Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409911 times)

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6930 on: June 15, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »
This sounds wonderful! And I may actually be able to do this. I'll be in Ottawa during the school year, but I have family in London and Toronto, and it's only a few hours from there to Windsor.
2-3 from Toronto--and that's without traffic.
If we actually do manage to do this, it could be a lot of fun actually :)
I'm always up for good food and good company--the only reason I don't have both more often is because I have yet to find a job and most of my friends live out of town and I can't drive Dx
To be fair, I tend to feel more comfortable using the bus and walking than I do getting behind the wheel myself xP
Toss me a Pm whenever you think you might roll into town and we can totally hang ;D

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #6931 on: June 15, 2015, 04:09:22 PM »
Long story short I'm very rude always.
I take it that you don't get to talk to guests much, then. ::)

(The cow-orkers around me do some amount of on-phone IT support and today, one of them had a woman call who verbatim told him "shut up, I've studied CS for ten years, so you listen to me". She then proceeded to e-mail him a file he requested for analysis ... only that what she sent was a link to the file on her Windows desktop ...)

Para_Chute, Para_Sect, Para_Noid, etc etc.
(I've yet to find a suffix that works with Eich, though)
Serious? Eich-hörnchen (German for "squirrel"), of course!
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6932 on: June 15, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
I take it that you don't get to talk to guests much, then. ::)
I am a mere cogwheel in the hotel machinery, I work Behind The Scenes...... we hear about the Guests, we talk about the Guests, all we do is for the Guests... yet we never see them. maybe it is all a myth, spun by late capitalism, to keep us there, working, ever working........ but if they are a myth, who would leave flowers in the bathroom? who would summon oceans? I, for one, want to Believe. I want to Believe that what I do is not for Naught. I want to matter.

kidding, I pointed some guests in the direction of their rooms today.

AND maybe I get to be a receptionist when I re-blonde my hair again!
you'll know where to find me.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #6933 on: June 15, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »
Serious? Eich-hörnchen (German for "squirrel"), of course!

Eich-enlaub, Eich-stätt, Eich_elhäher, Eich-enprozessionsspinner, Eich-endorff...
But Eich-hörnchen is obviously the best, congrats, JoB!  ;D
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6934 on: June 15, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »
I am a mere cogwheel in the hotel machinery, I work Behind The Scenes...... we hear about the Guests, we talk about the Guests, all we do is for the Guests... yet we never see them. maybe it is all a myth, spun by late capitalism, to keep us there, working, ever working........ but if they are a myth, who would leave flowers in the bathroom? who would summon oceans? I, for one, want to Believe. I want to Believe that what I do is not for Naught. I want to matter.

I think Prague is giving you the Kafka syndrome.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #6935 on: June 15, 2015, 04:26:19 PM »

If you write a book about how someone goes to work at a mysterious hotel where the guests are never seen, except for the things they leave behind, I would read it. I would read it ALL.

(bonus points if they find out the guests are not human)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6936 on: June 15, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
i keep hearing this kafka name everywhere and i don't even know who that is. some kinda writer?

If you write a book about how someone goes to work at a mysterious hotel where the guests are never seen, except for the things they leave behind, I would read it. I would read it ALL.

that would be hecka awesome actually

some friends of mine made me watch a hotel-themed horror movie, 1408 i think? i don't handle horror movies very well and this was no exception
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6937 on: June 15, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
i keep hearing this kafka name everywhere and i don't even know who that is. some kinda writer?

Kafka is a famous German writer, he wrote a lot of existentialist type books and is pretty famous for The Metamorphosis which is about a guy who turns into a cockroach. Basically he kind of questions life and the meaning of it and stuff.
More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #6938 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
Yes, from Prague, but never read. I'll try some day... so many books to discover...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6939 on: June 15, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »

I wanted to write you 'Just don't turn into a giant insect, please', but if you don't know his works...

Anyway, don't turn into a giant insect!  :D
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #6940 on: June 15, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »

Kafka is a famous German writer, he wrote a lot of existentialist type books and is pretty famous for The Metamorphosis which is about a guy who turns into a cockroach. Basically he kind of questions life and the meaning of it and stuff.
More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka

His works are definitely worth reading!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #6941 on: June 15, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
But Eich-hörnchen is obviously the best, congrats, JoB!  ;D
I admit I was pondering Eich-amt, Eich-strich, Eich-siegel first before "how can I make 'Oachkatzerlschwoaf' fit in there!?" nudged me in the proper direction ... ;)

Hmmmm wasn't there a webcomic about a hotel where the guests are actually time travelers? Not downright invisible, but vanishing and reappearing in unexpected ways ...

Kafka is a famous German writer, he wrote a lot of existentialist type books and is pretty famous for The Metamorphosis which is about a guy who turns into a cockroach.
Case in point ... :
http://www.skindeepcomic.com/archive/bugbear-talisman-8-alec-loves-doing-this/
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6942 on: June 15, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
...my only experience with Kafka is what little there is in Resident Evil Revelations

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6943 on: June 15, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
...my only experience with Kafka is what little there is in Resident Evil Revelations
Here's the only short story of his I've ever studied:
An Imperial Message
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #6944 on: June 15, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »

some friends of mine made me watch a hotel-themed horror movie, 1408 i think? i don't handle horror movies very well and this was no exception

I wasn't thinking about horror... Maybe fantasy with a touch of suspense?

Hmmmm wasn't there a webcomic about a hotel where the guests are actually time travelers? Not downright invisible, but vanishing and reappearing in unexpected ways ...

OHH, I would love to read this!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."