Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387219 times)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #480 on: October 14, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
I'll never understand what that title is supposed to refer to.
If I remember correctly, something about cheap pine furniture.

"Look at these deadly, deadly animals and plants and rocks and air!"  It's a bit silly, really, and they always forget the cute mammals.
Those cute mammals that are also quite a bit scary if agitated... I do have a massive soft spot for wombats myself (I mean, they poop cubes), and I'd like to pat one someday.

Can anyone identify this bug? I don't know what it is :/ but it's weird. (It's about 4-5mm long with crazy legs)
And thus I've spent about 15 minutes staring at pages full of freaky bug images. I don't recommend this. (Couldn't find anything that looked like it.)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #481 on: October 14, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Oh, well that's not as bad!  ;D
Spiders... cute?  What?  Snakes I would understand, but spiders?  Most of the bugs in the world freak me out, regardless of whether I know what they are or not.  Like, immediate shivers down my back just passing near one. 

That's kind of the idea that the Discovery channel would lead me to believe.  Anytime Australia's mentioned on American tv, it's always, "Look at these deadly, deadly animals and plants and rocks and air!"  It's a bit silly, really, and they always forget the cute mammals.

Non-poisonous snakes are cute :3 but not the local ones, they're all pretty nasty if you get bit :/ plus they just look evil. So not cute. Except maybe the white lipped snake :P
http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com.au/tas.html
And then there's these:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant
And these (tasty! ;P):
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_(fish)
And as for air, it's ok :P

:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #482 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »
Non-poisonous snakes are cute :3 but not the local ones, they're all pretty nasty if you get bit :/ plus they just look evil. So not cute. Except maybe the white lipped snake :P
http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com.au/tas.html
And then there's these:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant
And these (tasty! ;P):
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_(fish)
And as for air, it's ok :P
Yeah, snakes aren't bad.  My mom freaks out at them, though.  She made me shoot a little rat snake in a rain storm once cause she was afraid it would get into the basement and maybe have little baby snakes down there.
Mmm, fish. 

Good to know your air is breathable *Buzz Lightyear memories* , apart from the smokers' territory, but that can't really be helped I guess.   :-\
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #483 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »
Yeah, snakes aren't bad.  My mom freaks out at them, though.  She made me shoot a little rat snake in a rain storm once cause she was afraid it would get into the basement and maybe have little baby snakes down there.
Mmm, fish. 

Good to know your air is breathable *Buzz Lightyear memories* , apart from the smokers' territory, but that can't really be helped I guess.   :-\

A rat snake? O_o sounds.....furry :P
Ahaha when I read the bit about shooting I was like "what? Eich can shoot? He has a license?! What?!" And then I remembered: "America, aaaaah." ;P
Then again, I would've had a similar reaction if you'd mentioned paintball (it's banned here :/)

Once there was a tiger snake in our garden that I found when I was hanging out the washing, and my dad and our (at the time) French farmhand came speeding over to get rid of it, it disintegrated (splattered into tiny invisible pieces) and the French guy was like "can I have a go?!" And I said "uhhhh not really?" At the same time my dad said "sure kid!" And he nearly shot the neighbors because he didn't think it had that far a range O__O to which we replied "what did you think the telescopic stuff is FOR?" D8 so y'know, if you miss, you REALLY miss, because it just keeps going hahehaghhhh good thing we're in a valley O__O my gosh.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #484 on: October 15, 2014, 12:24:21 AM »
A rat snake? O_o sounds.....furry :P
Ahaha when I read the bit about shooting I was like "what? Eich can shoot? He has a license?! What?!" And then I remembered: "America, aaaaah." ;P
Then again, I would've had a similar reaction if you'd mentioned paintball (it's banned here :/)

Once there was a tiger snake in our garden that I found when I was hanging out the washing, and my dad and our (at the time) French farmhand came speeding over to get rid of it, it disintegrated (splattered into tiny invisible pieces) and the French guy was like "can I have a go?!" And I said "uhhhh not really?" At the same time my dad said "sure kid!" And he nearly shot the neighbors because he didn't think it had that far a range O__O to which we replied "what did you think the telescopic stuff is FOR?" D8 so y'know, if you miss, you REALLY miss, because it just keeps going hahehaghhhh good thing we're in a valley O__O my gosh.
Oh, yeah, they just eat the rats, haha, and it wasn't a proper hand cannon, just a .22 rifle.  And I know almost nothing about guns.  :P  Never had any shooting accidents before.  I've only been shooting once, when my dad was teaching me how to handle firearms.  My buddy at work is about to get his concealed carry license, and he's an officer in our school's gun club.  He's got freaking AK-47s and M9s in his apartment.  O_o  Still, he's one of the most responsible and level headed people I know, so if anyone's going to have a gun fetish, I'm glad it's him.  Also, my mom packs heat.  It's kind of weird, but she's a crack shot; she Robin Hoods her targets a lot.  Not sure how I feel about that.  It's kind of awesome that she can be so badass, but kind of freaky because her personality is sooo not badass.

