Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387808 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7710 on: June 30, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »
:O Icelandic Adventure With Laufey yessss
someone buy me plane tickets plz

Oooh! Is this a thing? Where do I sign up?

Solo you can come in my giant suitcase. I'll make sure to leave lots of space :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7711 on: June 30, 2015, 01:53:11 AM »
is the fish discussion over or can I barge into it again now that I'm awake and present
I mean since I live in Norway, eating fish isn't exactly optional, not while I still live with my parents - and I'll probably even force myself to eat fish in a while once I'm on my own, too. maybe. Don't like it for pretty much the same reason as Emil, don't like the smell, don't like the texture and how it falls apart, don't like the bones... I'll willingly eat salmon and halibut though (WOW AREN'T U SPOILED, HAIZ).

my problem is that I celebrate every christmas in czech republic, and you know what's the traditional christmas food over here? CARP. Out of all places in the world... czech, tiny country cut of from all the seas, has to have fish as the traditional christmas food. eugh

speaking of fish things and christmas
this recent-est christmas,,  my grandpa was making horrible jokes about every gift, like, every time someone was opening one he would go all "oh yes! this gift is from me! I bet it's lots of ham and wine and cheese" and so on... I'm sure it the spiel was entertaining ten years ago but not anymore. So he kept whining about how few of the gifts were for him, and how he would have to share food with grandma, etc.
So i handed him the next gift, which had only his name on it. It was very clearly flask-shaped.
"This one is just for you," I sad.
"Oh! Yes! FInally something for ME! MY gift! I won't share this with ANYONE! I will drink it ALL BY MYSELF!" he was repeating all this for maybe five minutes he kept unwrapping. idk how he could keep unwrapping for so long.

it was a bottle of norwegian fish oil.
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #7712 on: June 30, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »

Oh that is cruel, I love it  :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7713 on: June 30, 2015, 03:55:50 AM »

That's like lýsi right? My friend brought me some of that as a joke gift last summer.

Also for those of you who are curious, this is where I am right now. We were actually hiking in the area earlier today before they closed it. This explains all the earthquakes we've been having all day.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/south-asia/Mount-Hakone-erupts-in-Japan/articleshow/47875261.cms?

Edit: I found a better more updated article
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:58:22 AM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #7714 on: June 30, 2015, 04:12:57 AM »
Lubricate yourself in fish oil and embrace your legacy! Become a fish!

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7715 on: June 30, 2015, 04:40:26 AM »

my problem is that I celebrate every christmas in czech republic, and you know what's the traditional christmas food over here? CARP. Out of all places in the world... czech, tiny country cut of from all the seas, has to have fish as the traditional christmas food. eugh

You don't need seas and oceans to have fish  :P
Carp is a Christmas dish* in Hungary too (no sea, but plenty of rivers and lakes). But I can totally relate to not liking your stereotypical national food...

*It comes from the catholic tradition that fish doesn't count as meet and can be eaten during abstinence - and Christmas eve is still belongs to the Advent period and a day of abstinence
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7716 on: June 30, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »
You don't need seas and oceans to have fish  :P
Carp is a Christmas dish* in Hungary too (no sea, but plenty of rivers and lakes). But I can totally relate to not liking your stereotypical national food...
I'd say our stereotypical national food is nasi lemak (fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf)? Or maybe lots of curry and hawker food. Either way, it's fantastic and I have not experienced that feeling of hatred, but carp actually tastes pretty good? I don't know, maybe it's just me and fish, haha.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #7717 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:25 AM »
I'd say our stereotypical national food is nasi lemak (fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf)? Or maybe lots of curry and hawker food. Either way, it's fantastic and I have not experienced that feeling of hatred, but carp actually tastes pretty good? I don't know, maybe it's just me and fish, haha.

I'd say it's more like you eat a food enough to tread the fine line between the favourite food, and the worst food in the world. I think you only get this if you constantly eat a foodstuff, but not everyday. For example, I don't particularly like rice all that much (*gasp* a Filipino that doesn't like rice (Filipinos really love their rice)). I'll only eat it if the digusting taste is disguised, though I will still avoid it if I can. I'll say that my reason for this is that we constantly have rice, but that in the house, it's not the only thing we eat, so I got tired of rice and started hating it.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7718 on: June 30, 2015, 06:16:42 AM »
I'd say it's more like you eat a food enough to tread the fine line between the favourite food, and the worst food in the world. I think you only get this if you constantly eat a foodstuff, but not everyday. For example, I don't particularly like rice all that much (*gasp* a Filipino that doesn't like rice (Filipinos really love their rice)). I'll only eat it if the digusting taste is disguised, though I will still avoid it if I can. I'll say that my reason for this is that we constantly have rice, but that in the house, it's not the only thing we eat, so I got tired of rice and started hating it.
Oh, that actually makes sense! I eat rice every day for dinner, so I'm very used to it. Also, hello fellow South East Asian! How goes the earthquakes? I have a friend in Filipino that I always seem to have to be constantly concerned about.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #7719 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
Hey
Somebody knows how to survive one week with little kids under 8 years old? With 20 of them.
Yeah, it's the campsite I am. This week I'm with little kids. Hopefully, next week I'll be with persons of my age. OH WELL.
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7720 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »
Hey
Somebody knows how to survive one week with little kids under 8 years old? With 20 of them.
Yeah, it's the campsite I am. This week I'm with little kids. Hopefully, next week I'll be with persons of my age. OH WELL.

Do you have to take care of all of them? Are you the only older person with them?
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7721 on: June 30, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
Do you have to take care of all of them? Are you the only older person with them?

In the kids, yes I am. The only older person there.
And no, I don't take care of all, there are two monitors that take care of them. But if these two aren't in the campsite, I have to take care of all (I'm the 1st assistant of them hahah)
     - Adam Young

prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7722 on: June 30, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »
In the kids, yes I am. The only older person there.
And no, I don't take care of all, there are two monitors that take care of them. But if these two aren't in the campsite, I have to take care of all (I'm the 1st assistant of them hahah)

Well, whenever you have to take care of them, play it cool. Pretend that you are their cool aunt, if you're a little nervous, try to hide it (they can smell fear). No, but seriously, I've taken care of little kids before, and if you treat them nice, they will be nice to you too (most of them). Just don't let them think that they can do whatever they want, be firm when needed.

I don't know if I helped? But I sure hope you survive out there.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7723 on: June 30, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Well, whenever you have to take care of them, play it cool. Pretend that you are their cool aunt, if you're a little nervous, try to hide it (they can smell fear). No, but seriously, I've taken care of little kids before, and if you treat them nice, they will be nice to you too (most of them). Just don't let them think that they can do whatever they want, be firm when needed.

I don't know if I helped? But I sure hope you survive out there.

I'll do it! I'm shy, yeah, but I'll try ^^
Also, I think only the girls are nice. The others are so irresponsible ::)

hahah yeah! you helped :) And if I survived 2 days, I can other 3
     - Adam Young

prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7724 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
Does anyone else see little german flags next to people's usernames instead of the green online icon? Because I see little german flags now and I have no idea why.