + ham
- fruit salad
- thai noodles
- sausages + klobasas
- vegetables like tomato cucumber and pepper
- sweet pastries
- THE PANCAKE STAND (with a kitten attending to it, makin 'n servin pancakes to the People)
- bacon
- beans in red sauce
- porridge
- jams
- butter

aaaaaaand that's all i have memorized bc I've only kept a watch on the Far Left Buffet and not the Central Buffet which has more stuff

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8769 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
aaaaaaand that's all i have memorized bc I've only kept a watch on the Far Left Buffet and not the Central Buffet which has more stuff

There is more than one buffet? I once took a course in gourmet cooking and food preperation, so my brain is full of random information on how to properly set up a buffet and prepare it to minimize confusion, keep people interested in the food, and make it look presentable. There's specific ways to lay out a platter so that as people take from it, it still looks appetizing. It's an art all by itself. Also there are people who just sit in hotels and restaurants to see what is most popular at a buffet to help plan for what should be served and when. I have a list somewhere.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8770 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
There is more than one buffet? I once took a course in gourmet cooking and food preperation, so my brain is full of random information on how to properly set up a buffet and prepare it to minimize confusion, keep people interested in the food, and make it look presentable. There's specific ways to lay out a platter so that as people take from it, it still looks appetizing. It's an art all by itself. Also there are people who just sit in hotels and restaurants to see what is most popular at a buffet to help plan for what should be served and when. I have a list somewhere.
well, it's the breakfast buffet so I just mean there are three tables/buffets but they all got mostly the same stuff - the Breakfast Essentials. The central one has some more things. It's necessary because at most there can be over 1000 guests each morning and....... yeAH

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8771 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »

I'm picturing it, but I can only see chaos and chaos upon chaos, like the anarchic service-end equivalent of this.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8772 on: July 30, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »
well, it's the breakfast buffet so I just mean there are three tables/buffets but they all got mostly the same stuff - the Breakfast Essentials. The central one has some more things. It's necessary because at most there can be over 1000 guests each morning and....... yeAH

Wow so many people :o

I was thinking of doing something like you are doing in Iceland next year. My friend's mom was telling me they could use me in the tourist industry because I speak french and they get a lot of french tourists and not many icelanders know french. I have a place to stay, I'd just have to find a job.

I'm picturing it, but I can only see chaos and chaos upon chaos, like the anarchic service-end equivalent of this.

Fimby how do you even know that video exists??
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:29:50 AM by Feartheviolas »

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8773 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
yeah this video is much less chaotic than a 1000 person breakfast buffet
also hilarious

Wow so many people :o

I was thinking of doing something like you are doing in Iceland next year. My friend's mom was telling me they could use me in the tourist industry because I speak french and they get a lot of french tourists and not many icelanders know french. I have a place to stay, I'd just have to find a job.

I understand what you mean :// it's like places are being turned into tourist kitsch and it's sad
when I was in iceland for two weeks in... 2005? we drove around the country and camped in tents and stuff it was amazing. I remember collecting thyme for tea and thyme tea is my favourite now because of that
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:30:11 AM by Feartheviolas »

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #8774 on: July 30, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8: