Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411648 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7260 on: June 20, 2015, 08:19:57 PM »
I always feel terrible because I'm not very coherent just by inability to speak words properly, not even accent, because I get really nervous while I'm speaking and start to plan out what I'll say next and then before I realize it a bunch of nonsense has come out of my mouth. It happens about every other sentence and I feel especially bad for anybody who doesn't speak English as a first language because not even the native speakers can understand me?? It doesnt help my social anxiety at all, yayy

Oh gosh, I'm the same way. I trip over my own words as I speak like everytime I say more than one sentence. I always have to restart words, like, "Preva- er, previum -bluh- PRE-MI-UM." I'd been chalking it down to needing more practice talking to people.
Having a quiet voice of course doesn't help either.

I relate to this so much. Sometimes the words come out from my mouth so wrong that I just give up correcting myself and hope that nobody notices. And if I can do this when speaking in my native language, imagine what I do when I try to speak in another language... That's why I needed a script to record the accent thing.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #7261 on: June 20, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »
Oh gosh, I'm the same way. I trip over my own words as I speak like everytime I say more than one sentence. I always have to restart words, like, "Preva- er, previum -bluh- PRE-MI-UM." I'd been chalking it down to needing more practice talking to people.

This, so much. Even if I've planned out what I'm going to say, I'll inevitably blank out and either get stuck on a word like that or just freeze (mid-handmotion) and try to figure out what I'm going to say, which I then proceed to clarify and re-clarify in the fastest possible speed. And then of course because no one got that (or because I can't tell if they got it) I then verbally "backspace" and then start again.

I'm trying to work on pacing myself and speaking slower so there's less rapid-babbling-gap-rapid-babbling-gap, but so far I haven't made much progress.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7262 on: June 20, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
This, so much. Even if I've planned out what I'm going to say, I'll inevitably blank out and either get stuck on a word like that or just freeze (mid-handmotion) and try to figure out what I'm going to say, which I then proceed to clarify and re-clarify in the fastest possible speed. And then of course because no one got that (or because I can't tell if they got it) I then verbally "backspace" and then start again.

I'm trying to work on pacing myself and speaking slower so there's less rapid-babbling-gap-rapid-babbling-gap, but so far I haven't made much progress.

...And then talking faster makes it more likely to mess up. >.<

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7263 on: June 20, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
This is interesting. I'm shy, and I really don't like small talk about random pointless things, so I don't talk to a lot of people at school and such, but sometimes when I get excited I talk fast and use my hands or when I am really emotional about something I run out of words to describe it, but I don't think that's quite the same thing as what you're talking about. Spelling however, I am horrible at. I cannot spell in the English language to save my life (I am using spell check now).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:15:33 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #7264 on: June 20, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »
Oh dear gods, speaking words. As anyone who's ever had more than a two-minute conversation with me in real life can attest, I am not very articulate. My words turn into random babble mid-sentence, and I just keep going. Or of course there's suddenly forgetting how to speak English and freezing. I swear, my most frequently uttered sentence is "Blech. I can't speak words today."
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7265 on: June 20, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »

yes!!! I also switch around the order in my sentences, so it often doesn't come out right until the third or fourth try, which just makes me sound even more nervous and it doesn't help anything. I'm actually kid of loud around loud people because I feel like I have to compensate for my lack of coherency with EXUBERANT NOISE which just broadcasts my mistakes worse, hhhh
YEET

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #7266 on: June 20, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
I am often the one asking "huh? what did you say?" multiple times, even though I have really good hearing. I am usually focused on background noise, like I will be talking to someone and my mind will go blank of both what I just said and what I will say, because of someone else's conversation, and will stay there with my mouth open looking like an idiot before some one prompts me again. Also, I will interrupt my own conversation to reply to someone else's across the room.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #7267 on: June 20, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »
Okay, so my 'plufff!' When my mouth doesn't form words is not all that strange.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
« Reply #7268 on: June 20, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
there's people like me...
I constantly get words mixed up due to nervousness from social anxiety. I guess adrenaline is rushing too much and so my body's just like WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO HAVE A CONVERSATION?!? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE PANICKING!!!
Yeah, it's not very helpful.
Nor is the fact that I get thoughts waaaaaay faster than I speak, so I'm having a thought process of something very different from what I'm saying, and the two invariably get mixed up.
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7269 on: June 21, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »
When I was eight years old I was diagnosed with a speech impediment and the pediatrician recommended that I get speech therapy.
But that's expensive, so I didn't.
Ten years later, I've won a scholarship with a speech and qualified for nationals in a speech-and-debate league.
The thing about speaking is that everyone (and I mean everyone) can improve. Some people are never going to be amazing speakers, and that's okay. But you can get better than you are now.

Some tips that have helped me:
1. One. Word. At. A. Time. It. Sounds. So. Wrong. But. If. You. Force. Yourself. To. Go. Slowly. Then. When. You're. Nervous. And. Speed. Up. You're. Still. At. An. Understandable. Speed.
2. Tricky tumbling tongue-twisters are terrific friends. Say them over and over.
3. Memorize poems, especially those with tricky words. Record yourself reciting them, and listen for what you want to change.
4. Practice, practice, practice. Read out loud to yourself, compose poetry, have long conversations, go ahead and sign up for that speech contest if that's what it takes.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7270 on: June 21, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »
...I can't even talk to myself. Like, even if I knew I was alone in my house, I don't think I could build up the courage to record my voice to even, say, post in the vocaroo thread.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7271 on: June 21, 2015, 12:22:20 AM »
...I can't even talk to myself. Like, even if I knew I was alone in my house, I don't think I could build up the courage to record my voice to even, say, post in the vocaroo thread.
Me: FIX IT!
Me: It doesn't need to be fixed and you're not the person to fix it anyway.
Me: But... fix it?
Me: No.
Me: Advice?
Me: No. No unsolicited advice, we've TALKED about this.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #7272 on: June 21, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »

Piney, you have a lovely voice.  I can attest to this, having conversed with you at the meetup.

Don't make me go and get other attestations!
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7273 on: June 21, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »
Piney, you have a lovely voice.  I can attest to this, having conversed with you at the meetup.

Don't make me go and get other attestations!

*arises from slumber*
It's not the sound of my voice at all, it's anxiety about talking in general. How I sound is a whole other conversation.
Every other week in English class last year, my teacher would make everyone do a "podcast" on a prompt - he wouldn't let us turn in written stuff for the assignment. So I'd always write out a whole essay first, and then record myself saying the essay, and to record myself I'd lock myself in the utility room of my house to make sure absolutely no one was listening to me. I dreaded those assignments.
I also would only skype with family members during the school year if I could assure my roommate was away for the weekend.
...Phone calls are hell.

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #7274 on: June 21, 2015, 01:42:22 AM »
I also would only skype with family members during the school year if I could assure my roommate was away for the weekend.
...Phone calls are hell.

Hee hee, my office mate and I do this all the time -- not for the weekend obviously but we both hate to talk on the phone when anyone else is listening.

Personally I think it's totally okay to lock yourself in whatever kind of container you have to.  There's nothing weird about that!  :D
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!