Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410167 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
My Dutch friends disagree. Apparently it's a very difficult language to get to grips with. It's basically the drunken end result of Welsh and German having a one night stand.

My experience is that native speakers of a given language are rarely able to accuteraly establish the difficulty of it (see: English speakers who think of English as one of the hardest languages to learn vs those who think of it as very easy and simple), let alone its difficulty in relation to the language of the learner.

Dutch will be much more difficult for a native speaker of Turkish than one of English; inversely, a native speaker of Turkish would find Uzbek a rather easy language to learn, whereas an English speaker would find it quite difficult.

Personally, everything I've seen of Dutch screams "German with much less morphology" :p
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
I keep falling asleep in the middle of playing Pokemon Y. This is like the third time today, and it's the kind of sleep where I'm like, "Well, okay, maybe if I just lay on my side for second..." and pass out.  I must've needed sleep a little more than I thought.

On the all-too-serious subject of sausages, yes, only proper bratwursts and the like are worth eating.  Sadly, my student status prevents me from getting them.  Over here we actually call the not so good kind "hot dogs," and they're actually eaten more often than the good stuff.  Do any other countries do that, or is that another one of the weird American things?

Welcome to scout-hood, Nimphy!

I'm a little bit scared about whatever's in the American hotdogs! All those rumors hehehe! Here there are just....sausages. There the reeeally cheap, over-processed ones, but I haven't actually seen them since.....2005 or something :P so maybe they don't exist anymore? There are always the "cocktail" mini sausages, which are red and pink, and the savaloy which I always associate with Dagwood Dogs at the fair, but other than that all the sausages here are the normal brown ones, for stews and mostly barbequeuing :)

Oh my gosh I just rambled about sausages? O___O haha

On another theme though: I had the weirdest dream last night while you folks were all chatting away in your daytime :P
A whole bunch of Minions were all meeting up at an airport because the rash was about and we were all going to some village, and Minna was in a bunker so she could continue ssss (lol) and Nimphy was a bundle of incredible cuteness with a huge lipgloss collection (?), and ThisCat and Fimbulvarg were super sleek and business savvy and Rollo was all mysterious and then it got weird because Eich had grown a Törbjorn beard- in fact, he WAS Törbjorn, "I'm an uncle now, and Törbjorn's and uncle, so I should look more like him!" And everyone was like "Ummmmm well then...ok" and then we had to make a radio to try contacting Minna and ask if she could end the Rash because for some reason ssss had started to come to life and and and IT WAS JUST REALLY BIZARRE?!
So my lesson to learn was: expect weird dreams about the last thing you read when sleep deprived...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Well, I haven't shaved in few days...
I can't grow a very full beard, though, but I could probably pull off a goatee if I maintained it.

Awesome dream, though!
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
Well, I haven't shaved in few days...
I can't grow a very full beard, though, but I could probably pull off a goatee if I maintained it.

Awesome dream, though!

Ahahaha it was like you had a Törbjorn mask on, kinda freaky O__O

Hehe, you'd probably look like a hippie-scientist-youth with a goatee X'S (I saw a lot of failed facial hair attempts on male classmembers in college and it was just...not very good :P [there was one guy who kept a comb and that was just creepy])

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
Yes. I'm sleek and business savvy. That's... me. Definitely. You got it.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
Yes. I'm sleek and business savvy. That's... me. Definitely. You got it.

Hehehehehe *suspicious laugh* of course I did ;P

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #381 on: October 11, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »
Ahahaha it was like you had a Törbjorn mask on, kinda freaky O__O

Hehe, you'd probably look like a hippie-scientist-youth with a goatee X'S (I saw a lot of failed facial hair attempts on male classmembers in college and it was just...not very good :P [there was one guy who kept a comb and that was just creepy])
Ehhhhh, that's a little creepy.
I'm not a mask-man!  D:

I wish I could pull off the hippie scientist look. One of my friends at work has hair like Robert plant, and it looks so cool...  But yeah, the guys who take pride in the beards they can't pull off... Eh.  The difference is that I know I can't pull it off.  And, yes, the comb dudes are creepy...
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #382 on: October 11, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
On another theme though: I had the weirdest dream last night while you folks were all chatting away in your daytime
A whole bunch of Minions were all meeting up at an airport because the rash was about and we were all going to some village, and Minna was in a bunker so she could continue ssss (lol) and Nimphy was a bundle of incredible cuteness with a huge lipgloss collection (?), and ThisCat and Fimbulvarg were super sleek and business savvy and Rollo was all mysterious and then it got weird because Eich had grown a Törbjorn beard- in fact, he WAS Törbjorn, "I'm an uncle now, and Törbjorn's and uncle, so I should look more like him!" And everyone was like "Ummmmm well then...ok" and then we had to make a radio to try contacting Minna and ask if she could end the Rash because for some reason ssss had started to come to life and and and IT WAS JUST REALLY BIZARRE?!
So my lesson to learn was: expect weird dreams about the last thing you read when sleep deprived...

