Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410225 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7380 on: June 23, 2015, 04:03:30 AM »
I think everyone should spend a little less time on the forum, actually...
Is this some magic wisdom you've brought back from the outside world? :O (or when you stopped doing the Daily Page Updates and changed to a Weekly/Fortnightly Catch-up for the comic? Because that sounds like a good idea)

I actually agree, not sure how to phrase the "why", but I agree.
I used to be super addicted to the comic and the forum, and then when I took it down a whole lotta notches, I realised how dependant I was and that I didn't really need to be there all the time... (also I remembered that I had friends and responsibilities and stuff <_<) and now I barely remember to log on or even check the comic O__O Like, not completely, but I do forget. Gotta fit the forum into ya life, not ya life into the forum? Gotta be balance and moderation~

Or am I misinterpreting? :I
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #7381 on: June 23, 2015, 05:03:10 AM »
Maybe. Yes. Of course. But huuuuuuu, being more social ? é_è

Koalalou, I hope all will be all right :)

Living with housemates is about making concessions. Ok. But I'll never be able to understand why the shopping for food must be made at 8h30 or 9AM at the latest T_T *Bird of the night. Suffers*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7382 on: June 23, 2015, 05:31:31 AM »

AHEHE HEH HA
you're probably right. I can't exactly argue on my addiction, not when I have the highest post-per-day average, and I would probably benefit from spending less time online... But on the other hand I'm a little thrown into various Life Things out in the big scary world and it's a little overwhelming and changing a lot, so it's nice to have a kind of, idk, forum home? I might be almost completely on my own in a big scary city but at least I have friends over here, so I don't feel lonely at all.

Plus I've got a bazillion art trades to do.

Koalalou, I hope you'll be all right!
you'll know where to find me.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #7383 on: June 23, 2015, 05:52:46 AM »
No, pretty sure most goldsmiths wouldn't feel threatened by acetone alone. You need at least a torch to go with it.

You're thinking of acetyl, acetone is a solvent.

Let's see, rust + aluminum + heat = molten iron + aluminum oxides + FIIIIIIIRE. (There's still a little crater/splatter-mark on the sidewalk outside the science building from the iron getting loose during that demo.)

This becomes extra important if you do smelting at home like me.  Have to make sure you don't get steel and aluminium mixed into the same crucible or you have one big sparkler on your hands.

Maybe we could not burn things down? And not use fire? 

Oh sure, and while we are at it why not stop juggling knives or doing anything fun?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7384 on: June 23, 2015, 06:02:52 AM »
You're thinking of acetyl, acetone is a solvent.

Nope, I'm thinking of acetone:

Spoiler: show
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #7385 on: June 23, 2015, 06:14:59 AM »
Nope, I'm thinking of acetone:

Sorry, thought you were referring to an oxy-acetylene torch.  Wouldn't really worry about burning acetone that much though, as flames go it isn't that hot and it evaporates so quickly that you'll need to bring a flame near a source like that in the video soon or it will all be gone.  (Yes you could potentially light a bottle of it but then you are being careless.)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7386 on: June 23, 2015, 06:21:43 AM »
Sorry, thought you were referring to an oxy-acetylene torch.  Wouldn't really worry about burning acetone that much though, as flames go it isn't that hot and it evaporates so quickly that you'll need to bring a flame near a source like that in the video soon or it will all be gone.  (Yes you could potentially light a bottle of it but then you are being careless.)

That would entirely depend on you surroundings, a goldsmith's workshop is the last place you want any uncontrolled flame in... so many other things there that can easily join in. However, acetone on its own is no problem and is actually quite useful so chances are you'd find it in a workshop anyway.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7387 on: June 23, 2015, 06:25:07 AM »
Poor goldsmith.

AHEHE HEH HA
you're probably right. I can't exactly argue on my addiction, not when I have the highest post-per-day average, and I would probably benefit from spending less time online... But on the other hand I'm a little thrown into various Life Things out in the big scary world and it's a little overwhelming and changing a lot, so it's nice to have a kind of, idk, forum home? I might be almost completely on my own in a big scary city but at least I have friends over here, so I don't feel lonely at all.

Plus I've got a bazillion art trades to do.

I agree with you. I should probably spend less time here, but it's also the first time I've felt like I fit in somewhere, and I don't have to hide or change and I feel like I can finally just breathe. It's a nice feeling. But mmmrrrrhhh I should probably work on my addiction a bit.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7388 on: June 23, 2015, 07:24:37 AM »
It doesn't appear like there is a thread for stuff that you made up at 7:00 in the morn, so here goes.

This is a struggle
My own kind of fight
I will help you
but not in the light

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #7389 on: June 23, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »
It doesn't appear like there is a thread for stuff that you made up at 7:00 in the morn, so here goes.

This is a struggle
My own kind of fight
I will help you
but not in the light

I would have thought that there'd be some sort of Forum Poetry Thread? ...But...I can't see one.. but I could be missing it because of tiredness though <_<
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #7390 on: June 23, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »
That would entirely depend on you surroundings, a goldsmith's workshop is the last place you want any uncontrolled flame in... so many other things there that can easily join in. However, acetone on its own is no problem and is actually quite useful so chances are you'd find it in a workshop anyway.

Oh indeed very useful, though no doubt for different reasons for both of us.  Working as a goldsmith/jeweller does sound pretty interesting, haven't really put much thought to it before.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #7391 on: June 23, 2015, 11:22:33 AM »
Hey guys, how's everyone doin'? :)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7392 on: June 23, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
most interesting thing that happened to me today was breaking a glass i was inspecting. good job, self
you'll know where to find me.

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #7393 on: June 23, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
more sadder then my normal sadness.
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Mélusine

« Reply #7394 on: June 23, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Late housewarming party by my housemates tomorrow. They think we'll be at least 15 which is a huge number of persons for me. So, I have my hands into floor, sugar, lemon, eggs, that kind of things.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: