Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387692 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5340 on: May 18, 2015, 07:32:59 AM »
I don't know about this Le Corbuisier, but I once got a piece of glass lodged in my forehead after (accidentally) headbutting a piece of decoration (glass angel). So I can relate to him if he's apprehensive about decorations.

Anyways, congrats with the exam!

"Accidentally"?  I dunno, Fim -- maybe you need to pick your sparring partners a little more carefully.   ;)

Le Corbusier = Modernism in urban planning, i.e. what's wrong with the "built environment" in America today.  (Says the embittered veteran of an awful lot of planning commission meetings where these issues got hashed out on a town-by-town basis.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5341 on: May 18, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
I don't know about this Le Corbuisier, but I once got a piece of glass lodged in my forehead after (accidentally) headbutting a piece of decoration (glass angel). So I can relate to him if he's apprehensive about decorations.

Anyways, congrats with the exam!
ouch
but that's not even architecture

thanks everyone!!! there's still the six-days-to-write-an-essay one but EHHhHHhhH im gonna just ignore that until it's here

another way to view the bechdel test is "please give us more movies with lesbians* in it"

*) that aren't there for the pleasure of male viewers but as actual good fleshed out characters
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5342 on: May 18, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »
ouch
but that's not even architecture

Depends on the size of the glass angel I guess.

Meanwhile architecture in Iceland (or "architecture"):

Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5343 on: May 18, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
o hmy gods
i've seen a lot of whacky architecture but this
this is just so
so
this is amazing

I'm laughing so hard at the window placement in the last one. wonk

edit: that's it. art history has ruined my sense of humor. im laughing at badly placed windows
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:52:09 AM by Haiz »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #5344 on: May 18, 2015, 07:56:32 AM »
Hahaha, I will take that as a good sign.  What I love about fan cultures, no matter how weird or obsessive they sometimes get, is that all the baloney of regressive social attitudes really is so alien.  That's good.  It should be alien.  So many people (me included!) are like, "ack, I'm so poorly socialized, why am I such a freak compared to normal people?" but this is the thing -- you don't want to be well-socialized.  Well-socialized people say those sorts of ridiculous things and don't even notice.

And yes, that was pretty much word for word.  She even thought about it, actually -- which I really, sincerely did appreciate -- and had more to say, along the lines of how writers write what's exciting, and since (1) women love sex and romance and relationships with men, then (2) it's natural or even inevitable to only focus on those things.
(Amity, I can only say you are the most best urban anthropologist, in that you were able to build a rapport and let your classmate feel comfortable opening up to you.... and that you politely kept from snickering until you found a private keyboard and told all of us.)

Point 1, OK.  Not to speak for *all* women etc. etc., and citing only my contributions to, say, the Shipping thread -- sure, those can be very compelling topics.  But as for (2)... I pity your classmate's apparent upbringing, locked in a Barbie Dream House with reruns of "Sex and the City" as her only entertainment.   ;) 

"Like, what would they even talk about"?  Sweetie, if you'd rather not discuss smashing the patriarchy or careers in aerospace engineering, how about... bread-baking?  shoe styles?  your favorite kind of yoga?  What do you think of "helicopter parenting"?  Kay Thompson's awesome performance as the crazed fashion editor in "Funny Face"?  No?  None of that appeals?   ???  *heavy sigh*  Do we have to play "Why Didn't He Call?" uh-gain?

I am ashamed that women are so simple...
(as Shakespeare said in a somewhat different context.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #5345 on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »
Heh I wanted to comment here in a long time but I didn't. I'm so smart. Actually is because I have Nothing to say ;-; (?)

Oh my gosh
I like the second house a Lot
Somehow I can see a castle o.o
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5346 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
Depends on the size of the glass angel I guess.

I like how, in the last image, the top right window just kinda fights the norm and overlaps the trim

It's like the whole "face" of that house just started migrating to the right

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5347 on: May 18, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
I'm laughing so hard at the window placement in the last one. wonk

Oh my gosh
I like the second house a Lot
Somehow I can see a castle o.o

I like how, in the last image, the top right window just kinda fights the norm and overlaps the trim

It's like the whole "face" of that house just started migrating to the right

I just want to know what kind of discussions went on when these decisions were made.

"I guess I was drunk when I drew that. Oh nevermind."
"But I want a tower."
"Uuuuh Guðmundur I think we ran out of wall to put the windows in..." "Naaah it's ok, just cut a notch to the roof it'll be fine."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:29:27 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5348 on: May 18, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
I just want to know what kind of a discussions went on when these decision were made.

"I guess I was drunk when I drew that. Oh nevermind."
"But I want a tower."
"Uuuuh Guðmundur I think we ran out of wall to put the windows in..." "Naaah it's ok, just cut a notch to the roof it'll be fine."

phfhfhh sounds like something I'd make

I think we should all be glad I don't want to become an architect, because I'd- OH WAIT it has already been made. Hundertwasser is my soulmate

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5349 on: May 18, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »
The first time I saw a photo of Iceland, my though was "All right but... where are the trees ?". Today it's "But... windows... why ?" (I won't go in Iceland for forest neither architecture :P)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5350 on: May 18, 2015, 08:18:21 AM »

That ridiculous overhang on the left side of the first one though. It's like Godzilla took a chunk out of the wall.

That aside, is it normal to build houses out of corrugated iron in Iceland? I don't think I've ever seen that in Europe before (it seems to be the material of choice in slums).

The first time I saw a photo of Iceland, my though was "All right but... where are the trees ?"

They ate them. And burned them. They ate and burned them all.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:21:37 AM by Fimbulwaffle »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #5351 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

What I wonder is: Don't all those houses seem slightly off-kilter?  Like their floors aren't on the same parallel with the ground or other houses?  Or in some cases, even parallel with their own doors or windows?

Or is that just a trick of the photographs?

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5352 on: May 18, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »
thanks everyone!!!

Oh and yes, congratulations Haiz!

My wish is that you can retain your knowledge and awareness without it detracting from the pleasure of experience.  Architecture is fun!  Even if Le Corbusier was sort of a dweeb sometimes.

And that you pass the exam.  Passing.  Yes.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5353 on: May 18, 2015, 08:24:21 AM »
What I wonder is: Don't all those houses seem slightly off-kilter?  Like their floors aren't on the same parallel with the ground or other houses?  Or in some cases, even parallel with their own doors or windows?

Or is that just a trick of the photographs?

It seems to me like some of them are on sloping streets.

What amazes me about the windows is how tiny they are.  You can take one look and know right away, these buildings were built in a place that gets cold.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5354 on: May 18, 2015, 08:26:26 AM »
edit: that's it. art history has ruined my sense of humor. im laughing at badly placed windows
No, it's just a different sens of humor ^^ And maybe people might never want to go to a museum with you, but it's an other story.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: