Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387528 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8085 on: July 11, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
Happy birthday, StellersJayC :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8086 on: July 11, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
Happy birthday!!! *þ and ð shaped confetti*

I'm HOME! For 48 hours. Then I have plane 3 of 3 to Iceland.

I'm going to play a game. It's called How Much Art Can Viola Do In 48 Hours. Starting ummm in about 2 hours when I'm no longer still at the airport :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8087 on: July 11, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
Yeaaaah soon there'll be a Viola in Iceland! I'm making a list of craft shops already. :D

As for me, I'm home and still having some adrenaline shakes from having to record myself singing in an actual studio (the last time for me was in the 90's so it's been a while) and it was just as scary as I remembered it to be. I'm sorry that I have to be annoyingly cryptic about the song etc. but it's for the cosplay competition, surprise surprise, all my life at the moment is just the competition and preparing for it... the competition will be televised in both Finland and Sweden so no doubt it'll be available for viewing at some point. In any case the recording went ok and now I have that bit off my shoulders.

But still, it was terrifying.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8088 on: July 11, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
Yeaaaah soon there'll be a Viola in Iceland! I'm making a list of craft shops already. :D

There goes all my food money...

As for me, I'm home and still having some adrenaline shakes from having to record myself singing in an actual studio (the last time for me was in the 90's so it's been a while) and it was just as scary as I remembered it to be. I'm sorry that I have to be annoyingly cryptic about the song etc. but it's for the cosplay competition, surprise surprise, all my life at the moment is just the competition and preparing for it... the competition will be televised in both Finland and Sweden so no doubt it'll be available for viewing at some point. In any case the recording went ok and now I have that bit off my shoulders.

But still, it was terrifying.

Yay for surviving recordings! Now... how to convince the internet I'm in Sweden so I can watch that...
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8089 on: July 11, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
So, I'm about to go out into 24-degree (predicted high of 30) heat wearing entirely too many layers to a cosplay event.

WITNESS ME, FORUM PEOPLE!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8090 on: July 11, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
So, I'm about to go out into 24-degree (predicted high of 30) heat wearing entirely too many layers to a cosplay event.

SO SHINY, SO CHROME!

Take lots of photos, especially of your own cosplay. All my sympathies for the weather, last year Närcon was total pain with temperatures over 30°C every day (we tried to demand an hour in an ice pit but the Swedes thought we were joking).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8091 on: July 11, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »

Don't die!!

It's 34 here what is this it's hotter than Texas

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #8092 on: July 11, 2015, 12:33:56 PM »
As for me, I'm home and still having some adrenaline shakes from having to record myself singing in an actual studio (the last time for me was in the 90's so it's been a while) and it was just as scary as I remembered it to be.

OMG RIGHT? RIGHT? *hates recording herself singing, whether in a studio or otherwise*

*witnesses* Don't get heatstroke wifey! Drink water!

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8093 on: July 11, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
SO SHINY, SO CHROME!

Take lots of photos, especially of your own cosplay. All my sympathies for the weather, last year Närcon was total pain with temperatures over 30°C every day (we tried to demand an hour in an ice pit but the Swedes thought we were joking).
Ahaha, it's just a closet cosplay so it's not very good (as in, my bangs are too long to pull this off, the tie is the wrong color, etc etc) but I didn't want to be the only one NOT cosplaying :P peer pressure!!!

ALSO I really hope I can leave before people get home because I don't want to have to explain why I'm wearing this many clothes in this weather AND why I'm dressed like a highschool student XD

EDIT: well that didn't happen. at least there were no weird questions
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:08:59 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #8094 on: July 11, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
Wait, what? Nooo I didn't mean to hijack the thread please forgive me.

Anyway, finally answering questions.
A list of competition pieces (though we did sing other things, too): Laudamus Te, Ubi caritas, Psalm 100, Esto les digo, Earth Song, Adoramus te, Christe, In Rememberance, Soulspeak, Beside the Still Waters, Steal Away, I Want Jesus to Walk With Me, Ain'-a That Good News!, City Called Heaven, My Soul's been Anchored in the Lord, and True Light. Of course, some of those songs have a ton of versions and arrangements, so if anyone wants to know which version it is exactly, I'd be happy to help.
And things we saw? Lots and lots of sunflowers, corn, pigeons, and sidewalks made of actual stone rather than concrete. Also there was sparkling water, weird bathrooms, many different kinds of ants, cheap sunglasses, and little, tiny bats. Oh, and we saw some tourist attractions, too. All in all it was a very strange experience but I would totally do it again. :) I had so much fun trying to read signs in the Frankfurt airport without looking at the translations.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #8095 on: July 11, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »
appears

Random realization of the day: clothing stores are actually "Customize your avatar" stores.

disappears
Am notified of private messages via email.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8096 on: July 11, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
For Dane: My favourite fountain pen that I got in Florence, Italy while on tour with my choir a few years ago.

I have several others as well, the one I usually write with for art is a calligraphy pen with like 6 different tip widths, but it's just black and boring looking so I'm not posting a picture of it.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8097 on: July 11, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
Also everything here is huge. The cars and the food and we even saw giant wind chimes that had a sign on them that said "Texas sized wind chimes"

Haha, I have a joke about this, that my cousin used to tell all the time:

Once there was a blind man traveling through Texas, who decided to stop at a diner for breakfast.
Upon arriving, he ordered a cup of coffee. He was given a coffee mug the size of his head.
"Wow, this sure is a lot of coffee!" He exclaimed.
The waitress replied, "Everything's bigger in Texas."
The man decided to order a doughnut instead. The doughnut was the size of a car tire.
"Wow, this sure is a large doughnut," he said.
"Everything's bigger in Texas."
After his meal, the blind man asked the waitress if he could use the bathroom.
"Sure, it's the second door on the right."
Accidentally, the man turns left, and falls into an indoor swimming pool.
Panicked, he yells, "DON'T FLUSH!!"

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8098 on: July 11, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »
Haha, I have a joke about this, that my cousin used to tell all the time:

Once there was a blind man traveling through Texas, who decided to stop at a diner for breakfast.
Upon arriving, he ordered a cup of coffee. He was given a coffee mug the size of his head.
"Wow, this sure is a lot of coffee!" He exclaimed.
The waitress replied, "Everything's bigger in Texas."
The man decided to order a doughnut instead. The doughnut was the size of a car tire.
"Wow, this sure is a large doughnut," he said.
"Everything's bigger in Texas."
After his meal, the blind man asked the waitress if he could use the bathroom.
"Sure, it's the second door on the right."
Accidentally, the man turns left, and falls into an indoor swimming pool.
Panicked, he yells, "DON'T FLUSH!!"

I think I may have heard that before somewhere... it's still funny though :D

Sidenote: You know how they make you put all your liquids in a little bag to go on the plane? I put my paint in the same little plastic bag as my toothpaste, shampoo, and toothbrush. My black paint exploded... I guess I was maybe asking for it...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8099 on: July 11, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
Sidenote: You know how they make you put all your liquids in a little bag to go on the plane? I put my paint in the same little plastic bag as my toothpaste, shampoo, and toothbrush. My black paint exploded... I guess I was maybe asking for it...

Oh noooo D: At least it wasn't oil paint!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: