Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410086 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 09, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
Maybe if you leave a trail of chicken nuggets from her house to Stockholm. Indications are she won't be able to resist collecting them.
Didn't she mention a while back, settling in at Mora, that the staple of her diet is fish ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »
Yes, but she also likes a particular brand of chicken nuggets, that the shops just stopped selling. I think she indicated she wouldn't mind McDonalds, if it didn't require human interaction, so there's your game plan.  ;)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2014, 02:26:15 AM »
Tangentially related,

Where I am, older people are always referred to as elder sister/brother, auntie/uncle, grandma/grandpa depending on generation. Even strangers.

So, today was the first time a stranger referred to me as "auntie" when telling her child not to bump into me.  :'(

I'm not that old? Yet?  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2014, 05:18:07 AM »
Tangentially related,

Where I am, older people are always referred to as elder sister/brother, auntie/uncle, grandma/grandpa depending on generation. Even strangers.

So, today was the first time a stranger referred to me as "auntie" when telling her child not to bump into me.  :'(

I'm not that old? Yet?  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Don't worry. For one thing, apparent age is not as important as people make it out to be, and for another, children are usually bad at guessing peoples ages anyways.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »
and for another, children are usually bad at guessing peoples ages anyways.

Just yesterday, my brother seemed surprised that my dad wasn't over 60 yet...not for about two decades! :P

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #335 on: October 10, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »
Didn't she mention a while back, settling in at Mora, that the staple of her diet is fish ... ?

Maybe. Depending on how long ago "a while back" is I've either forgotten this or not had an opportunity to see it mentioned.

Her post-nugget diet is fish-soup and meatballs according to her twitter.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
Maybe. Depending on how long ago "a while back" is I've either forgotten this or not had an opportunity to see it mentioned.
The preparations to have the aRTD book printed (still with delivery planned to Mora) were in Oct/Nov-2013, I don't remember offhand when she actually moved there ...

... so ... somewhere in the comments on the last 60-or-so pages of aRTD? :-\
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »
Well, congratulations and fruit juice all around.

Hmm. I didn't really consider posting an incidents-list because OrigamiOwl's list looked so amazing. But I suppose if I keep it vague enough things might seem more exciting than they actually were...?

So:
- The Swedish "Pirate" incident
- The triggerhappy navy captain incident
- The aperitifs-incident
- The indignant Italian hobo incident
- The apex predator incident
- The basement-cat incident
- The Poseidon Lord of the Arctic incident
- The darwinian saxifrages incident
- Numerous My-dad-needs-to-stop--trying-to-speak-the-local-language-when-we-are-on-vacation incidents

I think my dad might win the most eccentric incident award with his "the day the Italian navy command ship was boarded by pirates" incident though.

I really want to know about the Swedish pirate incident. And the Italian hobo incident. And one of the dad-must-stop incidents. And mostly about the Italian Navy and pirates incident...

Heh, I'm also keeping it vague to make things sound more interesting than they were. There was...
- The Podium incident
- The Pain Ninja incident
- The Computer Lab incident
- The very recent Class Exchange incident
- The Russian Golf Club incident (which didn't happen to me, but was too funny not to include)
- And my favorite... Which I currently forgot.

If I were to tell about other people's incidents, I could tell about the Fall of the Veneziana and the epic Germany in the World Cup incident (that was more of a gaffe from my teacher, but was nonetheless hilarious). My dad also had the Frankfurt Incident, which unfortunately I didn't witness.

Oh, and congrats, Uncle Eich! That's great ^^
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:04:42 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
The preparations to have the aRTD book printed (still with delivery planned to Mora) were in Oct/Nov-2013, I don't remember offhand when she actually moved there ...

... so ... somewhere in the comments on the last 60-or-so pages of aRTD? :-\

I believe Minna was discussing Christmas (2013) plans and said she was looking forward to eating lots and lots of delicious seafood. 

...Maybe Lalli isn't the only one who's part cat (a shy little one who mostly hides under things)...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
While we're on the topic of food, is there any interest in starting a cooking/recipe swap thread?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #340 on: October 10, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
While we're on the topic of food, is there any interest in starting a cooking/recipe swap thread?

Yes, there is, especially since I'm hungry right now....

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #341 on: October 10, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

I've been on the verge of starting one several times this week but I wasn't sure about the interest. I'm not the greatest cook but I sure am interested in food.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #342 on: October 10, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
I've been on the verge of starting one several times this week but I wasn't sure about the interest. I'm not the greatest cook but I sure am interested in food.

I'm not amazing at it, but I love finding  new recipes :) especially Scandinavian ones.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #343 on: October 10, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

If noone else is going to do this I'm starting it now.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #344 on: October 10, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Don't worry. For one thing, apparent age is not as important as people make it out to be, and for another, children are usually bad at guessing peoples ages anyways.

Thanks, ThisCat. :) The funny thing is, I wouldn't have thought I'd be affected, but it does sting a little bit. At least i'm concievably in the right age range to be a generation above most single-digit-age children, so it's not like they're off by two decades...