Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387489 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #540 on: October 17, 2014, 10:13:28 PM »
I usually don't like bugs/insects if they harmful in any way (If they can carry diseases and what not or can bite you), but other than that, I get nervous around them. I don't mind them much.
Yeah, growing up with two older sisters and a fraidy cat mother did not help my chances of becoming an exterminator.
I blame them.

On another note, just saw the forum has 4444 posts, which is pretty cool.
Also, it's been around for a month and a half now.  That's also pretty cool.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #541 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
Yeah, growing up with two older sisters and a fraidy cat mother did not help my chances of becoming an exterminator.
I blame them.

But what about...butterflies?! And ladybirds?! Just saw the summer's first butterfly this morning, it was so nice!

Also, a month and a half! Wow! Feels like it's been here for years! O__O
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #542 on: October 17, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

Yes, our little community is quite a bustling place now.  And troll/spam-free since those first few "Gucci bag" attempts, which is rare.

But if you have any experience with how other online communities grow, do you know if this one has a typical growth rate?  I noticed that early on, we were adding dozens of new members a day, and now we're lucky to get 2.

Also, we have about 40 members who haven't made any posts at all, and another 50-odd who've only done one.  (In other words, very much a "long tail" of contributors.)  Is that normal? 

I read somewhere that for blog/Web pages (e.g. the Disqus threads to the main comic), you can assume for every 1 comment, there are between 10 and 20 other readers.  If so, Minna's comic readership is quite healthy.  I recognize a lot of Disqus posters, but many new names show up every day -- and for many of them, SSSS is the first/only Disqus post they've made.  (I'm paying such close attention to community dynamics because I'm applying for jobs in the tech-marketing field, and I want to sound knowledgeable about social media.  Unlike Sigrun, I can expect to be grilled about my experience *before* I get the job.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #543 on: October 17, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
My mom and I are having a very strange conversation via text message about ears... Just another episode in an altogether unusual day.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #544 on: October 18, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »
My mom and I are having a very strange conversation via text message about ears... Just another episode in an altogether unusual day.

Haha that's an odd topic! XD

I just had to bury a dead parrot O__O where did it even come from? How long had it been there?? How did I and my cat not notice it until now??? Mysteries....Mysteries.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #545 on: October 18, 2014, 12:31:03 AM »
But what about...butterflies?! And ladybirds?! Just saw the summer's first butterfly this morning, it was so nice!

Also, a month and a half! Wow! Feels like it's been here for years! O__O
Butterflies are nice until you get up close.  Those pretty wings belie their true natures. 
Ladybirds (ladybugs over here <coccinellidae, for you biologists>) are nasty.  I used to be okay with them, until a swarm of them got into our dirty laundry, one day.  That was not a fun occasion.

Yes, our little community is quite a bustling place now.  And troll/spam-free since those first few "Gucci bag" attempts, which is rare.

But if you have any experience with how other online communities grow, do you know if this one has a typical growth rate?  I noticed that early on, we were adding dozens of new members a day, and now we're lucky to get 2.

Also, we have about 40 members who haven't made any posts at all, and another 50-odd who've only done one.  (In other words, very much a "long tail" of contributors.)  Is that normal? 

I read somewhere that for blog/Web pages (e.g. the Disqus threads to the main comic), you can assume for every 1 comment, there are between 10 and 20 other readers.  If so, Minna's comic readership is quite healthy.  I recognize a lot of Disqus posters, but many new names show up every day -- and for many of them, SSSS is the first/only Disqus post they've made.  (I'm paying such close attention to community dynamics because I'm applying for jobs in the tech-marketing field, and I want to sound knowledgeable about social media.  Unlike Sigrun, I can expect to be grilled about my experience *before* I get the job.)
I'm quite happy with how well the bot fix worked out. 

Warning, wall of text inbound.  Keep your TL;DR at the ready.

That's all very normal, from what I've experienced.  Those first couple of weeks on here had so many new members because I made sure to make lots of announcements in the comments, once I realized I was going to make it (if you look back at those pages where I got started, you'll see quite a bit of publicizing going on).  So lots of people knew about it, but the activity was slow enough (on comic related topics, at least and, from what I've seen we actually had a relatively fast start) in that time that a lot of people lost interest or forgot (that slow start, almost ironically, was what caused topics to move that slowly in the first place and make people forget, slowing it more...).  It's why I made the "super-newbie" group.  I wanted to be able to keep track of the non-posters efficiently.

