Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411414 times)

daiseerose

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8070 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
Ahhh ok. I got a candy bar from a store, and it melted, so I had chocolate all over my fingers, and I couldn't enjoy it.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8071 on: July 10, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »
I got to Brno safe and sound, and I'm currently at my friend's house with his family who are some of my favourite people in the world. I was telling them about my hotel adventures over ice cream, when we heard sounds from the corridor and Honza complaining about the neighbours being so noisy all the time - and this is where the things gets pretty bleak so you might not want to keep reading.

Spoiler: show

There was knocking on the door and we opened to see two very young girls, in their nightgowns, crying. We invited them in immediately, wrapped them up in blankets on the couch while we called the police. The youngest girl kept saying "this can't be happening" over and over. I was so so worried something had happened to them, but I think they were (physically) unharmed. Their mother came knocking, too, wearing only a towel. Police came. The man they were living with had not actually _done_ anything so they didn't even have the power to enter his apartment. Mother and the girls were taken somewhere safe. I want them to be safe so badly.

I wanted to say this ended with them being far away, but while I was writing this the woman called on our apartment to open the main door and get into the building, and she went back with her girls and two other guys... I hope they are someone she knows that will help her because any other alternative seems very upsetting right now

I'm going to bed good night

you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8072 on: July 10, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
Haiz: that was bleak indeed. I'm hoping for the best (that the mother and the girls would find another place somewhere far away) and even if not I'm happy that the kids at least have some safe place to go to if they ever have to, again. I think you and your friend's family handled the situation well and no wonder you'd be upset, I hope you all feel better soon.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #8073 on: July 10, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
It is too hot. It's like 34C right now. *dies*

*thinks on bout of 38 C weather last week* *watches estimates of weather conditions change in her head*

Yeah.

34 C is more than liveable.

But I will forever enjoy 15 - 25 C more.

Also, two cents about the gender discussion, LGBT/Queer discussion - I would consider both two separate discussions, as gender discussion does not = people having to be genderqueer. Gender discussion does not = discussion entirely about genderqueerness (though it's definitely a huge subject within it, and I look forward to seeing it discussed). Gender is also separate, though linked, to sexual orientation/preferences, so dumping those two in one discussion doesn't seem logical. (Evolving naturally in the conversation is one thing, starting a thread with two separate topics is another.)

TLDR; My opinion is that LGBT/Queer Issues would be a misleading title choice for the given subject and would have the chance of limiting the conversation rather than broadening it.

Personally, I'd be very interested in a gender discussion thread, if it stays like this place is most of the time - polite and inclusive. Don't think I'd contribute much, but I do think it would help me understand better.

I got to Brno safe and sound, and I'm currently at my friend's house with his family who are some of my favourite people in the world. I was telling them about my hotel adventures over ice cream, when we heard sounds from the corridor and Honza complaining about the neighbours being so noisy all the time - and this is where the things gets pretty bleak so you might not want to keep reading.

Spoiler: show

There was knocking on the door and we opened to see two very young girls, in their nightgowns, crying. We invited them in immediately, wrapped them up in blankets on the couch while we called the police. The youngest girl kept saying "this can't be happening" over and over. I was so so worried something had happened to them, but I think they were (physically) unharmed. Their mother came knocking, too, wearing only a towel. Police came. The man they were living with had not actually _done_ anything so they didn't even have the power to enter his apartment. Mother and the girls were taken somewhere safe. I want them to be safe so badly.

I wanted to say this ended with them being far away, but while I was writing this the woman called on our apartment to open the main door and get into the building, and she went back with her girls and two other guys... I hope they are someone she knows that will help her because any other alternative seems very upsetting right now

I'm going to bed good night

I am glad you are safe and with good people, and eeeeish. I join you in hoping that they're being helped.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Dalahästen

« Reply #8074 on: July 10, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
Congratulations on the pay check, Haiz! :)

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that is super nervous about missing the SSSS book... I mean, I already missed the aRTD book and that's the reason I cry myself to sleep every night.

Do you guys think that the book will be shipped to South America too? I'm really scared that my country will be out of the shipping area (as it happens many times when I think about buying things online).

Fellow south american here, my book arrived just fine and within the time range! :) Also it costs the same as other international shipping. In Brazil specifically there's a law so that books aren't taxed regardless of purchase value, so you are in luck!
:book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:

:artd:

Dalahästen

« Reply #8075 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
This is a late answer, but I have one - it came in a cardboard mailing envelope without padding, and it's printed on something similar to bristol board. So survival rate is probably pretty low.

Oh noooo :( I really wanted one... or lots. Thanks for the answer though. :(
:book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:

:artd:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8076 on: July 10, 2015, 09:01:51 PM »
Oh noooo :( I really wanted one... or lots. Thanks for the answer though. :(

You can always cross your fingers! :)
(and I've never had experience with your country's mail handling, so I don't actually know. The envelope could get beat up, but the print might be fine)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #8077 on: July 10, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
*waves hands around*

the gender thread and the queer thread should be entirely different

those are two really different things and while i'm rather comfy with my sexuality, my gender identity is *confused moose noises*

yeah my two cents i guess

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8078 on: July 10, 2015, 09:46:36 PM »
*waves hands around*

the gender thread and the queer thread should be entirely different

100% agreed
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8079 on: July 10, 2015, 10:41:57 PM »
Haiz, I hope these girls and the woman are alright. This must have been really awful to witness. :/

Fellow south american here, my book arrived just fine and within the time range! :) Also it costs the same as other international shipping. In Brazil specifically there's a law so that books aren't taxed regardless of purchase value, so you are in luck!

Oooh, I forgot about that law!! (and I studied Law, can you see how great student I am)

Also, fellow south american! :D
Just the other day Antillanka (who is chilean) and I were wondering if there were more of us around the forum.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #8080 on: July 11, 2015, 12:44:25 AM »
Thank you all for the positive feed back, I'm in agreement that the LGBTQ+ community needs a place too, and I'm all for that, but I myself am not quite comfortable with leading that discussion. If someone else feels comfortable doing so can lead that one. I'm going to start work on the Gender thread now.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8081 on: July 11, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »
Last night I tried some Texan poutine. I had no idea they did poutine in Texas, it was really good :)

Also everything here is huge. The cars and the food and we even saw giant wind chimes that had a sign on them that said "Texas sized wind chimes"
Also there are Texan flags everywhere. I'm used to seeing american flags everywhere in the states, but when I lived in new jersey I don't think I saw the state flag anywhere. I don't even know what it looks like.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8082 on: July 11, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
Update: we saw the woman with her girls this morning, they seemed to be okay, although it's impossible for me tell anything about their situation - and it's not my place anyway. it's obviously a complex situation and there's not much I can do aside from hoping they will be safe from now on. My friend and his family are at least aware of Something going on now.

Apart from that, everything else is good! we went on a walk in a FOREST. I haven't been in a forest in ages and walking in forests with friends is just the best. We're gonna go see mad max tonight, too! And tbh I'm just really happy to be here because this is one of the places that does feel like home to me. Even if I have to sleep on a makeshift mattress made of couch pillows.
you'll know where to find me.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #8083 on: July 11, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
Welcome back! :D
I remember when my choir went to Italy it was in January so I had to come back and go to school the next day. That was crazy. A bunch of choir kids were passed out by european history class and we only had that 2nd period of the day. :P

What songs did you sing? What kinds of things did you see?

I got distracted and forgot to answer this, so I was really excited when just a moment ago we put on a concert showcasing all the songs we took to Italy with us. I was ready to finally answer your question as soon as it was over. Then I woke up.
...Remind me again why I have an alarm set for 4:30 in the morning?
So since aparently it's my birthday (wow, I've forgotten for the third time in a row? Is it bad that the forum reminded me while I was trying to find Featherviola's post so I could quote it?) I see no reason not to go back to bed. (Just kidding. I'd go back to bed anyway since it's now five in the morning and I'm really tired (you can tell the latter from all the asides I'm writing and from how confused I probably sound).)
When it is a reasonable time in the morning I will answer your question and put my dream in the weird dream thread - it's definately deserving.

videovance

« Reply #8084 on: July 11, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
I got distracted and forgot to answer this, so I was really excited when just a moment ago we put on a concert showcasing all the songs we took to Italy with us. I was ready to finally answer your question as soon as it was over. Then I woke up.
...Remind me again why I have an alarm set for 4:30 in the morning?
So since aparently it's my birthday (wow, I've forgotten for the third time in a row? Is it bad that the forum reminded me while I was trying to find Featherviola's post so I could quote it?) I see no reason not to go back to bed. (Just kidding. I'd go back to bed anyway since it's now five in the morning and I'm really tired (you can tell the latter from all the asides I'm writing and from how confused I probably sound).)
When it is a reasonable time in the morning I will answer your question and put my dream in the weird dream thread - it's definately deserving.
Whoa, it's your birthday today?? Happy birthday! I hope you have a great day- but please make sure you get enough sleep!!