Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409708 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7110 on: June 19, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
The hilarious thing is that I'm actually allergic to my avatar!  For several years, I rented a plot in the local community garden, where I grew multicolored sunflowers (and other easy things, like zucchini).  One September day, I clipped a big bouquet of sunflowers for my father's birthday, and set out on the commuter train to meet him in San Francisco. 

After an hour of riding and then walking with the bouquet of flowers (covered with pollen) right under my face, my eyes were swollen and my nose streaming.  I'd never been in such prolonged contact with sunflowers, and could never be again (now that the allergies had been triggered).   :(

I'm looking for work in the high-tech field, and recently applied to a company that handles "Big Data" generated by machines and other nodes on the "Internet of Things."  So I'm sure there must be a Web-enabled vase somewhere, ready for Sunflower to upload her consciousness into.  I'm holding out for 1920s-style carnival glass, myself.  (Maybe even uranium glass, which glows radioactive green under UV.)

Oof, that's a shame about your allergy!  :(
Maybe Sunflower can become cyber-Sunflower (I'm imagining something that looks like it came out of a Tron film) in the near future!

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

AND NO-ONE REGRETS THAT
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7111 on: June 19, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
I may or may not have forgotten that Captain Ása's name is actually Ása and not Laufey....
Capn' Laufey!  :D Sailing the high seas and delivering tuna and knitware to those in need.
(Some deliveries may contain a Reynir)

Don't forget I also have a blackmail-able past. I do in fact. ;D (Nothing illegal, just... er... embarrassing. And not only in the past, f.ex. currently Haiz holds on to one of my embarrassing secrets and I can only hope they won't start blackmailing me with what they have.)

This is beautiful. We're all watched over by a sentient vase of flowers.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7112 on: June 19, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
Don't forget I also have a blackmail-able past. I do in fact. ;D (Nothing illegal, just... er... embarrassing. And not only in the past, f.ex. currently Haiz holds on to one of my embarrassing secrets and I can only hope they won't start blackmailing me with what they have.)

*is now curious*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7113 on: June 19, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
*is now curious*
Laufey, you shouldn't have told us this.
*starts imagining what it could be*

Speaking of blackmail, I know of one guy who can never run for office because if he does my friend will reveal that he used to fake bomb threats while in college.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:59:44 PM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7114 on: June 19, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »

*is now curious*

Laufey, you shouldn't have told us this.
*starts imagining what it could be*

*everybody sending PM's to Haiz at the same time*
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7115 on: June 19, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
yES to the "still imagining everyone looking like their avatars" thing, I've seen actual pics of Laufey and YET you will always be Captain Ása in my mind. (and SectoBoss, well, I hope you enjoy being pictured as a sentient

I remember someone saying they associated my former avatar with me ling ago, I can't recall who. Anyways, I associate Haiz, Laufey, Curry and Sunflower with their ssssonas rather than avatars. Sectoboss I associate with his first avatar because it reminded me of something called sectopods from Xcom. Eich and Nimphy will always be Chris Hadley and Winry Rockbell in my mind's eye.

Note to self: acquire blackmail material on Haiz.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7116 on: June 19, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
*everybody sending PM's to Haiz at the same time*

Pssst.... Hey Haiz?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #7117 on: June 19, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
Sectoboss I associate with his first avatar because it reminded me of something called sectopods from Xcom.

I am actually named after the sectopod! And the avatar I got from Half-Life 2, it's the reactor symbol in episode 1

Also Laufey, you do realise half the forum seems to have turned round to stare quizically at you now?
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7118 on: June 19, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
I remember my first days on the forum, when I was just getting to know everyone, and as I read the posts, I would go:

"Ok, here's Haiz, here's Curry, here's Sunflower, here's... Loki's dad?"

(I must say, Laufey, it took me some time to get used to your username)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7119 on: June 19, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
LAUFEY WHY DID YOU SAY I KNEW ANYTHING that's honestly not even that blackmailable in my eyes but YOU ARE OVERESTIMATING MY SECRET KEEPING ABILITIES UNDER PRESSURE

good luck on that, iF I'VE GOT NO HONOUR THEN I'VE GOT NO SHAME
I mean Emil probably remembers a million embarassing things I've done in grades 2-8, but I can probably blackmail him right back
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7120 on: June 19, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
I remember someone saying they associated my former avatar with me ling ago, I can't recall who. Anyways, I associate Haiz, Laufey, Curry and Sunflower with their ssssonas rather than avatars. Sectoboss I associate with his first avatar because it reminded me of something called sectopods from Xcom. Eich and Nimphy will always be Chris Hadley and Winry Rockbell in my mind's eye.

Mwahaha it wasn't me but I admit I still associate you with your previous avatar at times, at times with your SSSSsona! :D I'm somewhat SUPERpleased someone's actually associating me with the Lauftroll...

Like... something personal they haven't already mentioned online? Good luck.

"Ok, here's Haiz, here's Curry, here's Sunflower, here's... Loki's dad?"

(I must say, Laufey, it took me some time to get used to your username)

LOL well in reality Laufey was Loki's mother. :D He's one of those rare ones who have a matronymic instead of a patronymic. Aside of that Laufey also means "leaf island" (= a kenning for a tree) and is a rather ordinary girl's name in Iceland.

EDIT:
LAUFEY WHY DID YOU SAY I KNEW ANYTHING that's honestly not even that blackmailable in my eyes but YOU ARE OVERESTIMATING MY SECRET KEEPING ABILITIES UNDER PRESSURE

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:09:06 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7121 on: June 19, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
Like... something personal they haven't already mentioned online? Good luck.
*gigglesnorts awkwardly*
you'll know where to find me.

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7122 on: June 19, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
LOL well in reality Laufey was Loki's mother. :D He's one of those rare ones who have a matronymic instead of a patronymic. Aside of that Laufey also means "leaf island" (= a kenning for a tree) and is a rather ordinary girl's name in Iceland.

Ohh... Curse you Marvel, you taught me mythology wrong.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7123 on: June 19, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »
I've had several people say they imagine me as Emil. Cue gender confusion :D

...Speaking of blackmail, I know Sunflower has some blackmail-able information about me. Specifically 12-year-old me. 2008 was my worst year. :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #7124 on: June 19, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
...Speaking of blackmail, I know Sunflower has some blackmail-able information about me. Specifically 12-year-old me. 2008 was my worst year. :P

Sunflower probably has blackmail material on everyone, I think. (myself included)
I write a bit on AO3