Expect weird dreams about the last thing you read when sleep deprived? Totally true. That dream, however, is quite remarkable.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #383 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:57 PM »
Ehhhhh, that's a little creepy.
I'm not a mask-man!  D:

I wish I could pull off the hippie scientist look. One of my friends at work has hair like Robert plant, and it looks so cool...  But yeah, the guys who take pride in the beards they can't pull off... Eh.  The difference is that I know I can't pull it off.  And, yes, the comb dudes are creepy...
I had to google Mr Plant, omg wouldn't all that hair get in the way? D: unless he tied it up or something. But that's pretty cool XD

Yup they were super creepy, also rude, and huge scaredycats >;P there were some who were the buddies of my friends ex (for reasons to be explained) who kept hanging around at breaks because their buddy said they could get dates (and that's when he became an ex :P) but their plan backfired because apparently we terrified them (sometimes on purpose to make them leave) with girly discussions about games, maths, CAD and what we did on the weekend~
Boys: yeah, I mean that's all women are good fer blah blah blah...
Friend: Soooo, Owl, what did you do on the weekend?
Me: oh, the usual, helped out on the farm. We castrated a bunch of now-steers, you know.
*creepy boys put their lunches back in their bags*
Friend: oh really? You did the actual..doing?
Me: oh no! That's gross! I just held them still.
*three boys leave the room. One collides with the doorframe on the way out*
Friend: finally I thought they'd never leave! Now we can share the jelly babies!

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #384 on: October 11, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
I had to google Mr Plant, omg wouldn't all that hair get in the way? D: unless he tied it up or something. But that's pretty cool XD

Yup they were super creepy, also rude, and huge scaredycats >;P there were some who were the buddies of my friends ex (for reasons to be explained) who kept hanging around at breaks because their buddy said they could get dates (and that's when he became an ex :P) but their plan backfired because apparently we terrified them (sometimes on purpose to make them leave) with girly discussions about games, maths, CAD and what we did on the weekend~
Me: oh, the usual, helped out on the farm. We castrated a bunch of now-steers, you know.
Friend: finally I thought they'd never leave! Now we can share the jelly babies!

Great tactic :) I'd probably just end up talking really enthusiasticly about either dissection or social insects. Either they're freaked out, bored to death or intruiged, in which case they might be worth something.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
Great tactic :) I'd probably just end up talking really enthusiasticly about either dissection or social insects. Either they're freaked out, bored to death or intruiged, in which case they might be worth something.

Hehe but the sad thing is, that WAS what I had been doing on the weekend! ;__;

Heee, I would totally be interested in a conversation about dissection and social insects! X'D
What are social insects? They sound irritating >;P

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #386 on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:23 PM »
Y'all... Y'all are good.  It doesn't surprise me, though.
Personally, I steer conversations away from dissection as soon as it comes up.  I'm not cut out for that.  Seriously, in high school biology, I got my brave underclassman lab partner girl to do the dissecting for me.  All I managed to do was not hide behind the chair on the other end of the room.  Now, philosophy, math, physics, art and musiiiic, on the other hand...  I could talk about those all day long.
If castration comes up in conversation, I give a look of disapproval but carry on, until greater biological detail is given, at which point, see first paragraph.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #387 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:25 AM »
Y'all... Y'all are good.  It doesn't surprise me, though.
Personally, I steer conversations away from dissection as soon as it comes up.  I'm not cut out for that.  Seriously, in high school biology, I got my brave underclassman lab partner girl to do the dissecting for me.  All I managed to do was not hide behind the chair on the other end of the room.  Now, philosophy, math, physics, art and musiiiic, on the other hand...  I could talk about those all day long.
If castration comes up in conversation, I give a look of disapproval but carry on, until greater biological detail is given, at which point, see first paragraph.

Hmmm those sorts of icky things aren't discussed by me very often, only to freak people out if they're being terrible ;P

Dissection didn't bother me in high school, except one time when an eye still had eyelashes..... That made me feel a bit yuck, but only because hairs in things tend to majorly gross me out (too many bad restaurant experiences ;___;) I'm actually pretty nifty with a scalpel, and it was suggested I go into medicine but I totally suck at theory and chemistry stuff :( so I went into the arts instead.

I thought about being a vet, but seeing animals in pain upsets me a bit too much to be professional :/ once we were dissecting a sheep heart at school and a group of ditzy girls were squealing and throwing bits around and prodding it and just being really disrespectful >:( and then lectured me about how as a farm girl (this was at a posh all-girls school in the city, so there was a lot of teasing about being rural and not wearing makeup etcetera plus my friends and I /were/ the science club so that was just asking for trouble haha) I supposedly butchered animals all the time so I was being a hypocrite and I was just so mad I had to walk out of class, and it kind of put me off biology and science as a whole :/

I'm still secretly pretty interested in that field, but I'm too behind in the knowledge department now haha :P

Now, philosophy, math, physics, art and musiiiic, on the other hand...  I could talk about those all day long.

Those are always the BEST topics! :3

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #388 on: October 12, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »

... apparently we terrified them (sometimes on purpose to make them leave) with girly discussions about games, maths, CAD and what we did on the weekend~

Hee!  That's hilarious!  OrigamiOwl, I suspect you have hidden superpowers...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #389 on: October 12, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »
Hee!  That's hilarious!  OrigamiOwl, I suspect you have hidden superpowers...

Oh yes, force fields, invisibility and doom-glares ;)
also cutesy smiles that unlock doors and extend deadlines... Hehehe I promise to use them for good, not evil!