Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409270 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5790 on: May 28, 2015, 11:24:55 AM »
You need to what ? *I-don't-understand's smile*
*liberate
The ø is right next to l on my touchscreen.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #5791 on: May 28, 2015, 11:25:15 AM »
Don't mean to change the subject...but I kinda wanted to share something that happened the other day--
So my mom and I were in the States for a friend's birthday, only to find that the state police were blocking off a bunch of the entrances to the freeway near the Detroit-Windsor tunnel.

Apparently this happened just a few hours before we crossed over--

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/windsor/tanker-truck-explodes-on-michigan-highway-near-detroit-1.2990461

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5792 on: May 28, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
You need to what ? *I-don't-understand's smile*
ahahahaha the number of times, I, too, have put an Ø in the place of an L....... they're right beside eachother on our keyboards. More impressive is maybe how keep writing Æ's instead of apostrophes

I'm so incredibly sluggish today, both my brain and body and I don't even know why. Maybe it's my replacing several much neeeded REM cycles with inadequate naps yesterday, maybe it's what happens after a week of mental strain, or maybe it's the coughing medicine I swallowed before I went to bed. It's probably a combination. It's just, I have a whole day to spend on drawing, and my body is all "how do you hold a pencil, again?"

and I'm going to hang out with my archery club in a bit, too, it's the last time hanging out at a farm that one of our members is selling. It's really sad, we've had 'barn shooting' there for years and it's at a really peaceful place and sighs. I'm gonna miss it

@Koalalou: O____________O
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:36:20 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5793 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
*liberate
The ø is right next to l on my touchscreen.
I was thinking of something more... more... special, like a ritual or custom ^^ *Too much imagination*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #5794 on: May 28, 2015, 11:53:36 AM »
It is interesting to see that people are concerned by similar political issues all over the planet. Thnx Laufey and Pessi for being that informative.

When I went on strike with fellow students (2009), they had decided to cut 30 Million Euro from Hessen's (federal substate of germany) for each year to come (and have done so since). It hit us in a situation were we had to sit with 140 people in a lecture which once was designed for 40 people at max.

I have not followed what has happened to funds for Unis since then but I know that lecture size has a bit declined since they had employed more teachers (not professors since none applied for their job offers XD). Fun fact is, the long term goal was to make uni more efficient in applying a bachelor-master system, but they did it in a most typical german way. It ended with employees now complaining about finished students since these often are too unexperienced for the tasks companies want them to do.

I can experience the cuts in school system each day though and so does economy. The complaints about pupils and students not being fit enough for the work market are countless. So I wonder when the point will be reached that a decision for at least stopping further cuts will be done. I know north-rhine-westfalia (federal substate where I am currently working) has to cut down cause they are forced to pay their debts.

How do other countries handle education? And where do they invest the money safed from cutting? Or where do they cut money to spend more on education?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5795 on: May 28, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
Chemistry jokes!
If they have a debate, does it just fizzle out and become.... Neutral?

The discourse becomes very salty.

I was thinking of something more... more... special, like a ritual or custom ^^ *Too much imagination*

Too much.... or MOST BEST?

I think you should define "øiberate," Mélusine:D

(And would that imply the existence of something called "øiberté?"...)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:06:17 PM by AmityM »
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5796 on: May 28, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

Now I'm the quizzical one here :P

The discourse becomes very salty.

Acid and base combines becomes salt?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:52:49 PM by Fimbulvarg »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5797 on: May 28, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Acid and base combines becomes salt?
By a chemist's definition of "salt", yes, a solution thereof. The salt needn't be NaCl a.k.a. table salt, though.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

« Reply #5798 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:53 PM »

Is that an exam ? In how many hours ? ^^ *Too occupied by a late mail which begin by "The meeting is in two days now", in the mailbow since two minutes, with for answer in my head "No, tomorrow, it'll be finish WHY SO LATE ?"*
I'm sure it could be funny :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5799 on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
How do other countries handle education? And where do they invest the money safed from cutting? Or where do they cut money to spend more on education?

It is very educational to hear more about what's going on around the world.  Here in California, the state government has been in a condition of essentially permanent financial crisis for the past 15 years, and one casualty has been the University of California system.  Scholars and researchers have been leaving in alarming numbers, and fewer and fewer students can afford to attend classes.  There was never any kind of absolute guarantee of being able to attend, but tuition for California residents used to be very inexpensive.  And of course UC was the domain of some epic developments in the later 20th century in a variety of disciplines.

The California state government budget is about the size of the entire economy of Finland (~US$200bn), so you might well ask, with all that money, what is the problem here?

The obvious answer is that political factions are entrenched in a pretty nasty long term fight over fundamental priorities:  those who don't like large successful public institutions that overshadow private ones, and have placed the state in a condition of budgetary insecurity that allows them to whittle away public investment every time the budget comes up again; versus those who feel the opposite, and want to change the way the state raises money so that the budget is less volatile.

The less obvious answer is that these factions don't exist in a vacuum -- they represent a real divide among the people of California and the kind of society they want to live in (or think they want to live in).  The kinds of choices necessary to stabilize the budget and make it less vulnerable to boom and bust economics are unpopular because they involve shifting the tax base, plus some people like the vulnerability and want to exacerbate it.

But one consequence of this is that the public university system -- one of the foremost education and research institutions in the world, chemical elements named after it, jokes about finding enough parking for all the Nobel laureates -- is now crumbling.  A great institution can weather a year of difficulties, or multiple years, but not unending decades.  The damage becomes permanent and difficult to reverse, and it's hard not to think that Californians have some kind of cultural death wish, and to feel sad about that.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5800 on: May 28, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
Liberåte the chørch

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5801 on: May 28, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
Basic Finns, enemies of the Acidic Finns. What a strange party name.

I guess "basic" doesn't mean in Finland what it means in the U.S. (at least in some circles), or there'd be a lot of very cheap political humor:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Basic
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5802 on: May 28, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
I guess "basic" doesn't mean in Finland what it means in the U.S. (at least in some circles), or there'd be a lot of very cheap political humor:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Basic

Maybe not. The Norwegian name for the party is "Sannfinnene" (The true Finns), which I suppose is closer to the Finnish meaning.

Not sure what they stand for but the name smacks of ethnocentrism.

Mélusine

« Reply #5803 on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »

ølberate (Because I read it like that the first time, it sounded better) : action of purify a place which, for one or an other reason, had lost it soul or been invaded by something harmful. Require old songs, traditional clothes, ritualized ceremonial, and... *Stop. Look far away*
May I keep this ridiculous idea please ? :D I'm sure I can do something with that !

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #5804 on: May 28, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
It is very educational to hear more about what's going on around the world. 
was that intentional or would I do you wrong if I said "bad joke there" XD

But one consequence of this is that the public university system -- one of the foremost education and research institutions in the world, chemical elements named after it, jokes about finding enough parking for all the Nobel laureates -- is now crumbling.  A great institution can weather a year of difficulties, or multiple years, but not unending decades.  The damage becomes permanent and difficult to reverse, and it's hard not to think that Californians have some kind of cultural death wish, and to feel sad about that.

yeah, we combined the costs of going to Uni in chat yesterday. I admit to being spoiled by the opportunities this country here offers.

Another thing I wonder: How do they handle handicaped students all over the world? I am having paper fights at my (regular) school at present for my pupils who are part of forced inclusive education. By "forced" I mean that our government has passed a law to force inclusion but did not prepare all the regular teachers for what to do with the pupils they have now. I guess with a system as described above care for handicaped is handled quiet differently than it is here?

In Uni we learned: Learn from the Italians, the Finns and the Scandinavians, they have the most inclusive systems in the world.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information