Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387734 times)

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5640 on: May 24, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
*can't cook anything to save his life*

*feels the same pain*
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5641 on: May 24, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
*can't cook anything to save his life*

*high five*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5642 on: May 24, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
The only way to do a realtime categorization of traffic to various perfectly normal ports as "hacking" is to set up a honeypot at an unused IP. Which means that the "hacking" you see occur there is port scanners and script-kiddy-ism.

Yeah, along the lines that I was thinking.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5643 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
I made pancakes! All by myself!

Good for you!  What kind of pancakes? 

And good for you for starting to cook at an early age.  Like any other worthwhile skill, cooking takes practice.    My hyper-efficient mother did not appreciate having a dreamy, clumsy, disorganized teenager cluttering up the family kitchen.  So I didn't even start learning how to feed myself until I had to, in my first post-college apartment.  (I was too broke to eat out.  So it was learn to cook or face a lifetime of cheap frozen dinners, which are both depressing and not great for the figure.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5644 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »
That would entirely depend on the wearer's age and the purpose of the kimono, adult kimono tend to be simpler aside of special ones such as wedding kimono. Besides with kimono formality is relative: a person needing formal dress to work would not be wearing a furisode (the true mountain-of-fabric type kimono, usually only worn by young girls for celebrations). The kind of a kimono you would be wearing instead could be f.ex. a simple iromuji (= one colour) and they're really comfy once you get used to wearing one. :)

You know, all this discussion of kimono reminds me of the Great Lakes Kimono Revolution website, which I was always very fond of (as a pre-teen preoccupied with anime). It always made me want to be able to actually get some kimono and have fun--but alas, where would I wear them?

Kind of like my saris, of which I have several. They are gorgeous, and comfortable, but A. too dressy for anywhere I actually go regularly, and B. ridiculously hard to drape. There's like a bajillion different ways to wrap them, most of the prettiest ones of which involve hand-pleating the fabric and hoping you don't accidentally let the pleats slip out while frantically trying to get the rest of the sari wrapped one-handed so you have somewhere to affix them... siiiiiiiigh.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5645 on: May 24, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
Good for you!  What kind of pancakes? 

And good for you for starting to cook at an early age.  Like any other worthwhile skill, cooking takes practice.    My hyper-efficient mother did not appreciate having a dreamy, clumsy, disorganized teenager cluttering up the family kitchen.  So I didn't even start learning how to feed myself until I had to, in my first post-college apartment.  (I was too broke to eat out.  So it was learn to cook or face a lifetime of cheap frozen dinners, which are both depressing and not great for the figure.)

I looked up how to make pancake mix and took the first result, heh. But they turned out just fine, even though I forgot to add butter.

Pancakes :D
Congrats on the cooking success!  I can't seem to make the batter right, but I can cook it up just fine if someone can supply me with some, haha.  *can't cook anything to save his life*

I was mildy under the impression that everybody learned to cook as soon as they went to college, but yeah. And my mom has a degree in cooking, but she never let's me touch the stove.

In important news, I watched the Road to El Dorado for the first time today. Feel free to burn the heretic.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5646 on: May 24, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »
I was mildy under the impression that everybody learned to cook as soon as they went to college
Some do, while others prefer to let Chef Mike do the cooking.

In important news, I watched the Road to El Dorado for the first time today. Feel free to burn the heretic.

Burn the heretic? I haven't watched that movie myself. Should I invest in some fire insurance scheme?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5647 on: May 24, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »
It always made me want to be able to actually get some kimono and have fun--but alas, where would I wear them?

One option is everywhere. My kimono collection is mostly informal - meaning I have a large amount of komon kimono and yukata, the jeans-and-T-shirt variation of the kimono world. They're more free form than the formal ones, more carefree to wear since they can usually be easily washed, you have more freedom in how they're worn and also more occasions to which wear them. I do have some more formal options (including one super formal) but those are never quite as comfortable to wear, and it frankly scares me to wear them for fear of damaging them. As an example, these are all non-formal kimono and yukata:

(Yes, the brown one is my favourite.)(And I'm afraid of bees, hornets and wasps.)
Due to them being informal there's a lot more freedom in how they're worn and accessorized. To compare, here's my most formal kimono:

No more random shoes, no colourful eri (= collar), no wild obi, accessories or floofy hairstyles. When you're wearing the formal ones you're tied to rules or you'll just look bad. Alas, with the formal wear even a tiny bit of damage = ruined... so it's not exactly relaxing to wear formal kimono.

Just as an extra, here's that puffin obi again:

Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5648 on: May 25, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »
All right. I have three days to do my last corrections on a text. Stop procrastinating, Mélusine, stop procrastinating...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5649 on: May 25, 2015, 04:12:14 AM »
One option is everywhere. My kimono collection is mostly informal - meaning I have a large amount of komon kimono and yukata, the jeans-and-T-shirt variation of the kimono world. They're more free form than the formal ones, more carefree to wear since they can usually be easily washed, you have more freedom in how they're worn and also more occasions to which wear them. I do have some more formal options (including one super formal) but those are never quite as comfortable to wear, and it frankly scares me to wear them for fear of damaging them. As an example, these are all non-formal kimono and yukata:

(Yes, the brown one is my favourite.)(And I'm afraid of bees, hornets and wasps.)
Due to them being informal there's a lot more freedom in how they're worn and accessorized. To compare, here's my most formal kimono:

No more random shoes, no colourful eri (= collar), no wild obi, accessories or floofy hairstyles. When you're wearing the formal ones you're tied to rules or you'll just look bad. Alas, with the formal wear even a tiny bit of damage = ruined... so it's not exactly relaxing to wear formal kimono.

Wuh, that is one big collection of kimonos. How did you get your hands on all of these? Did you order them, go on a kimono-buying spree in Japan or sew them yourself? Presumably they don't sell them in Iceland.

I like the westernized fusion style pictures, the ones with formal hats and frills. They look a bit like a middle-thing between kimonos and Scandinavian folk costumes.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #5650 on: May 25, 2015, 04:32:14 AM »
Wow Laufey, a nice and practical collection! I too have a bunch of yukata and some informal kimono in my cupboard, but I haven't yet gotten myself to actually learn how to wear them. Not that I haven't read a lot of "how-to-wear" things, it's just the actual practising that feels too tiresome. You seem to have absorbed the kimono wearing skill perfectly, you look so "right" in kimono.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5651 on: May 25, 2015, 05:29:13 AM »
Wuh, that is one big collection of kimonos. How did you get your hands on all of these? Did you order them, go on a kimono-buying spree in Japan or sew them yourself? Presumably they don't sell them in Iceland.

I like the westernized fusion style pictures, the ones with formal hats and frills. They look a bit like a middle-thing between kimonos and Scandinavian folk costumes.

A bit embarrassing to admit but this isn't even the whole collection... I've accumulated them slowly over the years. Some, like the brown one I'm so fond of, have been presents. Many are from eBay - Japanese Antiques is so far my favourite store. There's some items that I've bought from Japan while visiting there and even some lucky flea market finds. The green yukata and the pink obi paired with it are selfmade. Every now and then I try to narrow the collection down a bit but somehow it never gets smaller...

The Western fusion is actually really popular at the moment so I can't take originality credit here. :D Movements such as Kimono Jack are encouraging people to wear kimono more, and not only as a formal garment but as normal, everyday wear, and to be creative with the coords. And naturally Kimono Hime is always adding wild ideas to the mix.

Wow Laufey, a nice and practical collection! I too have a bunch of yukata and some informal kimono in my cupboard, but I haven't yet gotten myself to actually learn how to wear them. Not that I haven't read a lot of "how-to-wear" things, it's just the actual practising that feels too tiresome. You seem to have absorbed the kimono wearing skill perfectly, you look so "right" in kimono.

To be fair I've been taught how to, which is a real privilege. Even so learning to wear kimono is just wearing them a lot, and you'll soon find out which ones in your collection are the easy ones to put on... Yukata tend to be the easy type so why not start with those? They're the perfect item for the season as well and because they're as informal as you can get you won't really have to worry about mistakes either.

I'd say go for it! :)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #5652 on: May 25, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »
A bit embarrassing to admit but this isn't even the whole collection... I've accumulated them slowly over the years. Some, like the brown one I'm so fond of, have been presents. Many are from eBay - Japanese Antiques is so far my favourite store. There's some items that I've bought from Japan while visiting there and even some lucky flea market finds. The green yukata and the pink obi paired with it are selfmade. Every now and then I try to narrow the collection down a bit but somehow it never gets smaller...

The Western fusion is actually really popular at the moment so I can't take originality credit here. :D Movements such as Kimono Jack are encouraging people to wear kimono more, and not only as a formal garment but as normal, everyday wear, and to be creative with the coords. And naturally Kimono Hime is always adding wild ideas to the mix.

To be fair I've been taught how to, which is a real privilege. Even so learning to wear kimono is just wearing them a lot, and you'll soon find out which ones in your collection are the easy ones to put on... Yukata tend to be the easy type so why not start with those? They're the perfect item for the season as well and because they're as informal as you can get you won't really have to worry about mistakes either.

I'd say go for it! :)

Oh no, what have you done? I'm meant to be downsizing my wardrobe right now, not adding to it... *stares at magnificent kimono outfits*

...I'll take solace in designing them instead. *really cannot currently add any clothing whatsoever to wardrobe right now, unless it be replacing something old with something new*
Am notified of private messages via email.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #5653 on: May 25, 2015, 07:22:02 AM »
All right. I have three days to do my last corrections on a text. Stop procrastinating, Mélusine, stop procrastinating...

GOGOGO you can do EEEEET.

I should write some e-mails today but I will postpone them til tomorrow. This much time I do have.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #5654 on: May 25, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
Halo everyone! I've really missed you all! What did I miss?
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr