Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2570044 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5730 on: May 26, 2015, 10:26:37 PM »
"I’ve reached the conclusion that the building is a museum, a museum about a phenomenon, a museum to a monument. But the museum in itself can also be a phenomenon, not to mention a monument. To sum that up, it is a phenomenal monument to a monumental phenomenon."

Try saying that three times fast ::) (also congratulations, I know the feeling of finishing a paper at almost 4 AM)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:49:34 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5731 on: May 26, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
I definitely channeled my inner Kronk for that. I could probably say it three times fast, too, I mean... the number of times I've said "phenomenological architecture analysis" these past few days are many. I can't believe I managed to procrastinate away like, six days before actually writing this thing, ha... hahaa ha.......

THANK YOU and goodngith
you'll know where to find me.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5732 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:46 AM »
Now sleep, Haiz. Sleep for a thousand years and awaken more powerful than ever.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5733 on: May 27, 2015, 02:17:36 AM »
Now sleep, Haiz. Sleep for a thousand years and awaken more powerful than ever.
*slept thee hours*

'sup

okay wow I regret this life choice I am very very dizzy

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #5734 on: May 27, 2015, 02:46:36 AM »
Great job!  But 3 hours is not enough sleep.  Go back to bed.

"I’ve reached the conclusion that the building is a museum, a museum about a phenomenon, a museum to a monument. But the museum in itself can also be a phenomenon, not to mention a monument. To sum that up, it is a phenomenal monument to a monumental phenomenon."

I'm dying.  Hope your prof appreciates.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5735 on: May 27, 2015, 03:04:19 AM »
Great job!  But 3 hours is not enough sleep.  Go back to bed.
hA, you think one can afford a whole REM cycle in the face of iNEVITABLE PRINTER BETRAYAL??
(actually probably yes)

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5736 on: May 27, 2015, 03:55:06 AM »
Ooh, might get a job at a after-school activity centre! Corssing my fingers for that. I prefer it over working in a store to be honest.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5737 on: May 27, 2015, 03:59:28 AM »
Good luck!

...Imma go to bed now. It's too late at night and I have to get up kinda early.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #5738 on: May 27, 2015, 04:15:27 AM »
hA, you think one can afford a whole REM cycle in the face of iNEVITABLE PRINTER BETRAYAL??
(actually probably yes)

You make a compelling argument.

Still, I hope you aren't planning to drive until you've had a few whole cycles.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #5739 on: May 27, 2015, 04:16:21 AM »
Ooh, might get a job at a after-school activity centre! Corssing my fingers for that. I prefer it over working in a store to be honest.

Best luck!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5740 on: May 27, 2015, 04:25:26 AM »
For some inexplicable reason we have to turn in actual physical copies of the thing? at the university?? before two o clock?? last time we did it over internet this is so scary?? and this means that of course, of COURSE the printer is offline. I don't know how to fix that but if I leave some desperate notes for my family in the morning, and maybe even wake up early myself, I'm too tired to really panic right now.
It's almost completely light outside and the sun didn't even go down,, and why am I even surprised. this happens every year

There's always the university printers, although there might be queues in the exam season. They say the Brits are naturals at queuing, but I've never seen as much printer queue-related drama as I did in the UK.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5741 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:33 AM »
I FINISHED WRITING
I mean it's highly unadvisable to finish writing Very Important Exam Assignments right before 4AM when your judgement isn't exactly in its best shape, but it worked wonders last semester, so hOW hARD CAN IT BE. It's a beautiful trainwreck of an architectural analysis, if I say so myself, and in a desperate attempt to fill the word count I've written things like
......... or explained that things turn white when covered with snow. I'm great at writing academic texts can you tell

For some inexplicable reason we have to turn in actual physical copies of the thing? at the university?? before two o clock?? last time we did it over internet this is so scary?? and this means that of course, of COURSE the printer is offline. I don't know how to fix that but if I leave some desperate notes for my family in the morning, and maybe even wake up early myself, I'm too tired to really panic right now.
It's almost completely light outside and the sun didn't even go down,, and why am I even surprised. this happens every year

WELL DONE HAIZ THAT'S AWESOME. That sentence is even awesomer, if I were your professor I'd read it a few times, write something next to it with my worst handwriting and as tiny letters as I could, add question marks, exclamation marks, an angry face and several extra points. Just so you'd never know what exactly happened. You know maybe it's good I'm not a professor.

There's always the university printers, although there might be queues in the exam season. They say the Brits are naturals at queuing, but I've never seen as much printer queue-related drama as I did in the UK.

*immediate flashbacks to University of Central England*

Oh man, the deadlines-approaching printer chaos... A classmate of mine in Bham was this really calm and usually unshakable girl who seemed really harmless and nice up until someone jammed the printer and her deadline on handing something in was fast approaching. I was so scared I almost had an accident just listening to that and she wasn't even going at me.

Icelanders just huff and whine a bit, go have a coffee and hand things in late (because for some reason the University of Iceland thinks deadlines are more like guidelines, really).

Emil: GOOD LUCK!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5742 on: May 27, 2015, 05:29:07 AM »
Crossing my fingers for you, Emil!!!

Printer situation solved. Between me waking up ridiculously early, my father working in an office and my mother at a school, and indeed, university printers being a solution as well, there was never anything to be worried about. I was in fact the first to turn in my assignment, so smeagol is free now

aaand Ann Marie, I'm not planning on driving before getting a few cycles and a driver's licence first anyway, so noooo worries.

In even more recent news, a sparrow just crashed into my face. I think. It was very soft

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5743 on: May 27, 2015, 05:32:42 AM »
Oh man, the deadlines-approaching printer chaos... A classmate of mine in Bham was this really calm and usually unshakable girl who seemed really harmless and nice up until someone jammed the printer and her deadline on handing something in was fast approaching. I was so scared I almost had an accident just listening to that and she wasn't even going at me.

I've come to the realisation that exam season is like a personal war everyone is fighting. A war where the enemies are the term papers/exams, procrastination and time. So when, at the brink of victory, there's an obstruction which hinders the person from reaping the awards from days and weeks of toil and tears - that's when the primal fury breaks loose.

And then, on the other hand, there's pure defeat and resignation. I remember a guy in the library who had an accident with his computer that wiped out his entire term paper on the day of the deadline. His reaction was to get up and head over the pub. Ever since that day I've been taking so many back-ups when working on important stuff.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5744 on: May 27, 2015, 06:26:18 AM »
I've come to the realisation that exam season is like a personal war everyone is fighting. A war where the enemies are the term papers/exams, procrastination and time. So when, at the brink of victory, there's an obstruction which hinders the person from reaping the awards from days and weeks of toil and tears - that's when the primal fury breaks loose.

And then, on the other hand, there's pure defeat and resignation. I remember a guy in the library who had an accident with his computer that wiped out his entire term paper on the day of the deadline. His reaction was to get up and head over the pub. Ever since that day I've been taking so many back-ups when working on important stuff.

There's also a third type: the not-so-competent but lucky one. The one whose final project has one piece fall apart because of a weak seam but in a way that makes it look like the judge broke it by handling the piece too roughly, thus not getting any points knocked off the final score.

Not going to lie though, the moment was so awful it's wiped off my own memory, I only know this by seeing the broken item afterwards and my friend asking me how I managed to keep such a straight face when it happened (answer: I was probably too busy having a heart attack to move my face).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: