Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409680 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7080 on: June 19, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
In a stunning turn of events, putting my me and  classmates into the hunger games simulator was the best and worst decision I have ever made in my life.

(some of these events were  absolutely priceless. And then there's the time I was killed by my friend so)

There are Hunger Games simulators, and then there's... HIGH SCHOOL. Don't worry though, with your survival instinct, you should be juuuuuuust fiiiiiiine ;)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7081 on: June 19, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
It's funny living in the South Hemisphere and being part of a scandinavian-themed fandom. I see everyone wishing "Happy Midsummer Thingy" and I'm just here, freezing.

Anyway, if there are any Jurassic Park fans over there, I just found this amusing video. Enjoy.

Spoiler: show

native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7082 on: June 19, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »

Anyway, if there are any Jurassic Park fans over there, I just found this amusing video. Enjoy.

That was funny. :) I just saw the new movie the other day.
Has anyone read the Jurassic Park books though? They're really interesting.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7083 on: June 19, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »
It's funny living in the South Hemisphere and being part of a scandinavian-themed fandom. I see everyone wishing "Happy Midsummer Thingy" and I'm just here, freezing.

*looks up the weather in Brazil*
*climbs onto roof*
*tries to fan the warm air over in your direction*
I read the first one, and it was interesting but very concept-based and almost solely plot-oriented. I like my books with more character orientation and development. (Also babies got killed and I hated that so much don't kill babies in books or movies please just don't it makes me so upset)
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7084 on: June 19, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
I read the first one, and it was interesting but very concept-based and almost solely plot-oriented. I like my books with more character orientation and development. (Also babies got killed and I hated that so much don't kill babies in books or movies please just don't it makes me so upset)

Yeah a lot more people die in the books than in the movies. A lot of main characters die that they would never kill off in a Hollywood movie.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7085 on: June 19, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »
Yeah a lot more people die in the books than in the movies. A lot of main characters die that they would never kill off in a Hollywood movie.
It's always frustrating interesting how different movie adaptations are from the books.
My dad's friend is a novelist and screenwriter and he says, "A book is a leisurely walk from A to B: a movie is a frantic rush from A to Z."
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7086 on: June 19, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
*looks up the weather in Brazil*
*climbs onto roof*
*tries to fan the warm air over in your direction*

Well, the sky cleared up a bit, so I guess it kinda worked? :o

As for the Jurassic Park books, I only read the first one, and I really liked it. Doctor Malcolm is way cooler in the books than how Jeff Goldblum portrayed him in the movies. And yes, the book has a lot of deaths, but I think it just makes the story more realistic. And Dr. Hammond is a jerk in the book version.

I tried to read the second book, but I got lazy and gave up.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #7087 on: June 19, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »

They were my favorite books as a kid! Ever since we were on a road trip (a common occurrence in my childhood: twice a year we'd do a three-day each way road trip to see family) and for some reason my dad figured playing a Lost World audiobook with his tiny delicate daughters in the car was a good idea... Probably the most violent books I'd read at that point in my childhood.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7088 on: June 19, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I've also read some of Michael Crichton's other books and they are so scary because the scenarios he writes about are things that are on the verge of existing in real life and therefore seem really realistic.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7089 on: June 19, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
Right, so, I just earned a whole new notch to my "I'm a moron"-tableside... I was helping myself to some crisps and was closing - well, trying to close - the bag with a clothespin (fun fact: clothespins work for everything)(for me at least) when the bag slipped off my hands. My brain managed a brief REACT!NOW! impulse -
- and I kicked the bag. Midair. It was still open.

This is the worst way of wasting half a bag of crisps.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7090 on: June 19, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
Right, so, I just earned a whole new notch to my "I'm a moron"-tableside... I was helping myself to some crisps and was closing - well, trying to close - the bag with a clothespin (fun fact: clothespins work for everything)(for me at least) when the bag slipped off my hands. My brain managed a brief REACT!NOW! impulse -

Crisp trebuchet? :D

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #7091 on: June 19, 2015, 02:11:45 PM »

I feel a bit bad for laughing as hard as I did at this...

I think half of the humour came because I still imagine everyone here as looking like their avatars, and the image of Captain Ása dragon-kicking a bag of crisps was just too much for me.

(Also yeah, clothespins have so many uses, it's wonderful)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7092 on: June 19, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
Crisp trebuchet? :D

HOW DARE YOU

I think half of the humour came because I still imagine everyone here as looking like their avatars, and the image of Captain Ása dragon-kicking a bag of crisps was just too much for me.

Well ok, I admit that would be a pretty hilarious scene! :D (I didn't manage anything as fancy as a dragon-kick tho, more like CORNER KICK TIME - oshi -)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7093 on: June 19, 2015, 02:21:04 PM »
I feel a bit bad for laughing as hard as I did at this...

(Also yeah, clothespins have so many uses, it's wonderful)
yES to the "still imagining everyone looking like their avatars" thing, I've seen actual pics of Laufey and YET you will always be Captain Ása in my mind. (and SectoBoss, well, I hope you enjoy being pictured as a sentient submarine)

clothespins are magic and yet the most i do with them is arrange them in rainbow order and then get annoyed when people break them apart to pin clothes in place. how dare you ruin my art

i just had a two/three hour long nap and I'm still incredibly sluggish and disoriented. I'm so glad I don't have work tomorrow aha ha
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7094 on: June 19, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
yES to the "still imagining everyone looking like their avatars" thing, I've seen actual pics of Laufey and YET you will always be Captain Ása in my mind. (and SectoBoss, well, I hope you enjoy being pictured as a sentient submarine)

Yup. This 100%. Haiz, you are a sweaterLalli in my head.