Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387877 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8490 on: July 22, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
Good to hear you made it ok!

Hmm as for crazy plane stories... Our family has a tendacy to end up on planes with famous people: Stevie Wondor, NHL hockey players, The Bare Naked Ladies, some actor my dad recgonised but I didn't who then got super drunk. On the way back from Japan I sat next to this tiny little old man who spent the entire flight with his feet in the seat pocket with the magazines and barf bags. That's probably my strangest plane story.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #8491 on: July 22, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
Laufey: I have a question about the drunk woman, how the security let her pass if she was drunk? Like, that would be illegal in Spain (I think)... As for the other thing, yes, go to sleep and rest after that :3

As for me, hello from the airport. We're leaving in 2 hours and arriving to Spain at 6 p.m. :P I won't be online until 8 p.m. Maybe??
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Mélusine

« Reply #8492 on: July 22, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
Nearly time to go for my own summer adventure :) I'm a-little-stressed-but-excited-or-something-like-that !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #8493 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »
Laufey: I have a question about the drunk woman, how the security let her pass if she was drunk? Like, that would be illegal in Spain (I think)...
IIUC airline passengers(-to-be) being drunk isn't considered a security problem per se, so the decision whether a drunk but nonoffensive passenger will be allowed onto the flight is up to the captain of that flight. Which permits for personal preferences, as well as some conflict of interest ...

(And then there's the fact that for most Nordic countries, their higher tax rates for alcohol makes such beverages markedly more expensive at home than in randomly chosen other countries. I let you guess what that means WRT crews being used to handling less-than-sober passengers .......)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8494 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »
Laufey!!! I'm glad you arrived safe and sound despite annoying passengers and gardemoen being boring. I hope you'll have the time to give us updates on how it's going!

I've finally gotten the hang of peeling and cutting apples without harming myself. I think Unlos' self-insert would be proud of me.

the most exciting thing to happen today was when one of the breakfast waitresses took hold of my shoulders - I froze because oh gosh heck dang did I do something wrong again (I had spilled water over half the kitchen just a few minutes earlier) - but she just told me "that boy polishing cutlery is interested in you" and smiled knowingly. first laundry cart boy, now cutlery polishing boy? OH GOLLY GEE.
I didn't even recognize the boy, though. I polished cutlery all last week and I could not remember seeing him before. I murmured something about him not knowing me and waitress lady was all "get to know eachother! I'm not joking!" but I think it's a joke. It's always a joke. If 'Haiz's Hotel Hijinks' was a tv series it would have the most boring romantic drama of all time. "get to know eachother" more like "hi hello i'm not a girl and i'm not into boys sorry to disappoint you bye"

I'm not gonna lie, though, I did spend the next hour idly wondering about it, because hey brain is bored and needs something to think about while I'm flaying apples. Let's say it's not a joke and he has somehow expressed interest in me. the tiny kid lowkey flailing around in the kitchen area that has barely sent a glance his way. the question is, why. I don't really talk a lot at work, and even when I do, I'm not saying anything interesting except "I'm from Norway. yeah I guess it's pretty over there. and cold. yeah. yup." He's surrounded by pretty girls, and I'm, well, me? I mean I look allright but I think my face is pretty forgettable/normal-looking, and it's not like I use any makeup, and my hair isn't green anymore, either. I'm wearing the same uniform as everyone around me. I think the only personality trait of mine that is possible to observe under the circumstances is how incredibly awkward and unexperienced I am at everything?
so, WHY?
Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine but I don't understand how anyone can show interest in a person they know literally nothing about?? does he have a thing for people clumsily spilling water everywhere? is that it? or is he just asking around who in the kitchen is single or not? because I think I told his cutlery polishing colleague last week that I didn't have a boyfriend. WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING ABOUT THAT ANYWAY

(maybe I should start answering that I'm married to a webcomic)

Nearly time to go for my own summer adventure :) I'm a-little-stressed-but-excited-or-something-like-that !
EEEEE i'm so excited for tomorrow after work
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:10:11 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8495 on: July 22, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »
Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine but I don't understand how anyone can show interest in a person they know literally nothing about??

That's perfectly possible and quite normal, but it's not usually interest for something requiring loads of long-term commitment in my experience.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #8496 on: July 22, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
That's perfectly possible and quite normal, but it's not usually interest for something requiring loads of long-term commitment in my experience.
Agreed. I know I'm sometimes attracted to someone I know almost nothing about because I want to learn more about them. Usually wears off and I find that the person is cool to hang out with regardless.

Also congrats on your sunken ship Fimby!
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8497 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
I didn't really understand that sentence but yeah sure.

i think my problem is that
my previous experience with people "showing interest" in me is that's it's almost always as a joke
one time was a very obvious prank-call
another was a guy in my class who either really did like me OR tried to get a 'achievement accomplished' medal, but all of his ridiculous "advances" were so... not the way you'd want to court me at all - i mean, even if it were a plausible accomplishment... it made me so angry because he had known me for three years and still knew me the least of everyone in my entire class. so either he a) liked the idea of a haiz that doesn't match up with the actual haiz at all, or b) saw the haiz as a prize to be won. so it always gives off a "hahaha IMAGINE DATING HAIZ WHAT AN INCREDIBLY FUNNY JOKE" feel, y'know?

anyway

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8498 on: July 22, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »
I didn't really understand that sentence but yeah sure.

Å vise interesse i folk man ikke kjenner,
Er ganske vanlig at folk gjør,
Men når folk viser interesse for noen de ikke i det hele tatt kjenner
Er det sjelden fordi de ser for seg et engasjert langtidsforhold med personen
Og hvis de sier de gjør det så lurer de seg selv
Etter min erfaring

*twirls teaspoon*

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8499 on: July 22, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
Etter min erfaring

*twirls teaspoon*
okei takk det gir mening nå. setningsforståelse: nivå haiz

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8500 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »

For a second there I thought the guy was holding some blobby four-armed troll and got very confused :P
you know you're an SSSS addict when...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8501 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
a) liked the idea of a haiz that doesn't match up with the actual haiz at all, or

To be honest, that's pretty common in basically every relationship, romantic or platonic or what have you. People will always have some idea of "you" that will be different than your own. I guess the trick is to reconcile those...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8502 on: July 22, 2015, 01:09:32 PM »
Etter min erfaring

*twirls teaspoon*

Tölum við ekki ensku núna? :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8503 on: July 22, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »
For a second there I thought the guy was holding some blobby four-armed troll and got very confused :P
you know you're an SSSS addict when...
polishing enormous amounts of cutlery more like

To be honest, that's pretty common in basically every relationship, romantic or platonic or what have you. People will always have some idea of "you" that will be different than your own. I guess the trick is to reconcile those...
that's very true. It's just... so offensive when people's idea of 'you' is SO DIFFERENT from who you actually are, and you just want people to like you for who you are as a person but they get it so wrong
...ok so maybe i harbour a lot of bitterness from my old schools

Tölum við ekki ensku núna? :P
nah just me who needed a translation bc my reading comprehension wandered off

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8504 on: July 22, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
OK, awkward stories time.
So, I was at this festival-thing with my family. And I was talking to some of the other youngish people there, including this one guy about my age who had been there last year, we'd also interacted then and exchanged emails then because he was a fairly nice person, and turned out to also be from Seattle. And in the car on the way home, my parents got out to stretch their legs.
My sister (who's 12): "btw [guy] says he thinks you're hot"
Me: "WHAT"
Her: "well he did like you enough last year to get your email"
Me: "....?"
Me: ???
Me: "I have never been interested in being in a relationship. I spent half the weekend tripping on tumbleweeds (those things are VICIOUS). I am covered in dust. I do not care (and never have cared) what I look like. WHAT."
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: