Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409395 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8295 on: July 16, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
It's such an odd feeling for me, to be walking around at 2am and have it be light outside (I don't really have a habit of walking around at 2am at home, but my point here is the light, not my worsening sleeping habits).

Some photos from yesterday:
This one was taken shortly before midnight

And this one at about 2:30ish. We got home at 3 and the sky was getting lighter, so this is really as dark as it gets now

And surprisingly enough, I find it really easy to sleep, even with the light (this may have something to do with the fact that I didn't sleep for like 48 hours though).
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8296 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »
It's such an odd feeling for me, to be walking around at 2am and have it be light outside (I don't really have a habit of walking around at 2am at home, but my point here is the light, not my worsening sleeping habits).
ahhhhhhh I fiercely miss the light nights up north right now...... I'm not used to it getting dark.

this is what it looked like here around 9pm

(actual proof i did go outside today at all)
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #8297 on: July 16, 2015, 06:18:24 PM »
ahhhhhhh I fiercely miss the light nights up north right now...... I'm not used to it getting dark.

this is what it looked like here around 9pm

(actual proof i did go outside today at all)
Haaaaaaa, architecture ! (What, "It's not the subject" ?)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8298 on: July 16, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
Haaaaaaa, architecture ! (What, "It's not the subject" ?)
welcome to the general discussion thread there is no subject and nothing is off topic
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:24:18 PM by Haiz »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8299 on: July 16, 2015, 07:21:10 PM »
Noooooo, I just came back from the hairdresser's and they cut my hair about two inches shorter than I wanted it because of a misunderstanding and I hate it. It's practically chin-length. *pouts* ...I want my long hair back.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8300 on: July 16, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »
Noooooo, I just came back from the hairdresser's and they cut my hair about two inches shorter than I wanted it because of a misunderstanding and I hate it. It's practically chin-length. *pouts* ...I want my long hair back.

Welcome to chin-length town, it's drafty here.

On the bright side 2 inches is not that severe. Did you at least get a refund?

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8301 on: July 16, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »

*hugs* That sounds really frustrating. I had something similar happen to me once a few months ago, but that was my own fault because I tried to trim my own bangs and it didn't quite work out  ::)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8302 on: July 16, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »

Oh, I sympathize!  I hate when that happens.  (And whenever I go visit my parents, my mother begs to cut my hair.  I think she feels it's age-inappropriate for someone over 40 to have long hair.  I'd show her pictures of Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris, but I don't quiiiite think that's how she wants her only daughter to look.... 8))

The only consolation is that hair grows.  And if you have to have it short, I suppose it's better in the hottest, most humid time of year...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8303 on: July 16, 2015, 08:14:12 PM »
Welcome to chin-length town, it's drafty here.

On the bright side 2 inches is not that severe. Did you at least get a refund?

Well, it's severe to me if I was already cutting it above my shoulders. :P And nah, no refund...

*hugs* That sounds really frustrating. I had something similar happen to me once a few months ago, but that was my own fault because I tried to trim my own bangs and it didn't quite work out  ::)

Y'know, if I could learn how to cut my own hair, I'd never go to the hairdresser's again because they never understand what I want.

Oh, I sympathize!  I hate when that happens.  (And whenever I go visit my parents, my mother begs to cut my hair.  I think she feels it's age-inappropriate for someone over 40 to have long hair.  I'd show her pictures of Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris, but I don't quiiiite think that's how she wants her only daughter to look.... 8))

The only consolation is that hair grows.  And if you have to have it short, I suppose it's better in the hottest, most humid time of year...

Yeah, I know my hair grows quickly but it can't grow two inches in two days so I can't console myself. I usually cut it in August before I go back to school, so at least I didn't do that and start school with a haircut I'm upset with. What's worse was I went to the same hairdresser (well, the same hairdresser chain, not the same place) when I got a haircut last year, and they nearly cut it this short last year until I corrected the stylist last minute. (-"You wanted chin-length, right?" -"No!!") I told my mom that I didn't like this hairdresser and I preferred [specific other hairdresser], and she said she hadn't even considered that place. ⋋_⋌

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8304 on: July 16, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
Y'know, if I could learn how to cut my own hair, I'd never go to the hairdresser's again because they never understand what I want.

