Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409189 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #570 on: October 18, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
That happens to everyone. I killed hundreds of conversation trains on the other forum I used.  If we had PR on here, they would lovingly call it "pulling the e-stop" on conversation trains.  Either way, it's not as if we don't like you or anything; I like reading your posts, at least.  Besides that, you're a freaking Potato Bunny.  How many other forums have Potato Bunnies?
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #571 on: October 18, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
So this is Apologizing and Thinking That You're the Guilty One day. I'm taking part, sorry everyone for being weird and killing conversations and whatever.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #572 on: October 18, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
So this is Apologizing and Thinking That You're the Guilty One day. I'm taking part, sorry everyone for being weird and killing conversations and whatever.
I've done it on the music thread like 15 times already.
Like I said, "happens to everyone."
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #573 on: October 18, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
everyone seems to know everyone because I'm still relatively new here

It seems a lot of the regulars know each other from the Disqus-comments on the comic, so you're not the only one feeling new in the community. Don't worry about it.

The discussions about fonts in the music thread reminded me of this old college humour clip. Comedy at its finest.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #574 on: October 18, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »
How many other forums have Potato Bunnies?
None; the last time I was active on any forum was years and years ago, so this forum is the only one with this specific potato bunny.  8)

And thanks, Eich, thanks, Nimphy, thanks, Fimbulvarg. I feel better about it all, and can make myslf stop being so twitchy about it now. :)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #575 on: October 18, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
It seems a lot of the regulars know each other from the Disqus-comments on the comic, so you're not the only one feeling new in the community. Don't worry about it.

The discussions about fonts in the music thread reminded me of this old college humour clip. Comedy at its finest.
Oh my gosh, Wide Latin killed me.
That was beautiful.  I'm kind of surprised I hadn't seen that one, yet.

None; the last time I was active on any forum was years and years ago, so this forum is the only one with this specific potato bunny.  8)

And thanks, Eich, thanks, Nimphy, thanks, Fimbulvarg. I feel better about it all, and can make myslf stop being so twitchy about it now. :)
Score one more for this place, then.

Anytime.  :)
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #576 on: October 18, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
Oh my gosh, Wide Latin killed me.
That was beautiful.  I'm kind of surprised I hadn't seen that one, yet.

First time I watched it I lost it at "MAILBOX". Windings is hilarious. I have that clip in my comedy bookmarks folder so I can watch it every now and then. It never gets old.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #577 on: October 18, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #578 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. That is the most amazing thing I've seen all day! Granted, it's only 10am, and I'm about to see if this mornings Dr Who sucks or not, but THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!
I lost it at the video description....then I was in inconsolable hysterics for the whole thing X'P

So this is Apologizing and Thinking That You're the Guilty One day.

Hehe General Discussion usually reminds me of the "Full Disclosure"  song from the Addams Family Musical, but today it's more so XD how does the line go? Gomez: "That was too dark. Even for us." Hehe
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:14:34 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #579 on: October 19, 2014, 01:08:13 AM »
It's probably mostly in my head, and of course everyone seems to know everyone because I'm still relatively new here, and I probably don't notice when it happens to other people, etc etc, so I'll try and be less socially awkward about everything. *twitch*

Awww, to me you're as key an ingredient of our Forum's tasty flavor-combo as anyone else on this thread!  (So what would that make you -- the cumin?  Lemongrass?  Garam masala?  The rum in the Planter's Punch?)

For some perspective on feeling "still relatively new here":  This forum DIDN'T EXIST 49 days ago.  I have, what, 3 weeks? seniority on you.  Big whoop.  By the end of Chapter 4, you'll have spent as much time here as I have so far.  (And you'll probably be a Safe-Zone Citizen by then.)

A bunch of posters know one another from aRTD, which is great; but I'm not one of them.  Some posters may have long social media presences on DeviantArt or whatever; again, I'm not one of them.  I'm just good at unpacking all my stuff and *acting* like I've got seniority.

I really only got into SSSS in late June, when the plot began speeding up.  I had originally followed a link from Girl Genius shortly after SSSS started, but the Prologue wasn't grabbing me.  So I only checked it every few weeks without much interest. 

Then suddenly in Chapter 2, something clicked.  Character interaction!  Humor!  Pathos!  Backstory!  Emil's explosives getting confiscated!  Adorable horsies!  Lalli being spooked by the moving sidewalk!  At that point I was hooked, and went back to reread it all from the start (as well as aRTD, which I had drifted away from somewhere in Chapter 4.). 

THEN I discovered the Disqus comments under each page, and my fate was sealed.  I used to kind of look down on obscure Internet fandoms... and haha, what irony, now here I am up to my neck in one.  It almost feels like coming out of the closet must:  "Say it loud, I'm geek and proud!"

So really, it only took me about 4 months to move from "near-total lack of interest in SSSS" to fanatic evangelist and forum bandwidth hogger.  Give yourself a little time, and you'll be a sagely nodding veteran too, looked up to by wide-eyed newbies.

Feel a bit less twitchy now, I hope?   :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:43:08 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #580 on: October 19, 2014, 02:13:14 AM »
I stumbled onto aRTD near it's end, around the runny babbit chapter.  I didn't even bother reading the comic for several weeks because I was just fascinated by the art, studying it and trying to learn as much as I could from it.  I had been teetering on the edge of learning a little art for a few months, but finding Minna's gallery work, with all of its cutesy weirdness and high technical level, is what really got me into drawing more.  Then I started reading the comic, limiting myself to 2 pages per day, for about a month or two, reading the comments after a comments section was installed, and reading Minna's blog posts.  After that I was reading five or six pages a day, and then I caught up through about the last 100 pages in one sitting and left my first comment at the end of the runny babbit chapter and got my newbie hug from Minna.  I showed up rather late for that comic, but it was nice.  There were only a few dozen commenters total, and even less regular ones.  (Mikko's been less frequent on SSSS, but his comments were a delight to read from the very beginning.)

Truthfully, I'm not as into SSSS as I was aRTD; I made the forum more for the wonderful community than the comic itself.  I still enjoy it, but just... slightly less, even though it should, by all accounts, be more enjoyable.  I think it has something to do with not being able to binge or limit myself for my own reasons.  I've considered pausing my read multiple times to build an archive buffer, and starting over to read at my own pace for a few months.  Either way, I'm glad it's attracting so many new readers.
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #581 on: October 19, 2014, 03:51:18 AM »
I didn't like the Ending of aRTD (Though I haven't my copy of the book yet). But the art style is so beautiful. SSSS is stronger on the storyline and that suits me fine.

I stumbled over the webcomic while doing a rewiew on a Saxonian Metal Band because they said their lyrics orientated on a self created comic (it turned out, that they used comic art style but they didn't actually draw a comic to all their lyrics). While I was searching for other Rock/Metal bands doing anything similar it took me here. Instead of taking a closer look on Coheed and Cambria it will be SSSS for a while now.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #582 on: October 19, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »
I learnt about aRTD when a friend sent me a picture of a page, claiming to have found "a hot Finnish psychopath" (They're that kind of friend ;___;) but I was more interested in the art style. (I was. No lies. ;P)

However, she had only taken a screen shot of the page because she didn't know you could SAVE images and I was so frustrated because I couldn't READ the page and I felt it was my duty to correct her when she said there was no difference between the hold-and-save and a screen shot Ò___Ó so I hunted down the comic (gosh knows how) found the page- it was the pike chapter where Hannu steals the boat 'and a whole bunch of garbage!!'- so I accomplished my mission, schooled their butt on image quality, and became totally hooked on aRTD, which was just starting out on the Bear chapter at the time.

And then, after much deliberating about "oh my gosh I would be in so much trouble if I wrote things on the internet I'll have to leave home and start a new life of petty crime and sculpture selling and wifi stealing MY FAMILY MUST NEVER FIND OUT" I left a comment under a different name, then eventually I created a new guest name shamelessly copying off the adjective/noun+animal+alliteration of GreenwoodGoat, (because I thought he was cool ;3) and the rest was history :/

*laughs maniacally*
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:31:28 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #583 on: October 19, 2014, 04:41:28 AM »
Oh, my story is not as crazy as the others' (especially OrigamiOwl's with the hot Finnish psychopath). I had read several times this title that apparently was very famous. A Redtail's Dream here, a Redtail's dream there. So one day I finally decided to check it out. I was drawn in by the amazing art, yes, but mainly by the characters. Hannu with his grumpiness, Ville being the cutest doggie ever, Puppy Fox... Well, Puppy Fox is Puppy Fox. What I really loved were all the little things (like section Ö, Astrid and Ville, the buns, Bear's diary...), but still, I didn't find the story THAT great. Too repetitive. When I finished reading through the archive, I thought I'd leave a comment - I don't even remember the exact chapter, I'm pretty sure it was shortly before Swan-chapter. And guess what - Minna answered! I was absolutely, positively shocked. Then I decided to read through the comments and found out about this incredible community. I particularly liked reading certain veterans' comments - OrigamiOwl, Riorlyne, ThisCat, Eich, GreenwoodGoat, and of course Mikko.

Then aRTD came to an end. Surprinsingly, it was by that time my favorite webcomic, and I was sure SSSS would never be that good. Minna proved me wrong in the first few pages. I decided I wanted to become one of the veterans, so I started behaving like one. And here I am!

Story time is over.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #584 on: October 19, 2014, 05:22:48 AM »
http://youtu.be/TwJheWwW7rw

Hehehe this is practically every Minion right now. :P