Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409631 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
Is storytime over, or can I tell mine? Oh, well. I'll just tell it anyway.

[enthusiastic rant]
I've been reading webcomics for years. Before that it was manga on the net, but that's not important. And I found that one of the best ways to find new things was to go through that list all webcomics have of other webcomics they like, and that's how I found aRTD. I think it was halfway through the moose chapter by then. And it just, it hit me. It was perfect. It was litterally everything I didn't know I wanted. The mood and the pacing and the humor and the art and everything, it was just awesome. I loved it. It is actually impossible to express my love for that comic only through text. And then I started reading the comments as well and realized that this was one of the few places on the internet where people were just generally nice and pleasant, you know? I don't remember exactly, but I think this was thing I left a comment on at all and it's been great.
I like SSSS as much as I liked aRTD because even though they're very different types of story, they have the same kind of mood. That kind of writing that makes you happy just reading it (and I'm a sucker for good art). Basically, I love this, I love you and you really mean a lot more to me than a group of people I've never met probably should.
[/enthusiastic rant]

I almost wrote "writhing" instead of "writing". That is not the same thing.

I'd say he has certain sociopathic tendencies, but no, not a psychopath.

Can I just copy this entire post and pretend I wrote it? It's perfect.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #601 on: October 19, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
I've never read webcomics before I started with SSSS, and what brought me to it was page 66 - someone posted the map in another forum I'm active in. I love maps, I love interesting world building, and this page had lots of both. So I started to read SSSS and managed to follow since then. Although I still find it hard to wait for new pages, I'm "hooked" now. It's really different to wait for a new page every day instead of waiting for a new book in a series for a year (and then be able to devour it in a day), but I guess that just makes the addiction stronger because you constantly think about what will happen next.  ;)
In the first chapter break, I read aRTD and also liked it very much (although I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending, for similar reasons as kex described).

Since there has been a lot of meta-talk going on, here's my two cents about the forum up to now: I think we've got a rare atmosphere of inspiration, fun and friendlyness, and I've laughed a lot about some stories. It's the first international forum for me and I still feel a bit restrained having to write in English, but it gets better and it is really nice to "talk" to people from the other end of the world. ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #602 on: October 19, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
That's very interesting! So essentially they really really do make sure you're trained in the aspects you want to go into.

So you are on your studies now? What are you focussing on or don't you have to do that? In Germany most psychologist have to put a main topic latest at their master studies.

Apparently most teachers on training are grumbling about the studies but with two years out of univerity now I think we didn't have it too bad. The best is the 1 1/2 year of practical training.

It's good to know, because here in Malaysia we sometimes have school counselors (who I'd think would need a bit more of a psych background than teachers, even) that aren't even properly trained in how to handle special needs or psychological issues. (Often, being sent to the counselor is given as a punishment for students who've acted out, which is just such a horrifying misuse). I'm not sure how much training special needs teachers would need here, I should ask my mom who's a schoolteacher, actually.
O could you please ask your mom? I'm really in how educational systems work around the world. In Germany we have nearly as many systems as we've got federal states. Everyone being a more or less bigger variety of the others. At my school the social worker gives additional council to all our efforts, but it's an offer.

FenShen I understand you. It's 8 years I'm out of school and though I've been to Ireland a lot my englisch got worse every year away from school. I nearly understand everything but producing the correct sentences is a huge effort for me. I really like it here.

Edit: Gosh I'm really getting excited by now. It seems that everything will turn out fine, but if it was as easy as it seems... All stuss is packed up safely, breakfast is prepared, fruits for rescuing my day as well. Now it only needs to stop raining, I don't have a car and hate it arrivind dripping wet at school.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:21:13 PM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #603 on: October 19, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
They wouldn't teach us bondage at university ;)
Try some Advanced Statistics (or its basics, Maß- und Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie), then. Having the doors locked as the lecture starts just doesn't cut it. (Well, at my U, the lecture halls had windows.) :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #604 on: October 19, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »
Heard this story on the radio news.
And it made me very sad.  :'(

(Don't click/read if animal cruelty upsets you! Well actually it upsets everyone, but y'know)
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/19/tasmanian-devil-killed-at-us-zoo-had-skull-crushed-by-asphalt-block

Aggggggggghhhhh.