All that said, I'd love to learn how to shoot at range.  It seems like it would be fun to be able to go out and lie down for a while to take a few shots at a far off target.  Might even be relaxing.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #485 on: October 15, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »
(Also, I noticed the forum-time, which I'm guessing is Eich-time, and you should probably be asleep Eich! You don't want sleep deprivation! >:0 *bossy mum voice*)
Anywho, my phone is about to run out of juice, and so is my portable free data, so I'll sign off here instead of the goodnight thread to save both :P

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #486 on: October 15, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
Oh, yeah, they just eat the rats, haha, and it wasn't a proper hand cannon, just a .22 rifle.  And I know almost nothing about guns.  :P  Never had any shooting accidents before.  I've only been shooting once, when my dad was teaching me how to handle firearms.  My buddy at work is about to get his concealed carry license, and he's an officer in our school's gun club.  He's got freaking AK-47s and M9s in his apartment.  O_o  Still, he's one of the most responsible and level headed people I know, so if anyone's going to have a gun fetish, I'm glad it's him.  Also, my mom packs heat.  It's kind of weird, but she's a crack shot; she Robin Hoods her targets a lot.  Not sure how I feel about that.  It's kind of awesome that she can be so badass, but kind of freaky because her personality is sooo not badass.

All that said, I'd love to learn how to shoot at range.  It seems like it would be fun to be able to go out and lie down for a while to take a few shots at a far off target.  Might even be relaxing.

I find that shooting long-distance photographs of eagles etc is pretty relaxing too :P and nothing dies! Haha

EDIT: I found a phone charger! So...not logging off just yet haha *insane laugh*
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:37:44 AM by OrigamiOwl »

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #487 on: October 15, 2014, 12:34:48 AM »
Um, teeth dreams?! I've never heard of such a thing! All of my nightmares involve being late to school and driving.

All your snakes sound so interesting, all we have are garter snakes. Though my sister did find some kind of lizard/amphibian thing last month. (I know they're not the same thing, I just didn't get a good look at it.) Sometimes I wish we had something even remotely dangerous around here just so I could brag about it. Recluse spiders don't count because they're rather reclusive... And coyotes are really only a problem if you're a rabbit.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #488 on: October 15, 2014, 12:50:57 AM »
Um, teeth dreams?! I've never heard of such a thing! All of my nightmares involve being late to school and driving.

All your snakes sound so interesting, all we have are garter snakes. Though my sister did find some kind of lizard/amphibian thing last month. (I know they're not the same thing, I just didn't get a good look at it.) Sometimes I wish we had something even remotely dangerous around here just so I could brag about it. Recluse spiders don't count because they're rather reclusive... And coyotes are really only a problem if you're a rabbit.

I get driving dreams a lot too, and so do my sisters- the same dream! Agh!

Coyotes sound awesome! And mysterious! And fluffy...!
Maybe the lizard amphibian was a salamander? But if you've got coyotes then I'm guessing you're in a deserty place? So no...salamanders? :(
Too bad you don't get these little guys:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #489 on: October 15, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
I get driving dreams a lot too, and so do my sisters- the same dream! Agh!

Coyotes sound awesome! And mysterious! And fluffy...!
Maybe the lizard amphibian was a salamander? But if you've got coyotes then I'm guessing you're in a deserty place? So no...salamanders? :(
Too bad you don't get these little guys:

Nope, no deserts. Live too north - and west - for that. Those guys are making me jealous.

It could be a salamander. It was about 3-5 inches long and dark colored.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #490 on: October 15, 2014, 04:32:41 AM »
I like how prejudices are the same all around the world :D Australian animals are always dangerous and Americans shooting seem to be so totally normal nobody wonders about it ;). We have Salamanders around though here they are threatened to die out because the swamps in the woods they are mostly living in are seldom safe of woodchopping works.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #491 on: October 15, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »

My dad has a few airguns, and I rather like to shoot with them. I'm actually a pretty good shot.

Oh, and spiders. Spiiiderrs. I have a spider. Her name is Kiwi, she's super cute.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #492 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
Teeth dreams means dreams about teeth falling out.  It's a pretty common one, but it's always unpleasant.

Oh, haha, well. How was I supposed to know though, the only recurring dream I'm familiar with is the old "forgot my pants again dangit".

I'm actually a pretty good shot.

OOooOOh =P

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #493 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
OOooOOh =P

:) The family was at the amusement park in Copenhagen once, and there was a shooting game. It was basically "20 targets show up and you have to hit them all". Both me and my dad aced it first try and didn't really find it difficult, but I never saw anyone else manage it. Might be 'cause we have the airguns at home, but it's not like I shoot regularely or anything. I think I'm allowed to me a little bit proud of that.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #494 on: October 15, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
I think I'm allowed to me a little bit proud of that.

Yep, you are. :)

I've been skeet shooting exactly once, but I still managed to hit about 60% of the target-things. Then I got to shoot a milk jug with a machine gun. That was fun.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89