As far as the current growth rate goes, we're still above average.  The longest established forum I was a part of was lucky to get 2 new members in a month.  That was the now-defunct SuckerPunch forums (RIP...  :'().  Of course, you have to account for the publicity of the site.  They made some fantastic games, but they had no significant advertising for a long time, so not many people knew about them.  This is going to be a long paragraph...  Once they did get some advertising money (for their most recent game), and started an ad campaign, I showed up and stuck around, along with one other frequent user.  Around the launch of the game, new members started showing up in droves, between 3 and 10 a day, for a couple of weeks, but most of them only made between 1 and 40 posts.  Out of all of them, I can only think of one who became a regular user.  He was delightful.  In the 5 or 6 years it was around, the SP forum got several thousand members, but only a few hundred of them used it for more than a few weeks at a time.  That place shut down because the studio was bought by Sony, so PlayStation assimilated the site into the PS forum.  That place has... tens of thousands of users, and gets lots of new ones every hour (I hesitate to say hundreds of thousands, because orders of magnitude quickly escalate into hyperbole   :-X). 

Considering the number of donators in both of Minna's indiegogo campaigns, I'd say we're still gaining members at an unprecedented rate, though it fits within the 10-20 rule you stated.  This is, after all, a rather obscure forum for one of the more well known members of an extremely obscure pastime.  Webcomics aren't the most popular kind of media, and there's a definite oversaturation of them right now.  Just check TWC.  A lot of comics don't even use that site at all, but they still have a lot registered in their database.  All in all, I'd say we're doing quite well here.

Wall of text: passed.  Proceed with normal foruming.

Also, concerning the SuckerPunch forums (from the wall of text you skippers): That place was very different from here, lots of sarcasm and stupidity, but everyone was just playing, and not very serious.  At the same time, we had a "Religion and Politics" thread, and we were mature enough to avoid getting the thread get nuked by the mods.  The community was tight, and had some very cool members.  It closed down the day before I came back to college, two weeks before I started this, and nobody made the move over to the PS forums.  I wasn't expecting it to hit me quite so hard, but it actually made me pretty sad to see that place go.  Some of us still keep in contact, but we're never going to get any new members again; that community's days are numbered.  I brought some pieces of that place to here when I made the forum.  The Art Museum, the setup for the GDB we're using now that caught on so well, and the music thread, are a few of the things I knew I would want here, that I found on there.
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #546 on: October 18, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »
Haha that's an odd topic! XD

I just had to bury a dead parrot O__O where did it even come from? How long had it been there?? How did I and my cat not notice it until now??? Mysteries....Mysteries.

Dead parrot? That's really odd.

The conversation drifted away from ears a few minutes ago and my mom ended up sending me a recording of her singing the German alphabet quickly followed by a recording of my sister's "Velociraptor Mating Call."

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #547 on: October 18, 2014, 12:53:04 AM »

The conversation drifted away from ears a few minutes ago and my mom ended up sending me a recording of her singing the German alphabet quickly followed by a recording of my sister's "Velociraptor Mating Call."
Pfft.  Your sister has a velociraptor mating call.  That's both hilarious and cool. 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #548 on: October 18, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »

Velociraptor!!!! :D so cool!

Yeah...it was quite dead. So dead in fact, that underneath it's plumage it's tiny body hade been reanimated by a writhing hoard of hungry ma--- I'll stop there I think >;) for the sake of the squeamish. And bug-phobics (COUGHEICHCOUGH!) Although the grossest thing about it was its eyes or, replacement of ...
But it got a nice funeral. :3

Hmmmm I wonder if the m--- uh, corpse residents will evolve to their adult form and dig themselves out of the grave and fly away....? Eeeeew..

?~ I'm going to give myself a dorky star for reading the text wall ;3
You built a good forum Eich, it's like a large multi-purpose building with cafés, restaurants, spa, garage workshop, art studio and gallery, kitchens, theme park, book store and groovy accommodation :3 it's a huge five-star hotel hehehe! With regular guests and residents, and passers-through! Yeah that's what it seems like! Heehee you get all the star badges~ (=???)? ????????

Edit: awwwwww my stars and punctuation face got all confused and didn't show :(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:44:28 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #549 on: October 18, 2014, 01:35:51 AM »

Did... d-did you say "dead parrot"?  As in,
"This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace!  'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, rung down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!"

Are dead parrots just routinely found on the ground in Australia?  Or do you live in a particularly surreal part of the Land Down Under?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #550 on: October 18, 2014, 01:36:54 AM »
I just finished reading through all the current comic pages with my mom! The only characters she can so far consistently recognize are Emil and Tuuri but it think there's a good chance I've gotten her semi-hooked. (She's pretty skilled at ignoring obsessions, however, so we'll have to see if it sticks.)

And yaaay, PSAT tomorrow at 8:00 am. Totally isn't a problem I've stayed up to nearly 11 reading the comic... (For those who are unfamiliar, the PSAT is a practice, but big-deal, test. I can't remember what the acronym stands for at the moment.) I'm sure I'll be fine, I took it last year and did pretty well for my grade level - plus my mom told me some interesting stories from when she took the SAT.

Pfft.  Your sister has a velociraptor mating call.  That's both hilarious and cool. 

Yeah, um... I wasn't even aware she had one until I heard the recording. Not that I've ever heard a velociraptor, but the second I heard it, before I was even informed it was my sister pretending to be a dinosaur, I thought, "velociraptor... What is she doing that for?"

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #551 on: October 18, 2014, 01:54:44 AM »
Did... d-did you say "dead parrot"?  As in,
"This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace!  'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, rung down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!"

Are dead parrots just routinely found on the ground in Australia?  Or do you live in a particularly surreal part of the Land Down Under?

Well, living on a fruit farm next to the bush means lots and lots of parrots!
These ones=

So seeing a dead one every now and then (and other animals) is pretty normal :/ This one flew into the garage window :(

It did look kind of bizarre and surreal though because the orchards are blossoming and there are petals floating through the air everywhere like a wedding or anime high school :P So there were these beautiful petals serenely landing on a maggoty bird corpse O___Ò

Edit: I went outside and took some dorky photos for you Sunflower

There are two ornamental blossoming trees (top) and that's where most of the petals are from- it's all very romantic until one lands in your eye ;P
And then the apple blossoms are more laid back, but they're bigger. And then there's a random waratah which is in full bloom too :3
So it smells really nice outside!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:15:06 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #552 on: October 18, 2014, 02:15:50 AM »
Whohooo, so, in a new hotel right now, and things are cool. No brilliantly beautiful breakfasts, but there's a pool to use, usable Wi-Fi if I want to do anything bar videos, and I don't have to share a bed with my sister. Yay.

I was pleasantly surprised at the insurance, too. I've also only heard scare-stories, rather than success ones XD So this is nice.

There's actually quite a lot of silver linings to this whole week-long ordeal (and since I don't have to lug around belongings this weekend, I can finally get myself to think about them, hahaaaa):
  • I've finally been able to download The Witcher 2 due to the good connection in the first hotel PLUS UPDATE EEEEEVERYTHING
  • the breakfasts
  • the fact that this new floor is better quality than the old one was and adds to the house value
  • we all get built-in wardrobes (my old wardrobe is falling to bits, literally. It's around 16 years old and we've been lugging it around overseas and everything, haha. So this is a Very Good Thing.)
  • ... that's all. Except that it COULD have been Very Much Worse.

Yeessss, he's a really cool teacher! Looking forward to it lots~ Though not much towards all the work I'm going to be doing between then and now, haha.

Aaah, you had a really good year there :D Sounds wonderful~ Hmm, in college, I had a history teacher that would regularly, at least twice a term, do a sort of movie/food day, where he'd bring along a lot of snacks with him to school and we'd watch either an historical movie relating to topic like Schindler's List and The Quiet American or do essays while snacking on chips/chocolates/licorice.

Ah, well, I'm actually doing an IT course in setting up networks and other related things at TAFE between graduating year 12 and starting uni. So, no exams. Because TAFE is cool like that. But we do have a deadline as to when everything should be finished, and that's in 7 weeks. Or rather, 6 weeks now. Eish, they go by waaaay too fast.

Uuuuurgh we have a lot of rosellas here, too, and your description has led to some NIGHTMARE FUEL imagery dancing around in my brain. Eeeew. Good thing, though, I have lots of new material for my next art project... hmmm-mmmm.

Edit: Due to The Quiet American bringing all Michael Caine movies I've ever seen to mind, it begs the question: has anyone here ever seen that beauty of a Sherlock Holmes adaptation Without A Clue?

Also, OrigamiOwl, you live in a beautiful place.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:19:32 AM by Lenny »
Am notified of private messages via email.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #553 on: October 18, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »

You built a good forum Eich, it's like a large multi-purpose building with cafés, restaurants, spa, garage workshop, art studio and gallery, kitchens, theme park, book store and groovy accommodation :3 it's a huge five-star hotel hehehe! With regular guests and residents, and passers-through! Yeah that's what it seems like!

Yes, I totally agree!  I'm so pleased when I see all the various forum conversations humming away, on topics as wide-ranging as fuel cells, Scandinavian dining habits, literary analysis, and *ahem* Lalli's shiny boots.  I have to hope that in addition to the participants, there are plenty of other readers who appreciate our insights, and the generally positive atmosphere, even if they're just visiting.

I brought some pieces of that place to here when I made the forum [e.g.]  The Art Museum, the setup for the GDB we're using now that caught on so well, and the music thread...
Those were all great ideas.  (I don't know what "GDB" means, but we've had a lot of things catch on well!) 

I like how Eich set up outlets for off-topic conversations and even games, separately from other topics.  That way, people who enjoy just hanging out and chatting can do so without subject-oriented people getting cranky because they're "hogging the bandwidth."

Warning: <rant> The "conversation-hogging" kind of bugs me in other forums/discussion threads where all posters and topics have to share one line. 

I do most of my newspaper reading online these days, and have several advice/opinion columnists I follow.  Nowadays, they all have Disqus-type forums under that day's column, just like Minna's main comic page.  But it's just a single "open line," though with nested comments. 

Naturally, regular posters come to know one another and even become friends.  Which is fine -- human warmth and fellowship is precious wherever it springs up.  But because I am sometimes a mean and uncharitable person, I get SO ANNOYED when that little group of friends' totally off-topic conversations grow to take over the single comment line.  I wanted to hear what other people think about Miss Manners' advice on monogramming your silver (or whatever), not have to sit through a bunch of strangers' kaffee klatsch:  "...Well, Mr. Sunflower and I finally decided to buy a new car, and we think we'll go for a hybrid for the sake of the tax write-off, but Dear Hubby wants to get a Tesla and I think it's too expensive, blah blah blah..."

The truth is, some of that resentment was due to envy -- the chatters were part of an in-group with their own little in-jokes, separate from the much larger group of people who were just here for Miss Manners (or whatever).  Now that I've found a cozy corner in this "huge five-star hotel" (with old-fashioned beadboard paneling, overstuffed IKEA sofas, lots of bookshelves, the teapot always hot, and extra cups set out for visitors), I feel more sympathetic.

A bit more sympathetic, anyway.  I'm selfish enough to think "Stop talking about your stuff when I want to hear about my stuff!"  Which brings me back to my original realization -- it's definitely a "best practice" to allow separate spaces for socializing and all kinds of interests.  </rant>

Maybe it says something about our shared enthusiasm that it happens to bring together such wonderful, interesting people, from all over the world and mid-teens to retirement age.  As C.S. Lewis says in "The Four Loves" (slightly edited):
Friendship arises out of mere Companionship when two or more of the companions discover that they have in common some insight or interest or even taste which the others do not share and which, till that moment, each believed to be his [or her] own unique treasure (or burden). The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one."   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:26:41 AM by Sunflower »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #554 on: October 18, 2014, 02:38:59 AM »

It did look kind of bizarre and surreal because the orchards are blossoming and there are petals floating through the air everywhere like a wedding or anime high school :P So there were these beautiful petals serenely landing on a maggoty bird corpse O___Ò

Edit: I went outside and took some dorky photos for you Sunflower

There are two ornamental blossoming trees (top) and that's where most of the petals are from- it's all very romantic until one lands in your eye ;P
And then the apple blossoms are more laid back, but they're bigger. And then there's a random waratah which is in full bloom too :3
So it smells really nice outside!

Ohh, those photos are beautiful!  Not "dorky" at all!  Spring is my favorite time of year, and it was even more when I was a newspaper reporter out in orchard-land!  Apple, almond, pistachio, apricot, peach, plum, pear.... most of those acres have been replaced by houses.   :-\

Are those top 2 photos flowering cherry?  Do you know A.E. Housman's poem, "Loveliest of trees, the cherry..."?  IMHO, the cherry really *is* the loveliest of trees.  Even without leaves, fruiting cherry trees (Bings are the major variety in California) are pruned into the most graceful wineglass shape, like upside-down Gothic windows.  I realize farmers can't afford to get all sentimental about their units of economic production, but those are certainly more uplifting than oil pumps or spinning jennies.