Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387776 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7470 on: June 25, 2015, 07:34:28 AM »
I want to see a picture of the dress when it's finished! It sounds really interesting.
Yes! I second that! It sounds really cool!

(Probably not for the same reasons, but I relate:)
I may identify as female, but that doesn't mean I have to follow the steriotypical dress.
I'm the same, I can't stand wearing a dress or skirt (school uniform was different, because I could wear stockings) or even makeup because....ugh.. I don't even know, it just feels horrible. I feel like a pig someone's dressed up and paraded through town for laughs or something. "Look! It's just like a real little human! Ohohoho! Isn't it just darling!" or *snobby popular girl voice* "You've finally joined us. But not really, you can never join haha."
Like, I will actually cry/break down/hulk out before the event is over let me tell you <_< I wish I could wear them and feel/look great...but I just can't? It feels like I'm not myself, and I don't like that feeling. My little sisters are makeup and dress obsessed though, they have 5 different mascaras and eyebrow kits and a mineral water face mist spray? They each take about 30-40 minutes each morning to do themselves up for school/dentist job, which even includes hair curling and perfume. Meanwhile, I'm just casually washing my face with water like a peasant X'D And no one in my family or friend group even bats an eyelid about me not wearing any makeup etc, I went to both my leaver's dinners (..proms..??) like that, in a cute-rather-than-sexy-or-mature (XD) dress. I put on nail polish though :3 In comparison my sisters like to buy a new dress for each party because the thought of people seeing them in the same dress twice horrifies them for some reason.

Argh this turned into a rant O___O
Incidentally, I once tried writing a thing about this sort of topic in the Comfort thread.. Like, about boys and expectations and girliness and such. Because I don't knoooow, it niggles at me. But it was nearly a thousand word essay and when I posted it, and I looked at it and was like: "This is stupid. I'm stupid. Why." and deleted it hahahaha

Quote from: Sunflower
A cheerful, "I'm just not interested in that stuff" or "I'm more focused on my education right now," followed up if necessary with a firm, "Well, everyone's different" and changing the subject, is all you owe people if you don't want to delve into details.  (I don't know if it'll cut any ice with your obnoxious dad.  But sometimes repetition helps -- the drops-of-water-eventually-fill-a-lake thing.)
Yup, "Egh, I'm just not interested. *shrug*" and "Well, school." are my go-to responses for nearly everything. XD And you're right, I don't even get asked weird questions about dates and boys and stuff any more. Although maybe I've cut too much ice with my dad, who now refers to my ~"future partner"~ as "He, or She" and I'm just like "Wow dad, that's a really big step for you, I'm impressed...but that's not actually the case. I'm just trying to graduate first. Plus, I thought I wasn't allowed to date, hey? Hey?"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:49:00 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7471 on: June 25, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
Yes! I second that! It sounds really cool!
I will, once I have it!

And yeah, I relate to a lot of your experiences, too actually? Sure, I wear dresses and skirts - I'm pretty picky about what dresses and skirts I wear, though, I like fwooshy and flowy ones that give a bit of a woodnymph feel, or really colourful stripey or dotted things. but never elegant tight-shapey ones, it's either woodnymph or manic pixie dream girl. And I'm not even a girl. When it comes to makeup, I can't wear it at all. can't do it. nope. literally the only piece of makeup I own at all is a green, glittery lipstick. I'll curl my hair, though. I'll do that. It gets poofy!! and with short hair it's not too much effort

But yeah people expect girls to put so much effort into how they look and dress because apparently a lot depends on how they look? It's a little sickening, really. I'm all for people dressing the way they like and doing whatever they want with their face, but I want people to do it because they want to, not because they've been shaped to do so through society lowkey pressuring them into doing it.
you'll know where to find me.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7472 on: June 25, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »
I'm the same, I can't stand wearing a dress or skirt (school uniform was different, because I could wear stockings) or even makeup because....ugh.. I don't even know, it just feels horrible.

Yeah, I totally understand! I feel the same way about all that stuff. Dresses and skirts are fine on other people (actually I really like how they look), but put one on me? *shudder* I get an excuse a pass with makeup because my skin is really sensitive and can't handle things being put on it. But sometimes I'm forced to wear all that stuff and I spend the entire time being super uncomfortable and self-conscious. On the other hand, I have a friend who I'm pretty sure doesn't own pants, and who always wears makeup. She feels uncomfortable in the kind of stuff I wear. I don't know, I'm of the opinion that you can show you care about your hygiene and appearance without dressing in ways that make you too uncomfortable.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #7473 on: June 25, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »
We go to the airport in a few hours. This is going to be interesting as I could hardly sleep last night and get to break the laws of the universe today (my math says it will be a 32 hour day, but I think I added something wrong, because I've also gotten 23 and 26. Hmmm.)

And oh no, I just realized I'll have so many thread pages to read through when I get back. At least that'll be good for those excruciatingly hot summer days. Seriously. It's supposed to get up to 93F here by the end of June. It's going to set all sorts of records and probably officially put the state into drought-mode if it's not already. It looks like I might actually be beating the heat by going to Italy.

Don't worry the crash isn't that bad.  You just have cold sweats, a rapid heartbeat and the feeling that every single bit of your skin is being pricked by tiny needles.  It is fun :D

...how is that fun. I really don't understand. How does one ingest the nessesary amount of sugar in the first place?

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #7474 on: June 25, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
...how is that fun. I really don't understand. How does one ingest the nessesary amount of sugar in the first place?

Two words: Pixy Stix. Essentially pure sugar with a bit of artificial flavoring. They come in giant sizes, too.
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #7475 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
I will, once I have it!

And yeah, I relate to a lot of your experiences, too actually? Sure, I wear dresses and skirts - I'm pretty picky about what dresses and skirts I wear, though, I like fwooshy and flowy ones that give a bit of a woodnymph feel, or really colourful stripey or dotted things. but never elegant tight-shapey ones, it's either woodnymph or manic pixie dream girl. And I'm not even a girl. When it comes to makeup, I can't wear it at all. can't do it. nope. literally the only piece of makeup I own at all is a green, glittery lipstick. I'll curl my hair, though. I'll do that. It gets poofy!! and with short hair it's not too much effort

But yeah people expect girls to put so much effort into how they look and dress because apparently a lot depends on how they look? It's a little sickening, really. I'm all for people dressing the way they like and doing whatever they want with their face, but I want people to do it because they want to, not because they've been shaped to do so through society lowkey pressuring them into doing it.
Yeah, plus, when it comes to "how much does the societal 'pressure' even matter?" the proof is in the pudding: it doesn't matter at all. Like, if I can go to a fancy Thai Embassy Thing Dinner in my university clothes and no makeup and casually/weirdly talk to government people about sheep and they don't even care, I can't see why it's made out to be such a big deal. When I go to friend's birthday parties and it's full of guys and drinking and *cough* things I can never tell my mother *cough* (which i do not ever get involved in, eek) and I'm just myself, no one cares, we can discuss Tintin by the snack table. The media present the whole situation like a 24 hour infomercial, getting people to believe there's a problem so someone can sell you the solution they want <_< those infomercials are creepy...maybe I should go to sleep.. *stumbles off into the night shouting about aliens*

Yeah, I totally understand! I feel the same way about all that stuff. Dresses and skirts are fine on other people (actually I really like how they look), but put one on me? *shudder* I get an excuse a pass with makeup because my skin is really sensitive and can't handle things being put on it. But sometimes I'm forced to wear all that stuff and I spend the entire time being super uncomfortable and self-conscious. On the other hand, I have a friend who I'm pretty sure doesn't own pants, and who always wears makeup. She feels uncomfortable in the kind of stuff I wear. I don't know, I'm of the opinion that you can show you care about your hygiene and appearance without dressing in ways that make you too uncomfortable.
I have sensitive skin too! *high five! (but not too hard ;P)* And i also really like dresses...just that they don't work on me ;-; I probably only like them in the same way I like furniture though...."omg that DESK LOOK AT IT...i have no room or money ;-;" or "WHAT A CUTE PILLOW-- wait i don't even own my own couch yet.." haha i don't know.. they're... unobtainable

