Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387948 times)

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8475 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:39 AM »
Hi hi! I just got back from Camp Denali in Alaska! It was super fun! I should go to sleep now. Me and my brother's plan is sleep really late, then get up, sneak in the house to get food, and pretend to be asleep whenever someone comes in the RV. We are in an RV. In Alaska. Fuuuuun!!!
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #8476 on: July 21, 2015, 04:09:52 AM »
She sounds like a living embodiment of Finland in a way. [...] Have to admit, when you said she taught you how to use knives I initially thought you meant for fighting.
Well, for all we know, Finnish "family secret" mushrooms could be special ... :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #8477 on: July 21, 2015, 04:42:53 AM »
Yes.
Though not mushroom species mentioned. One of the most delicious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_morel
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #8478 on: July 21, 2015, 05:21:05 AM »
Yes.
Though not mushroom species mentioned. One of the most delicious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_morel
But I trust that Finnish does have names for (edible) mushrooms along the lines of "frizzy hen", "blood champignon", "Judas ear", or "trumpet of the dead", doesn't it? ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #8479 on: July 21, 2015, 05:46:50 AM »
Not really. I didn't recognize but the last which would be "mustatorvisieni", black horn/trumpet mushroom. Generally mushroom names tend to be linked with their appearance and/or environment (trees they grow with). And False morel would be "korvasieni", which is ear mushroom. Descriptive, but not very threatening.
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #8480 on: July 21, 2015, 06:24:48 AM »
Being logical : I still have things to do before my own little adventure which will begin tomorrow afternoon, what if I was backing something ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8481 on: July 21, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
Laufey: I'M VERY EXCITED FOR YOU I THINK IT'S GONNA GO AWESOME!!!!

^me, cheering for u all the way from cz

RTR: it's fun to read about your Adult Quest because we're in a bit of a similar situation, no? far away from home, doing work... and now I, too have a lot of cuts on my hand. Not from cutting frames, though, just completely failing at peeling apples.

TODAY in the haiz hotel quest; trial by fire. or more like, trial by cooking/baking... crumpets? google tells me crumpets. I had no idea this is what crumpets were. Thick pancake-like things? yeah? ANYWAY i was making those at the breakfast buffet today. There were rows of people waiting for their cake and I just kept messing up. Literally. I got dough everywhere, like in my hair. eyebrow. glasses too, I think. And whenever I mastered an aspect of the making, I messed up at something else. Either I was too slow, making them the wrong size, too thick, not done enough, and so on and so on. I did get the hang of it at the very end, but phew... that was intense. The cooks may be a little shouty and sound pretty stern, but I think they're being patient with me. they have to ha ha ha

...iii think I'm gonna go wash my hair now
you'll know where to find me.

daiseerose

« Reply #8482 on: July 21, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
Hi hi! I just got back from Camp Denali in Alaska! It was super fun! I should go to sleep now. Me and my brother's plan is sleep really late, then get up, sneak in the house to get food, and pretend to be asleep whenever someone comes in the RV. We are in an RV. In Alaska. Fuuuuun!!!
That must have been! I really miss it.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8483 on: July 21, 2015, 12:29:47 PM »
We were walking around Reykjavík earlier and we stopped at this touristy place for some water and it was full of Norwegians. They were all covered in Norwegian flags.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #8484 on: July 21, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
First, why I'm awake yet. Sleep you fool //shot

Second, I was in the Vatican City. Geez, I wanted to steal all of the art though! Mostly the Michelangelo's masterpieces and the sculptures of Hercules and Perseus! They're awesome as heck! :0 And there were strange sculptures with strange masks. The masks were like AAEEAEAEEEAEOOOOOEOOA because, Jesus Christ, THAT MOUTH. And today is my last day in Rome. Goodbye to Italy :c
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8485 on: July 21, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
We were walking around Reykjavík earlier and we stopped at this touristy place for some water and it was full of Norwegians. They were all covered in Norwegian flags.

Well, it might possibly be a bit one-sided (what do I know), but I think a lot of Norwegians feel a kind of nostalgic connection to Iceland y'know - them being part-Norwegian fugitives and all. It doesn't surprise me that they feel like advertising their Norwegianess (something Norwegians abroad don't usually bother with).

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #8486 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
Well, it might possibly be a bit one-sided (what do I know), but I think a lot of Norwegians feel a kind of nostalgic connection to Iceland y'know - them being part-Norwegian fugitives and all. It doesn't surprise me that they feel like advertising their Norwegianess (something Norwegians abroad don't usually bother with).

According to "How to Care for Your Norwegian: An Illustrated Guide", Norwegian patriotism is usually kept concealed under the hair.  These were probably Minnesotans.
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8487 on: July 21, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »
Welp that was quite a day. Flying out at ungodly hour, being stuck near a drunken talkative woman who told her hapless neighbour her life story, screamed half the time because she was afraid of flying, tried to elbow a steward when he refused to sell her more alcohol and topped the whole thing with loud HALLELUJAH I LOVE GOD AND HIS SONWEDIDNTDIE as we landed in Oslo. A few boring hours later we caught our connecting flight and who might get on it but the same woman, even more drunk and now gropy at the poor stewards. More screaming and hallelujahs for reaching Arlanda...

From there we made our way to Linkoping. It's half past one a.m. and maybe I should get some sleep. On positive note though, free wifi! I won't be able to be online too much though, the schedule is a bit tight...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8488 on: July 21, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
Welp that was quite a day. Flying out at ungodly hour, being stuck near a drunken talkative woman who told her hapless neighbour her life story, screamed half the time because she was afraid of flying, tried to elbow a steward when he refused to sell her more alcohol and topped the whole thing with loud HALLELUJAH I LOVE GOD AND HIS SONWEDIDNTDIE as we landed in Oslo. A few boring hours later we caught our connecting flight and who might get on it but the same woman, even more drunk and now gropy at the poor stewards. More screaming and hallelujahs for reaching Arlanda...

From there we made our way to Linkoping. It's half past one a.m. and maybe I should get some sleep. On positive note though, free wifi! I won't be able to be online too much though, the schedule is a bit tight...
Yes, sleep is great! :D Just like free wifi!

Glad you got there safely, but yeah, lousy plane neighbors suck. I once had to fly from Frankfurt back to Canada (9 hours) and the guy next to me (I had the window seat) fell asleep right away and I felt too awkward to wake him up when I needed to go to the bathroom ._. so I just waited... for 9 hours...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8489 on: July 21, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
I will share in poor plane partners! Actually, my neighbor was quite pleasant, but the couple in front of us decided to have a pillow fight mid-flight. And when we asked them to stop because it was moving all the seats around them, they just ignored us and kept going! They seemed to have no concept of respecting others' space...

Sleep solves all problems. Well, not really, but you should still do it :P

:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!