Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387299 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6360 on: June 05, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Eat the candy. It's precious.

I wasn't there when they opened it :c I only heard it from Inspection Lady
you'll know where to find me.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #6361 on: June 05, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »
Haiz stars in "The Great Candy Heist"

Coming this summer

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6362 on: June 05, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »
Haiz stars in "The Great Candy Heist"

Coming this summer
when Haiz realized the equivalent of 25 norwegian kroner per hour wasn't good enough... The candy in the safe was no longer safe

also yo congrats on your safe-zone citizenship
you'll know where to find me.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #6363 on: June 05, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
also yo congrats on your safe-zone citizenship

Oh dang, didn't notice!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6364 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Oh dang, didn't notice!
And Sunflower only just put the message out too.
Well, congrats from us!

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6365 on: June 05, 2015, 11:03:37 AM »
Fun fact that I learned when I lived in America for a while: Kinder Eggs are illegal to sell in the USA. Those were my childhood! What were you thinking? :o

Yeah, we're not too proud of that fact. (My dad would bring a ton of Kinder Eggs home whenever he went to Germany, though, so it's not like I've been too horribly deprived.)
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6366 on: June 05, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Yeah, we're not too proud of that fact. (My dad would bring a ton of Kinder Eggs home whenever he went to Germany, though, so it's not like I've been too horribly deprived.)

We used to smuggle them from canada all the time. Do you know why they're illegal?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #6367 on: June 05, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
We used to smuggle them from canada all the time. Do you know why they're illegal?
Having plastic inside the food makes it a 'choking hazard.'

I've heard that if we got it legally reclassified as a toy then we could sell it, but I don't know if that's true or not.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6368 on: June 05, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
Having plastic inside the food makes it a 'choking hazard.'
And yet as far as I know no Canadian kids have choked, yet some American kids did. This has always been a point of confusion for me.

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #6369 on: June 05, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
And yet as far as I know no Canadian kids have choked, yet some American kids did. This has always been a point of confusion for me.
I haven't heard of any American kids choking. Three UK kids apparently did though, according to Wikipedia.
Basically the way our legal system works is that you have to define in legalese what constitutes a "choking hazard" and what doesn't (inedible substance of certain size in food), and then decide what to do with all "choking hazards" (don't sell them.)
Since the American legislative procedure was set up with the intent of making it difficult to pass laws, we try to aim for blanket bills and regulations that will solve any major problems, using definitions to aim for the target areas. For example, in Texas home-schooling is classified as a Private School, which means that home-schoolers get all of the necessary protection from the laws they do need without the State having to wrestle through 30 billion separate bills. Similarly, we're not going to try to wrestle through different bills for things like Kinder Eggs, just because they're funky exceptions to the rule.
It's a "for all intents and purposes" mindset, which can (and does) lead to bugs in the system (like no kinder eggs) but works reasonably well, for the most part.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:13:43 PM by RandomTexanReader »
John Steinbeck

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6370 on: June 05, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
I haven't heard of any American kids choking. Three UK kids apparently did though, according to Wikipedia.
Basically the way our legal system works is that you have to define in legalese what constitutes a "choking hazard" and what doesn't (inedible substance of certain size in food), and then decide what to do with all "choking hazards" (don't sell them.)
Since the American legislative procedure was set up with the intent of making it difficult to pass laws, we try to aim for blanket bills and regulations that will solve any major problems, using definitions to aim for the target areas. For example, in Texas home-schooling is classified as a Private School, which means that home-schoolers get all of the necessary protection from the laws they do need without the State having to wrestle through 30 billion separate bills. Similarly, we're not going to try to wrestle through different bills for things like Kinder Eggs, just because they're funky exceptions to the rule.
It's a "for all intents and purposes" mindset, which can (and does) lead to bugs in the system (like no kinder eggs) but works reasonably well, for the most part.
So basically governments are complicated and weird and I shouldn't try too hard to understand them because it'll make my brain hurt? (Other than what all I need to know in order to vote I mean--I usually go nuts around election time, trying to make sure I've wrapped my head around certain things)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
« Reply #6371 on: June 05, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »
So basically governments are complicated and weird and I shouldn't try too hard to understand them because it'll make my brain hurt? (Other than what all I need to know in order to vote I mean--I usually go nuts around election time, trying to make sure I've wrapped my head around certain things)
Basically! :p
For real though, it's a whole different universe. If you're used to it and know the jargon and code and everything then you have a better idea what's going on, but it's still crazy.
John Steinbeck

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #6372 on: June 05, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
... which is not to say that the restriction to inedible foreign substances could not get stricken from the legalese later on, given enough lobbying ...

http://life.familyeducation.com/slideshow/safety/65468.html
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6373 on: June 05, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
... which is not to say that the restriction to inedible foreign substances could not get stricken from the legalese later on, given enough lobbying ...

http://life.familyeducation.com/slideshow/safety/65468.html

This just in! The American government has banned the sale of ALL food because it is a choking hazard. Since the new law was passed, choking related death rates have plummeted. ;P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #6374 on: June 05, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »
I wonder how many french fries one has to eat so said person has to go to the ER.

Like how, how can you do dis?