Maybe i really should go to sleep already
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:21:44 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #7476 on: June 25, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
I have sensitive skin too! *high five! (but not too hard ;P)* And i also really like dresses...just that they don't work on me ;-; I probably only like them in the same way I like furniture though...."omg that DESK LOOK AT IT...i have no room or money ;-;" or "WHAT A CUTE PILLOW-- wait i don't even own my own couch yet.." haha i don't know.. they're... unobtainable

Maybe i really should go to sleep already
*returns high five* Yeah, my skin is very sensitive. Most sunscreen gives me a rash. Almost anything that you're supposed to put on your face will make me break out. Anti-acne soap makes me break out (I'm just grateful that I normally have pretty clear skin). So nothing on Ana's face. Ever.

...You sound tired. Off to bed with you! The forum will still be here in the morning!

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7477 on: June 25, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »
I did the pottermore thing
and then I got gryffindor
how
hOW
i'm not even that brave hOW
i wanted the snake house

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #7478 on: June 25, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »

1:  It is not fun, I was being sarcastic.  On the plus side the crash is prevented from being utterly hellish because your brain is too scattered to focus on it.
2:  Talking about amphetamines and caffeine, not sugar.  Sugar crashes are for children and diabetics.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #7479 on: June 25, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
1:  It is not fun, I was being sarcastic.  On the plus side the crash is prevented from being utterly hellish because your brain is too scattered to focus on it.
2:  Talking about amphetamines and caffeine, not sugar.  Sugar crashes are for children and diabetics.

Okay, that's what I assumed. Just making sure. :)
Caffeine... can't say I've experianced one of those crashes, either. Coffee is typically something I drink when I'm hyper, because it lessens the hyperness somewhat.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #7480 on: June 25, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
Caffeine... can't say I've experianced one of those crashes, either. Coffee is typically something I drink when I'm hyper, because it lessens the hyperness somewhat.

To experience the ultimate crash (for whatever reason) keep yourself awake for three days using the magical combination of amphetamines, cigarettes and energy drinks.  By the end you shall reach the ultimate state of apathy where nothing but rest matters, but at least your work is done.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7481 on: June 25, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
I did the pottermore thing
and then I got gryffindor
how
hOW
i'm not even that brave hOW
i wanted the snake house
I tried pottermore two or three years ago but quit when i got gryffindor. I would've accepted ravenclaw or hufflepuff, like, a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE OF SUCCESS HERE,, and yet

tbh I probably only tried it to see what house I'd get anyway
you'll know where to find me.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7482 on: June 25, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »
I tried pottermore two or three years ago but quit when i got gryffindor. I would've accepted ravenclaw or hufflepuff, like, a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE OF SUCCESS HERE,, and yet

tbh I probably only tried it to see what house I'd get anyway

also why is it that how a person is at 11 years old define them for the next seven years what the ever-flipping heck jk rolwling

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #7483 on: June 25, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
also why is it that how a person is at 11 years old define them for the next seven years what the ever-flipping heck jk rolwling

I don't know, why do people in their early teens have to choose subjects that will inevitably effect the career options in later life?  A hat that judges the core elements of someone's personality seems fairer to me.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #7484 on: June 25, 2015, 11:20:36 AM »
I don't know, why do people in their early teens have to choose subjects that will inevitably effect the career options in later life?  A hat that judges the core elements of someone's personality seems fairer to me.

And at least the sorting hat seems to have some ability to predict who you'll become, even if the traits don't immediately manifest themselves *cough cough Neville cough cough* And I got Slytherin? I... can't really say I expected that.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!