Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409393 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7515 on: June 25, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »
From what i can remember from my own reading I associated Ravenclaw with the geeks and perfectionists, Slytherin with jerks and thugs and Hufflepuff with dorks.

Can't argue this. What would the Gryffindors be though?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7516 on: June 25, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »
I dunno, it seems like they're actually plain evil considering that the founder built a room dedicated to the purpose of randomly killing a student every once in a while just to keep everyone on their toes.

From what i can remember from my own reading I associated Ravenclaw with the geeks and perfectionists, Slytherin with jerks and thugs and Hufflepuff with dorks.
well, the founder isn't the students. there's some super long rant I haven't really bothered reading through going around tumblr that talks about how Salazar Slytherin wasn't actually evil because uhhh christianity killing witches and self-preservation something something? I can't really be bothered to look too deep into it because I'm not all that into HP anymore

gryffindors are the jocks
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7517 on: June 25, 2015, 06:03:55 PM »
well, the founder isn't the students. there's some super long rant I haven't really bothered reading through going around tumblr that talks about how Salazar Slytherin wasn't actually evil because uhhh christianity killing witches and self-preservation something something? I can't really be bothered to look too deep into it because I'm not all that into HP anymore

I read that rant, and well... it's a typical tumblr rant. Interesting ideas, sure, but not entirely following canon - we already know that the wizarding world could defend themselves against the muggle world, so a whole basilisk sounds a bit overkill (especially since it's hidden in the castle itself, the writer was speaking of using it as Hogwarts' defense monster).

Jocks sounds about right as well.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7518 on: June 25, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
Self-preservation is often a good thing but when it involves actually killing people it gets sorta borderline.

What would the Gryffindors be though?

I honestly don't know, they just seem like cliché protagonists to me. A bit like the rebels in Star Wars.

Hermione and whatshisface (Nigel?) is not very jock-like in any sense.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7519 on: June 25, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
I read that rant, and well... it's a typical tumblr rant. Interesting ideas, sure, but not entirely following canon - we already know that the wizarding world could defend themselves against the muggle world, so a whole basilisk sounds a bit overkill (especially since it's hidden in the castle itself, the writer was speaking of using it as Hogwarts' defense monster).
Iiii just don't think the books are nearly as nuanced as the fandom is making them out to be tbh... I mean from a straightforward reading, slytherin is most definitely painted as 'the evil house' and all they have to prove them otherwise in canon is slughorn and regulus black + the redemption of the malfoys

edit: i'm not trying to defend salazar slytherin for killing students, btw. i haven't even read the tumblr post in question because it's a mile long.

Hermione and whatshisface (Nigel?) is not very jock-like in any sense.
well, no, but if we're talking stereotypes... Luna Lovegood doesn't look like a perfectionist either, and cedric diggory was not a very conventional dork if he was one
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:14:22 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7520 on: June 25, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
I've also taken the pottermore test and I got ravenclaw. I'm pretty happy with that.

My old school in canada had houses. We got sorted (but not with a hat) and then we could lose and earn points towards a house cup at the end of the year. My house never won while I was there (but I was only there for two years).
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #7521 on: June 25, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »
To experience the ultimate crash (for whatever reason) keep yourself awake for three days using the magical combination of amphetamines, cigarettes and energy drinks.  By the end you shall reach the ultimate state of apathy where nothing but rest matters, but at least your work is done.

Good advice! I shall do that! Seem some good offers for amphetamines on Agora :D should settle me for the upcoming year in uni! Tho I can keep awake without needing them. . . or food. Ah I am looking forward to September

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7522 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »
 hey look see what i replaced "I'm not being productive" with
now 100% more accurate

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7523 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
Ehehe I got Slytherin. Is that a surprise? I got Slytherin on all the tests I took actually, but on this super long and really involved unofficial one, Ravenclaw was only second by a 10 points or so.
YEET

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7524 on: June 25, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
Ehehe I got Slytherin. Is that a surprise? I got Slytherin on all the tests I took actually, but on this super long and really involved unofficial one, Ravenclaw was only second by a 10 points or so.

*high five for Slytherin!*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #7525 on: June 25, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
WOW OKAY my internet was down for almost six hours. That sucked. It forced me to draw stuff, bleghhh. [/first world problems]

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #7526 on: June 25, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
Chrome was out for me since noon, and still is.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #7527 on: June 25, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
No Internet is really annoying. But at least you're back! And I'm definitely not posting more in order to push this thread to 500 pages...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #7528 on: June 25, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
It's actually interesting reading about what other people see of Slytherin--there's actually a great explanation of exactly what Slytherin is all about in the welcoming speech given to new Slytherins on Pottermore--you guys should look it up. :)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7529 on: June 25, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
It's actually interesting reading about what other people see of Slytherin--there's actually a great explanation of exactly what Slytherin is all about in the welcoming speech given to new Slytherins on Pottermore--you guys should look it up. :)

Oh really?? I haven't read that. Time to try and find my pottermore login :P
YEET