Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387262 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6420 on: June 06, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »
Wait...Spaniards? Really? Was there like a special reason for this banning? O vo;;

Oh yes... story time!

In 1615 two Spanish whaling ships came over and, reaching a deal with the locals, stayed to catch whales. Both ships sunk in a horrible storm and about 80 men survived: 50 went to the south of the country but 30 stayed in the Westfjords. This group further split in two.

One half came across a house they thought to be abandoned and took all dry fish there was inside. Alas, the house was not abandoned at all and this was already autumn, the owner became quite angry for losing his winter food storage. He banded together with some locals and attacked the Spanish group, killing them all.

Next the local authorities passed the law that killing a Spanish person was not illegal. They then went and found the other half of the group and killed them too, almost to the last person (I think two men survived). The attacks were criticized but alas, by then it was too late and afterwards the law just held on, first probably because there's a certain lack of Spanish people in the Westfjords in general and eventually it was probably forgotten, until this year when it at last was overthrown. Very quietly.

Btw the reason why Iceland's total prohibition failed early was because Spain threatened to stop buying Icelandic goods if Spanish wines weren't sold in Iceland, so Iceland quickly added a "except for Spanish wines" to the no-alcohol -rule. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6421 on: June 06, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
wow xD Thanks, Laufey! I love learning about this stuff. History is neat. And often ridiculous. Its awesome.

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6422 on: June 06, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
So I've been letting my 12 and 11 year old sister read "A Redtail's Dream" and recently my 12 year old sister came up to me and said "Hannu really reminds me of you."
Me: "... okay?"
11 year old sister: "Yeah, he really does."
12yos: "No, he's like exactly like you."
Me: "...um..."
12yos: "Like he says the exact same things you do. It's like hes quoting you."
11yos: "It's really weird, but he does."
Me: "..."

So apparently Hannu and I are as one.
I'm not quite sure how to feel about this.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #6423 on: June 06, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
An hour until concert-time! This will be fun! (Unless I die of the heat, which remains a possibility.)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #6424 on: June 06, 2015, 05:46:16 PM »
So I've been letting my 12 and 11 year old sister read "A Redtail's Dream" and recently my 12 year old sister came up to me and said "Hannu really reminds me of you."
Me: "... okay?"
11 year old sister: "Yeah, he really does."
12yos: "No, he's like exactly like you."
Me: "...um..."
12yos: "Like he says the exact same things you do. It's like hes quoting you."
11yos: "It's really weird, but he does."
Me: "..."

So apparently Hannu and I are as one.
I'm not quite sure how to feel about this.
Mmmh. It depends. Hannu at which moment ? ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6425 on: June 06, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
This is really random, but does anyone know Faroese?
I am currently listening to a song in Faroese, and it's quite an interesting experience because I keep thinking I know what he's singing but then he sings something else and I have no idea what he's singing. It kinda sounds like Icelandic with a strange accent and English Rs. Now I want to have a conversation with a speaker of Faroese just to see if I could hold one.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6426 on: June 06, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
This is really random, but does anyone know Faroese?
I am currently listening to a song in Faroese, and it's quite an interesting experience because I keep thinking I know what he's singing but then he sings something else and I have no idea what he's singing. It kinda sounds like Icelandic with a strange accent and English Rs. Now I want to have a conversation with a speaker of Faroese just to see if I could hold one.
I remember seeing it in a forum signature somewhere, but I don't remember who it was.
(sorry)

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6427 on: June 06, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
Absolutely unrelated to everything, but gaaah this is how I first found SSSS:

(wow look at how good my pencil lines are)

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6428 on: June 06, 2015, 08:07:37 PM »
Absolutely unrelated to everything, but gaaah this is how I first found SSSS:

(wow look at how good my pencil lines are)

What comic was that from? I actually didn't read webcomics until this. My sister is really into all sorts of webcomics (she's a passionate cosplaying homestuck), but I hadn't really explored any of them. I got into this because my friend from Denmark (who has been following Minna's comics since she was working on aRTD) sent me a link. I actually kinda dismissed it, and then went back a few days later and just figured I would click thru some things to see what it was all about, and then I got stuck and the rest is history (happy happy history).
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6429 on: June 06, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
What comic was that from?
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, or SMBC. A lot of comics take part in that sidebar/sharing thing, but I just happened to see SSSS's picture while reading SMBC a few months ago, and the rest is.. Well, obvious.
I actually read quite a few comics (xkcd, Awkward Zombie, Romantically Apocalyptic, Spacetrawler et al), but I never quite got so.. Into a comic as I did SSSS/aRTD.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6430 on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, or SMBC. A lot of comics take part in that sidebar/sharing thing, but I just happened to see SSSS's picture while reading SMBC a few months ago, and the rest is.. Well, obvious.
I actually read quite a few comics (xkcd, Awkward Zombie, Romantically Apocalyptic, Spacetrawler et al), but I never quite got so.. Into a comic as I did SSSS/aRTD.

Oh, I've read some xkcd, they're very funny. :) I have a friend who is very into them (I got her into SSSS). I've never gone thru and read them all though. And now I also read Scandinavia and the World (as you can see from my avatar :P). I started that at about the same time as SSSS, but it's not a story like SSSS.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #6431 on: June 06, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
What comic was that from? I actually didn't read webcomics until this. My sister is really into all sorts of webcomics (she's a passionate cosplaying homestuck), but I hadn't really explored any of them. I got into this because my friend from Denmark (who has been following Minna's comics since she was working on aRTD) sent me a link. I actually kinda dismissed it, and then went back a few days later and just figured I would click thru some things to see what it was all about, and then I got stuck and the rest is history (happy happy history).

I HEARD COSPLAY
In all seriousness though, I found it in a very similar way? I think I was clicking through links on like, paranatural or something.

Also, I cosplay homestuck as well, so double-summoned
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6432 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »

Also, I cosplay homestuck as well, so double-summoned

You should get together with my little sister if I ever succeed in dragging her onto the forum. She reads SSSS, but has yet to get involved here. I think you're about the same age too.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #6433 on: June 06, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »
You should get together with my little sister if I ever succeed in dragging her onto the forum. She reads SSSS, but has yet to get involved here. I think you're about the same age too.

Ahaha, yeah, I'm not all that into homestuck anymore, but I still really love cosplaying roxy lalonde because apparently we are the same person? In any case I get to wear three pairs of false eyelashes and nobody can call me out on it 8)
YEET

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6434 on: June 06, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
Oh, I've read some xkcd, they're very funny. :) I have a friend who is very into them (I got her into SSSS). I've never gone thru and read them all though. And now I also read Scandinavia and the World (as you can see from my avatar :P). I started that at about the same time as SSSS, but it's not a story like SSSS.

XKCD yes!!! I love geeky stuff like that (and there's a new book coming out which I'm very excited for). Now if only there were a way to cosplay stick figures...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!