Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409822 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8205 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
Wow, this forum is inspiring someone to follow her dream! 

I have a couple of tips -- one practical, one allegorical.

1. Are there career counselors in Brazil?  My mother is a career counselor in San Francisco.  Her whole profession is to help people with questions just like yours:  "I'm doing ABC but I want to do XYZ; how do I  get there?"  (Other career topics too, of course.)
Some possible tactics, expanding on your very wise instinct to start your queries here, among friends, many of whom are artists:
* Figure out some specific career paths in the art field.  I'm not a lot of help here, but... cartoonist, to start with (Like not only Minna but Danelle Malan, who is both a professional cartoonist and a Forum member, and Der-Shing Helmer of "The Meek" and "Mare Internum," who has written extensively on her Twitter, Tumblr, and comic sites about her training and professional path).  Also:  Medical illustrator; newspaper/magazine graphic artist; editorial cartoonist; concept artist; animator; children's schoolbook illustrator (Der-Shing has done a lot of educational work)...
* Look up people who do the kind of work you want to do, and ask them exactly what you're asking us here.  You could reach out via your college (social connections help open doors!), whatever social media you use (I'm not a Facebooker, but nearly everyone else on the planet is), friends, neighbors, family, colleagues...

2. The French cartoonist Boulet recently did a comic on The Artist's Path to Success:
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2015/05/27/warriors-good-fortune/
The struggles of his warrior character, Mighty Yorgl, are allegories of his efforts to make a career as an artist.  Don't forget to hover your mouse over each row of drawings; he puts interesting comments in those little square bubbles that pop up.  (What are those bubbles on a Web image called -- tooltips?)  Click the REACT link too for a little epilogue.

Hmm, the only one I can think of who does art for a living here is Almond-Goddess. Maybe you should shoot her a pm, I don't think she checks this thread.

Not gonna lie though, I think the art business is really though. Both my sister and two friends have an education in art, and finding relevant, steady employment is really tough for them (even for my sister whose talent borders on the minnaesque).

Thank you very much! I'm looking for answers and advice everywhere right now, and I knew the forum would be a good place to ask. :)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8206 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »
I would pay good money David Attenborough to say this.

"And here we see the majestic Laufey as she goes about her day... posting on forums... obtaining food... evading the predatory Icelandic Cyclist that haunts her every step"

Can't say why but in my mental image version of this she's moving around like a stressed-out penguin. Obtaining food=gobbling down raw herring piecemeal.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8207 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »
Can't say why but in my mental image version of this she's moving around like a stressed-out penguin. Obtaining food=gobbling down raw herring piecemeal.
If you google "stressed-out penguin", this is the first image that you get:

From the horror stories I have heard about Icelandic driving, it seems accurate?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8208 on: July 14, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »
I would pay good money David Attenborough to say this.

"And here we see the majestic Laufey as she goes about her day... posting on forums... obtaining food... evading the predatory Icelandic Cyclist that haunts her every step"

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or I would have shot it out of my nose. :D

Look, I  - ok, but a majestic penguin. Besides herring is delicious so there.

If you google "stressed-out penguin", this is the first image that you get:

From the horror stories I have heard about Icelandic driving, it seems accurate?

THIS DISCUSSION IS HEADING TO UNCOMFORTABLE DIRECTION.

Btw it's true, Icelanders drive like everywhere is a road and because they're all on jeeps, everywhere pretty much IS a road for them. There's even a saying that you use if someone wonders if it's ok to drive wherever the driver is going, you just ask them "Is this not a jeep?" and go.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8209 on: July 14, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »

Ha. The entire time I was driving my friend around last year all I got was "why are you going the speed limit? Why did you stop at that stop sign? Why are you still going the speed limit?"
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #8210 on: July 14, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »
GOOGLE DOESN'T LIE, LAUFEY

but yes, herring IS delicious. I had some grävlax yesterday with mustard sauce and rye bread and it was amazing <3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8211 on: July 14, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
Look, I  - ok, but a majestic penguin. Besides herring is delicious so there.

All penguins are majestic

(Seriously though, how does that species even survive)

GOOGLE DOESN'T LIE, LAUFEY

but yes, herring IS delicious. I had some grävlax yesterday with mustard sauce and rye bread and it was amazing <3

Surely that's salmon though.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8212 on: July 14, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8213 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »

Hmmmm... it's probably a very good thing that Fimby and Solo aren't in Iceland right now....
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8214 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
I would pay good money to David Attenborough to say this.

You forgot "in her magnificent summer plumage"!

Self insert weekend posts commence - no surprises on who I would like to hang out with, the only problem is that me and Sigrun might go at the topic of hanging out a bit differently.

Small explanation - whenever I frill up I go the full way, which often includes wigs of many kinds, gigantic petticoats... and tightlacing corsets. Nope, my waist is definitely not as small in reality as it seems to be in some photos (you could probably punch me in the ribs there and I wouldn't even notice).

They don't REALLY make any sounds when worn.

In the end I did think of something we'd both find fun though!
(Actually don't climb Sólfar, it's not meant for that.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mélusine

« Reply #8215 on: July 14, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
Look, I  - ok, but a majestic penguin.
*Confused somewhere between the accordion troll and the majestic penguin*
... Time to go to sleep, isn't it ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #8216 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »
(Seriously though, how does that species even survive)

Surely that's salmon though.
Yes, but the point is that all fish is amazing. It's kind of inspirational really if you think about it. There are no boundaries - only delicious noms.

More penguins (and probably an accurate representation of my behavior if I ever meet a Laufey:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:47:59 PM by Solovei »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8217 on: July 14, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »

Now that one has the makings of an emperor.

Hmmmm... it's probably a very good thing that Fimby and Solo aren't in Iceland right now....

What's the worst that could happen.

Yes, but the point is that all fish is amazing. It's kind of inspirational really if you think about it. There are no boundaries - only delicious noms.

More penguins (and probably an accurate representation of my behavior if I ever meet a Laufey:

Sharks are also fish.

You headbutt her and flee? Well, I guess, maybe......

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #8218 on: July 14, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »
Now that one has the makings of an emperor.
IMPERATOR LAUFEY!

*V8 salute*

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8219 on: July 14, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
IMPERATOR LAUFEY!

*V8 salute*

Aaagghh too bad Haiz has already gone to bed. We need someone to draw this quickly