Anyone have any good/happy/positive news?
I have a French exam this morning- speaking and conversation, and I don't really have very high hopes of passing this semester :( It's my last unit to complete my minor, but I think I'll have to repeat it next yearrrrrrrrr ;_______;
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #605 on: October 19, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »

Gosh I'm really getting excited by now. It seems that everything will turn out fine, but if it was as easy as it seems... All stuss is packed up safely, breakfast is prepared, fruits for rescuing my day as well. Now it only needs to stop raining, I don't have a car and hate it arriving dripping wet at school.

Glück auf!  Glück auf! (Or does anyone actually say that outside of Wagner operas?  Those are my only ongoing exposure to German, and I imagine they're not a 100% reliable guide...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #606 on: October 19, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
Edit: Gosh I'm really getting excited by now. It seems that everything will turn out fine, but if it was as easy as it seems... All stuss is packed up safely, breakfast is prepared, fruits for rescuing my day as well. Now it only needs to stop raining, I don't have a car and hate it arrivind dripping wet at school.

Well, also wishing you (at least, what Google translate has told me) the same as Sunflower!

So...anybody here thinking about Nanowrimo? I'm not so much a writer, but I'd really like to try to get a completed story of some type done. 50,000 words is kind of scary, though.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
So...anybody here thinking about Nanowrimo? I'm not so much a writer, but I'd really like to try to get a completed story of some type done. 50,000 words is kind of scary, though.

I would love to do something like that, as I love writing and am one of those people who never finish writing things because I get distracted. I've actually tried NaNoWriMo, but got sidetracked - probably because I started halfway through July. Maybe it would help if I actually did it during November?

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
Can I just copy this entire post and pretend I wrote it? It's perfect.

Nooooooo, at least give me credit~
I'm actually, honestly proud of my speech-writing skills. Don't steal them.

Interesting, but scary. We'll see.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #609 on: October 19, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
Just finished my French exam:
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=173
Not sayin' the teacher is a giant troll or anything, she's just really scaryyyy.

Aggghhh but at least I'm going to pass! Whoo! O____O

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #610 on: October 19, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
Not sayin' the teacher is a giant troll or anything, she's just really scaryyyy.

Félicitations!  Maintenant tu pourras te détendre. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=173

Congrats!  Much better than I ever did.  I only passed my French class, but I didn't ever have to do any conversations, or even pretend like I knew anything... or take the tests... or attend class...  It was an easy class. (Exaggeration, but still, way too easy to actually learn anything)
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
Félicitations!  Maintenant tu pourras te détendre. 

I'm going to apologise in advance for the terrible French you're about to try and read. I'm so sorry :P

Pas encore, malheureusement, parce que je dois finir des autres devoirs aujourd'hui pour mon diplôme des beaux-arts ;__; je vais mouriiiiiiiiir. Je vais devoir marcher si loiiiiin pour le finir. (J'ai oublié le verbe «to print» aaaaaaah)

Aussi malheureusement, l'examen oral ne sera pas mon dernier examen pour le français. U___U
Il y'a un examen qui je dois écrire en novembre, après un examen pour mon diplôme de littérature D'X et la semaine prochaine il y'a un autre devoir aussi.....

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
Nooooooo, at least give me credit~

Sure!
I hereby give ThisCat all the credit for that paragraph.

Seriously though, the entire post is what I would have written, but better worded. Thank you for being good at that. (Would borrowing be better?)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »
So you are on your studies now? What are you focussing on or don't you have to do that? In Germany most psychologist have to put a main topic latest at their master studies.

Apparently most teachers on training are grumbling about the studies but with two years out of univerity now I think we didn't have it too bad. The best is the 1 1/2 year of practical training.
O could you please ask your mom? I'm really in how educational systems work around the world. In Germany we have nearly as many systems as we've got federal states. Everyone being a more or less bigger variety of the others. At my school the social worker gives additional council to all our efforts, but it's an offer.
I've finished my studies, and I did my masters in "psychological methods", which means "I didn't choose an actual focus". My interests were in social psychology though, and since I didn't intend to stay in academia, it didn't really matter. Now I'm working in market research and liking it.

I'll try to remember to ask my mom. Stuff like how many years of training she got, how many years of training is required now, whether teachers of special needs students need special qualifications, yes?

Good luck, and I hope it doesn't rain!