Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387566 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7785 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »
Fun fact: We didn't cover any old norse sagas in any of the schools I went to in Canada or the US. It's really quite sad actually how much of it gets ignored. I know they teach some stuff in some parts of Manitoba, but sadly I did not grow up there. It's kinda strange since we covered Greek mythology and I feel like the Norse stuff would be more relevant to North America with Vineland and all, but for some reason it's just left out. Everything I know about it I learned outside of school.
We had this discussion in the chat one night. The idea of schools teaching mythology somewhere else is... well, something impossible to imagine here. Maybe because France doesn't have such roots and is too old in christianity... but I find it a little sad. We can learn by ourselves, and Greek mythology is very documented. Thank, History of Arts ? ::) The others, on the others side... :-\
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

daiseerose

« Reply #7786 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:30 PM »
I looked into Norse mythology, as a side project, and I noticed how little they have compared to Greek mythology. I think that the school system needs to expand their horizons in mythology

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #7787 on: July 01, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »
And this is why I'm very glad for the mythology class I had in High School, and especially for the teacher I had. We spent more time on Norse mythology than on Greek/Roman (yes, he combined them, as he considered them boring/too similar to spend time differentiating/already beaten to death). I loved that guy - the last third of the trimester was spent creating our own mythologies.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #7788 on: July 01, 2015, 10:16:32 PM »
So I've been stumbling around google maps, and I am absolutely furious that I can get a street view for the tiniest island in Finland, but every smaller German town I try street-viewing for a story I'm working on is coming up blank and not compatible. D: HOW am I supposed to be researching my own home country from overseas with this-ARGH! *all the things must be accurate, graaah!*
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7789 on: July 01, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »
Yes, hello, this is me informing you that Pixar's "Inside Out" is a really good movie and I cried like a baby in the middle of the theater and all'y'all should go watch it as soon as you get the chance.
And also that I am Sadness, but with less empathy.
Spoiler: show

She is so freakin' cute and also I want a turtleneck like that.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7790 on: July 01, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »
Yes, hello, this is me informing you that Pixar's "Inside Out" is a really good movie and I cried like a baby in the middle of the theater and all'y'all should go watch it as soon as you get the chance.

!!!!!

I was already dying to see this movie, now I'm dying even more.

And the drawing is adorable.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7791 on: July 01, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »

And drumroll!

I made a CD of music I like, with no real decidable genre.

And yes, my rhyming kick did kick in. (This is like 3 puns at once. I have too much power)

EDIT:
ok dang it all to hell but my radio is about twelve years old so here is why i am asking
Did something happen to CD disk size between 2004 and 2015
because honestly
it might be too thin to work
And i am going to break something
(possibly the twelve year old radio)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:55:27 PM by KicknRun »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7792 on: July 02, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »

Eeeeeeee I want to see this so bad! Pixar is my childhood. I grew up on Toy Story and A Bug's Life.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #7793 on: July 02, 2015, 05:01:38 AM »
I saw it with my housemates and one of their colleagues. Which tears ? Here ? Nooooooo...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7794 on: July 02, 2015, 05:57:06 AM »
jddsbhds these past few days I've """helped out""" at the Public section of housekeeping, namely the reception and congress floors. I feel much more at a loss at what to do and it has left me feeling very drained afterwards, so doing anything after work this week has been really hard.
On the congress floor, there seems to be some kind of event for a Society of Experimental Biology - they have presentations and plaques and stands and there are people from all over the world. It's kind of cool but also really overwhelming and I'm trying not to be in the way. I also think this is the first time I've heard someone speak with a "valley girl" accent in real life? like, genuinely and not just parodying it?? you don't understand how weird that is to me, I thought it was a TV show exaggeration I had no idea people actually speak like that

oh and I'll be at the reception next week?? I have no idea what will happen just yet but whoo change of scenery
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:58:39 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #7795 on: July 02, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »

I watched some bad-bad quality cam version on the net 'cause I couldn't wait... now I regret doing that, this movie deserves to be watched in the cinema. At least it had the benefit that I could cry alone in front my computer and not in the middle of the movie theatre filled with 10-year-olds... DEM CHILDHOOD FEELS argh. They will show it from tomorrow here and I'm seriously considering to go and watch it again there.

I don't think I have a main emotion anymore? I'm almost sure Joy was the boss before but now my head's HQ is probably more like the adults' in the movie, all of them cooperating behind one larger control panel.

(I also had this weird thought that Haiz kinda looks like Joy)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7796 on: July 02, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »
Inside Out only releases in August over here! Very disappointing. D:
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7797 on: July 02, 2015, 07:35:42 AM »
Speaking of emotions, today I went to the Hiroshima peace museum. They had a lot of stuff about the A-bomb that was dropped and I don't really have words to describe what going through the exhibit was like. There were people there from all over the world, but no one spoke. Not even the younger children. Not a single word until after you finished, and then people started to talk again. There were no signs saying not to talk, it's just what happened. There were also signs saying photos were ok, but I only took one because for some reason, it felt almost like taking photos was not appropriate and like photos wouldn't cover it. They had some stuff in there that was really really hard to look at. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of suffering, I don't care what you've done.

It was a very good experience in that I think it really shows how important it is that we continue to make the world a more peaceful place. Afterwards they had these books where you could write your reaction and almost everyone wrote about how much they wanted world peace. It reminded me of all the good that humanity can still have and how differences can be made. We can all get along, and on a small scale this forum is an example of that. Keep up the good work guys, and sorry for the slightly heavy post, I wanted to share what I experienced today.

Here is a picture of the sunset over Hiroshima to lighten things up a bit:

On a completely unrelated note, Haiz, all your stories of what goes on behind the scenes at a hotel have really made me appreciate the staff and everything they do for us as guests when we stay at a hotel. So thank you to all people who work as hotel staff, I am grateful for what you do.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7798 on: July 02, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »
It was a nice post to read, and something that deserves to be said, there's no need to apologise.

Also speaking of Haiz, up until someone mentioned that they had come up with a rhyming nickname for hir (Haiz the Maze, I think?) I had thought that hir name was pronounced H-aye-z, heh. I have this habit of returning to Malay pronunciation tricks when I see a word I don't know how to pronounce, sorry. P:
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7799 on: July 02, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »
It was a nice post to read, and something that deserves to be said, there's no need to apologise.

Also speaking of Haiz, up until someone mentioned that they had come up with a rhyming nickname for hir (Haiz the Maze, I think?) I had thought that hir name was pronounced H-aye-z, heh. I have this habit of returning to Malay pronunciation tricks when I see a word I don't know how to pronounce, sorry. P:

Heh, I was the one who made the nickname, but Haiz said there was no right way to pronounce it, so you're ok.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney