Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387920 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5520 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:44 AM »
Congrations Haiz!!! can i come to your airport and ride on the baggage carousels. all i want to do in life is ride on the baggage carousels ok
ETERNAL BAGGAGE CAROUSEL PARTY AT MY PLACE

I'll be serving toblerones and pistachios. Not sure what to do with all the champagne and wine I've got here, though, maybe I can trade with some other airport ruler? especially someone whose airport has skittles

It's not what I remember eating when I went there, those were just sausages in regular buns and were so good that they didn't even need condiments.
rohliks are pretty great

I don't know about the rest but I tend to associate gendered pronouns with their biological connotations rather than their social ones.
people were calling me 'she' already before I posted pictures of myself, it was weird
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:36:36 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5521 on: May 21, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
ahahh it's okay, I know it's hard to get used to..... I'm just amazed how people default me to girl all the time?? what am i doing that makes it so
We learn to use just he or she since our childhood, and to be honest I have no idea of what "hir" would be in french... But I imagine how tiresome it is for you to correct that every time. So if I can... "work" in a way you'll not have to repeat so much, I'll do it :) It's nearly a question of respect, for me.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5522 on: May 21, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
So if I can... "work" in a way you'll not have to repeat so much, I'll do it :) It's nearly a question of respect, for me.
I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain? O:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5523 on: May 21, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
Haiz-you are now a very tiny unicorn in a very large airport. Congratulations for finding it so quickly.

Also, I am sick and staying home from school today. Hash browns and ramen noodles breakfast go! (more like bad food decisions go,but whatever)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5524 on: May 21, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
That aside, I'm glad to learn Norway has perfected what is possibly the most lazy hot dog variant in all of Europe.

I'm taking it as a personal insult that this list does not include the Icelandic hot dog. >:(

Congrations Haiz!!! can i come to your airport and ride on the baggage carousels. all i want to do in life is ride on the baggage carousels ok

This has been my dream forever since I was a child.

I don't know about the rest but I tend to associate gendered pronouns with their biological connotations rather than their social ones.

Might also be an issue of language on occasion - when Finnishing I can relax because what are gendered anythings anyway? Meanwhile with Icelandic I can use hún for male police officers (the word "police" is feminine), hann for a female horse (the word "horse" is masculine) and það for a child (það = it; the word "child" is neuter so it's ok although in almost every other occasion using það about people would be massively offensive).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:15:40 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5525 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:53 AM »
ETERNAL BAGGAGE CAROUSEL PARTY AT MY PLACE

I'll be serving toblerones and pistachios. Not sure what to do with all the champagne and wine I've got here, though, maybe I can trade with some other airport ruler? especially someone whose airport has skittles

GREAT I'LL BE THERE AT FIVE

if i get my own airport, it'll definitely have skittles (and lots of trash candy), but i'm not very interested in the liquor hmmm
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5526 on: May 21, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »
I'm taking it as a personal insult that this list does not include the Icelandic hot dog. >:(

What is the Icelandic hot dog, pray tell? Is it fermented in urine?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5527 on: May 21, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
What is the Icelandic hot dog, pray tell? Is it fermented in urine?

I'm thinking you've only met horrible, horrible Icelanders so far...

(The Icelandic hot dogs are a national treasure. :Þ)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #5528 on: May 21, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »

There is no equivalent for what you are asking in French. French is a heavily grammatically gendered language. Every noun and adjective and determinants is gendered - male or female. There is no neuter. You cannot have the ambivalence of a the or they. The closest thing we would have is vous - which is just the polite form of you. Or maybe eux, which is simply them.

So a reflex is that everything is gendered - and some effort has to be deployed to 1) counter that, and then 2) find an equivalent that is outside of our language. I mean, it is easier since we communicate on an english forum, but some habits die hard. Perhaps not unrelated to that, I tend to find that the way some people type betrays or indicates which gender they belong to - patterns of expression, a voice if you will, that suggest to me a gender or another. Not exactly an exact science, as one can be easily be wrong about this.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5529 on: May 21, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
Aaaaaaargh, english... It was so easier in french in my mind...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5530 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »

oh,, that's not what I was asking about - I know a lot of languages are incredibly gendered (YES CZECH, I AM LOOKING AT YOU), I was wondering what she meant with "work in a way so you don't have to repeat so much", in what way exactly

as for the writing pattern thing, it's kind of interesting how often people have mistaken me for a boy in the past because of it? I guess it has changed a lot since then

also don't worry, I'm pretty patient with the pronouns thing, don't be afriad of doing mistakes. I'm just gonna correct you, if that's okay^^" (and if someone has a big problem with using my pronouns, I'm sure we can come to some kinda agreement anyway. or you can keep saying haiz and haiz's forever)

I wanted to be one of those internet personas whose gender is impossible to tell and all ~*shrouded in mystery*~ like some people seem to manage just fine, but ALAS people default me as a girl and thus I have to keep reminding people :/

GREAT I'LL BE THERE AT FIVE

if i get my own airport, it'll definitely have skittles (and lots of trash candy), but i'm not very interested in the liquor hmmm
GOOD. EVERYONE IS INVITED BTW

we could be airport business partners

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:25:48 AM by Haiz »

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5531 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »
or you can keep saying haiz and haiz's forever)

Haiz and the Haiz's!- featuring their #1 Hit 'Very Small, Very Scared"

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5532 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »
Haiz and the Haiz's!- featuring their #1 Hit 'Very Small, Very Scared"
lyrics:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAA
AAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5533 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
GOOD. EVERYONE IS INVITED BTW

we could be airport business partners

lets do it. there'll be a derelict publix close by which means industrial quantities of skittles and then i can just make a killing selling the rest of the liquor 8)

EVERYBODY IS INVITED TO NOSH ON 90-YEAR OLD CHOCOLATE
YEET

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5534 on: May 21, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »
Airports suck! Boo! Boo!