Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387533 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8175 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »
Do you need this many pens or are you just collecting?

*sweats nervously*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #8176 on: July 14, 2015, 03:16:56 PM »

Everybody talking about the art supplies, check out this swanky new thread and please respond to pen-related topics there :D

Also,
You're crazy but in a good way, can't wait to see more!

I'm excited! :D It's great practice and I love fabric too much to be healthy
YEET

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8177 on: July 14, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
OBJECTION some of those are clearly markers!

Cut me some slack, I don't have a picture of just the pens!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8178 on: July 14, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
I searched the General Discussion Board and didn't find a suitable thread for me, so I will just ask here.

I'm a graduated Law student ("WHAT" - I know, I know, it is weird even for me), and I'm currently considering another career (or at least a secondary one, if that makes sense).
I always LOVED to draw. I do this since I was little, but I never took any courses and never went to Art School, so most of my art is self taught. For a long time I thought that if I chose to be an artist, I would be forever doomed to poverty, and given how little incentive our school system gives to artists in potential, and how incipient the animation and illustration markets are in Brazil (or at least when compared to USA, for example), I never had a chance to change my mind.
Recently, however (about three years or so), I came across the beauty that is concept art, discovered webcomics, and found out about other brazilian artists that succeeded in their careers (not to mention that I discovered this forum, which has been quite an inspiration for me).
So now I'm really torn up about this. I'm still pursuing a career in law but at the same time I want to dedicate myself to be a really good artist, to fix the art gaps that a lack of proper education has left in me, and maybe change my career path, if things turn out nicely in the end.
I know I'm a little behind on the art part, since it has always been relegated to a mere hobby, but I'm daring to hope that perhaps I can make it?

Sorry about the wall of text. What I am trying to ask is: does anyone here, who does art for a living, has any tips for me? How to start, which courses should I take, where should I focus, etc? Feel free to PM me if you want.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8179 on: July 14, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
Wow, this forum is inspiring someone to follow her dream! 

I have a couple of tips -- one practical, one allegorical.

1. Are there career counselors in Brazil?  My mother is a career counselor in San Francisco.  Her whole profession is to help people with questions just like yours:  "I'm doing ABC but I want to do XYZ; how do I  get there?"  (Other career topics too, of course.)
Some possible tactics, expanding on your very wise instinct to start your queries here, among friends, many of whom are artists:
* Figure out some specific career paths in the art field.  I'm not a lot of help here, but... cartoonist, to start with (Like not only Minna but Danelle Malan, who is both a professional cartoonist and a Forum member, and Der-Shing Helmer of "The Meek" and "Mare Internum," who has written extensively on her Twitter, Tumblr, and comic sites about her training and professional path).  Also:  Medical illustrator; newspaper/magazine graphic artist; editorial cartoonist; concept artist; animator; children's schoolbook illustrator (Der-Shing has done a lot of educational work)...
* Look up people who do the kind of work you want to do, and ask them exactly what you're asking us here.  You could reach out via your college (social connections help open doors!), whatever social media you use (I'm not a Facebooker, but nearly everyone else on the planet is), friends, neighbors, family, colleagues...

2. The French cartoonist Boulet recently did a comic on The Artist's Path to Success:
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2015/05/27/warriors-good-fortune/
The struggles of his warrior character, Mighty Yorgl, are allegories of his efforts to make a career as an artist.  Don't forget to hover your mouse over each row of drawings; he puts interesting comments in those little square bubbles that pop up.  (What are those bubbles on a Web image called -- tooltips?)  Click the REACT link too for a little epilogue. 

I searched the General Discussion Board and didn't find a suitable thread for me, so I will just ask here.

I'm a graduated Law student ("WHAT" - I know, I know, it is weird even for me), and I'm currently considering another career (or at least a secondary one, if that makes sense).
I always LOVED to draw. I do this since I was little, but I never took any courses and never went to Art School, so most of my art is self taught. For a long time I thought that if I chose to be an artist, I would be forever doomed to poverty, and given how little incentive our school system gives to artists in potential, and how incipient the animation and illustration markets are in Brazil (or at least when compared to USA, for example), I never had a chance to change my mind.
Recently, however (about three years or so), I came across the beauty that is concept art, discovered webcomics, and found out about other brazilian artists that succeeded in their careers (not to mention that I discovered this forum, which has been quite an inspiration for me).
So now I'm really torn up about this. I'm still pursuing a career in law but at the same time I want to dedicate myself to be a really good artist, to fix the art gaps that a lack of proper education has left in me, and maybe change my career path, if things turn out nicely in the end.
I know I'm a little behind on the art part, since it has always been relegated to a mere hobby, but I'm daring to hope that perhaps I can make it?

Sorry about the wall of text. What I am trying to ask is: does anyone here, who does art for a living, has any tips for me? How to start, which courses should I take, where should I focus, etc? Feel free to PM me if you want.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8180 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »

Hmm, the only one I can think of who does art for a living here is Almond-Goddess. Maybe you should shoot her a pm, I don't think she checks this thread.

Not gonna lie though, I think the art business is really though. Both my sister and two friends have an education in art, and finding relevant, steady employment is really tough for them (even for my sister whose talent borders on the minnaesque).

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #8181 on: July 14, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
I see your pens and raise you

FYI, I plan to move the posts about art supplies to the nice new designated thread.  Hope you don't mind.  But General Discussion moves so fast, I'd like these not to get lost in the shuffle.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8182 on: July 14, 2015, 04:58:06 PM »
FYI, I plan to move the posts about art supplies to the nice new designated thread.  Hope you don't mind.  But General Discussion moves so fast, I'd like these not to get lost in the shuffle.

Well, I posted that here because it wasn't about my art supplies, I was just showing off (and I've posted it here before, haha). And also my 'just do it' link would seem out of place.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #8183 on: July 14, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
Well, I posted that here because it wasn't about my art supplies, I was just showing off (and I've posted it here before, haha). And also my 'just do it' link would seem out of place.
Don't worry, I wouldn't move any posts that had non-art-supplies content.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8184 on: July 14, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
Don't worry, I wouldn't move any posts that had non-art-supplies content.

*nods* I was just saying because the post you quoted also had an unrelated comment in it.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8185 on: July 14, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »
Helo I barge into the internetz again, this time from český krumlov!! I can't believe I ALMOST DIDN'T GO, because I would have to go on a concert by myself in a city far away, but thankfully my mom convinced me. And I'm so glaf she did.

FIRST OF ALL I won't have to polish anything tomorrow. The latest bus/train back to prague went around 8 o clock, and when the concert started 7.... Sleepover time. I found a super nice hostel that is not only cheap but REALLY CUTE there are paintings on the walls and I'm feeling nostalgic about summer camps for some reason.

SECOND OF ALL the concert was amazing. I've listened to Blackmore's Night all my life and I never thought I'd be actually seeing them live, it's surreal. They played many of my favs and did weird shenanigans like suddenly playing the game of thrones theme in the middle of Loreley. I'm just really really glad I went, alone or not.

THIRD OF ALL the krumlov is such a beautiful place, I started grinning like an idiot the moment I got into the centrum because all the buildings are so old and pretty and there were street musicians on violins at every corner and I can't wait to actually explore tomorrow. There are a lot of tourists here, but nowhere near the level of central prague so that's an immense relief.

fourth of all im having a trdelnik for dinner

aaand that's it, I think im going to bed to get a proper amount of sleep. I'm exhausted and the internet is slow anyway. When I get back tomorrow, expect me crying about my watercolours and inks that I left in norway in the new art supply thread, and posting a bunch of pictures from my Adventure. Good night!
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8186 on: July 14, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »

As much as I like trdelniks I'd never consider them dinner. But you're a special unicorn with special unicorn rules, so hey, enjoy. You'll probably contract major withdrawal symptomes when you return to Norway though.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #8187 on: July 14, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
There are a lot of tourists here, but nowhere near the level of central prague so that's an immense relief.
*Nervous smile*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8188 on: July 14, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »

I had to type that into google and all I can say is
good choice
A+ adulting Haiz

Solo approves
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8189 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:14 PM »
As much as I like trdelniks I'd never consider them dinner. But you're a special unicorn with special unicorn rules, so hey, enjoy. You'll probably contract major withdrawal symptomes when you return to Norway though.
it was a bit of an accident - I bought it before the concert to have as a snack, got to only eat a bite before I entered concert area where it wasnt allowed to eat things from the Outside, concert ends 2230 and I hadnt had dinner......

At least solo approves thanks

*Nervous smile*
Dooon't worry it'll be fiiiineee aha ha
im planning to find some cool places to visit that wont have too many people (besides, if you go to the centrum on thursday/friday I dont think itll be as crowded as on weekends), like parks, or the aquarium, and maybe the mirror maze... We have to go to the mirror maze I gotta find out where it issss
you'll know where to find me.