I have short hair so I have to get it cut about every two months, so this is actually a nice thing to be able to do, and I actually did cut my own hair for a while. I just tried trimming it one time and it worked pretty well, so then I decided I could cut hair. But then last January I screwed it up and have been too scared to try it ever since. You can't tell what I did now because it grew back, but yeah definitely learn something first because otherwise it could go horribly wrong.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8305 on: July 16, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »
Haha, so today I was entrusted with my first daily order: twenty foam-core backboards cut to the dimensions of 18x24, due to be picked up by the customer today. So I choppity-chopped away like a busy beaver and did the best job I could. One of the framers double-checked the measurements before I wrapped them up and short story shorter he had to cut out twenty foam-core backboards cut to the dimensions of 18x24. *hides head in shame*
Also one of the other framers started laughing because there's a drop of dried blood on the glass cutter. I'm glad that some joy was derived from my pain.
And I asked another framer about her tattoo on her arm (which said "Never forget") and she told me that she got it when her then-boyfriend was in a coma after a car wreck and possibly dying and it was a tattoo he had always said he wanted so she got it for him in case he never got the chance, and then it turned out he had been cheating on her with multiple women over the past three years. Which then sent her spiraling into a really bad place that she's only recently managed to climb out of. And so now she's trying to find something else for the tattoo to symbolize, and so far all she's been able to come up with is to write her grocery list underneath it.
Fourth day down! (I really do love this job, though, it's just that the good bits don't make nearly as good stories.)
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8306 on: July 17, 2015, 12:51:10 AM »
hahaha I usually go to the hairdresser when my attempts at cutting my own hair finally go awry. ooor when I'm in czech, we've been going to the same family-friend hairdresser for as long as I can remember. she starts mixing up the hair dyes the moment I enter the place

And I asked another framer about her tattoo on her arm (which said "Never forget") and she told me that she got it when her then-boyfriend was in a coma after a car wreck and possibly dying and it was a tattoo he had always said he wanted so she got it for him in case he never got the chance, and then it turned out he had been cheating on her with multiple women over the past three years. Which then sent her spiraling into a really bad place that she's only recently managed to climb out of. And so now she's trying to find something else for the tattoo to symbolize, and so far all she's been able to come up with is to write her grocery list underneath it.
well, 10 points for functionality...

your work sounds pretty great though O: I do spend most of my work time here flailing awkwardly around. except this week because I'm getting pretty competent at utensil polishing. I'm so sick of polishing but I don't dare wish for anything else because some coworkers volunteer for polishing duty because the alternative is worse. I'm scared.

at least both the head cher and head housekeeper has passed me by and asked if I don't want to rather work for them next week and since my answer is pretty much "ANYTHING BUT THIS" but uh a teensy bit more professional...

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #8307 on: July 17, 2015, 06:52:34 AM »
Haaaaaaa, architecture !
Haaaaaaaarchitecture, n.: Architecture that is remarkable enough to instantly become the new discussion topic of groups passing by, or causes people to post in online fora to address it. Mainly occuring in proximity to the --> Haaaaaaaiz.

(Yes, I like The Devil's Dictionary a lot, why? :P )

And whenever I go visit my parents, my mother begs to cut my hair.  I think she feels it's age-inappropriate for someone over 40 to have long hair.
Let's see, what iconic hair fashion role models are there in my profession ... ?

One of the framers double-checked the measurements before I wrapped them up and short story shorter he had to cut out twenty foam-core backboards cut to the dimensions of 18x24.
"Cut it thrice already and it's still too short", as the German idiom goes ... :D

And I asked another framer about her tattoo on her arm (which said "Never forget") and she told me that she got it when her then-boyfriend was in a coma after a car wreck and possibly dying and it was a tattoo he had always said he wanted so she got it for him in case he never got the chance, and then it turned out he had been cheating on her with multiple women over the past three years. [...] And so now she's trying to find something else for the tattoo to symbolize
Call me cynic and a misanthrope, but I'ld know exactly what lesson therein I'ld want to "never forget" ...

we've been going to the same family-friend hairdresser for as long as I can remember. she starts mixing up the hair dyes the moment I enter the place
"Mixing up" as in "I'll have your personal favorite ready in a minute", or as in "huh, I didn't know I had that color you're now stuck with in stock in the first place"? :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8308 on: July 17, 2015, 07:07:48 AM »
"Mixing up" as in "I'll have your personal favorite ready in a minute", or as in "huh, I didn't know I had that color you're now stuck with in stock in the first place"? :o
as in "I'll have have the purple, red, green and blue ready in a minute"

Mélusine

« Reply #8309 on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »
Haaaaaaaarchitecture, n.: Architecture that is remarkable enough to instantly become the new discussion topic of groups passing by, or causes people to post in online fora to address it. Mainly occuring in proximity to the --> Haaaaaaaiz.

(Yes, I like The Devil's Dictionary a lot, why? :P )
Consequences : stars into Mélusine's eyes, incapacity to pay attention to something else, mostly ending with "Sorry, you said something ? *Pointing something with fascination* Have you seen this wonderful (insert here an architecture haaaaaaaarchitecture term) here ?".
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: