Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409757 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5295 on: May 17, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
Does that happen a lot to you? Cuz it sounds kinda like sleep apnea, in which case getting that diagnosed/treated could potentially make a huge difference in life quality for you. Alternatively, if it's your throat/jaw muscles just clenching and spasming due to stress (which happens a lot to me), there's some stuff you can do--massage your face daily, avoid chewy foods (NO GUM FOR YOU), drink like at least one warm drink a day, and keep your face warm when it's cold by wearing a good scarf.
*searches up* hmMMMMMMM that sounds like a thing that HAS happened to me a few times, but not in this case actually? Because lately it seems like I've had something really tickly stuck in my throat, like phlegm maybe??
I start coughing if I turn my head at a slightly wrong angle, or sometimes when I start to talk ("okay so" *starts coughing* "so" *coughs more* *holds up finger* *coughs for five minutes* "let me explain this very complex art history term" *coughs* "jesus christ why"), and sometimes just when I take a deep breath...... and a lot of times i have to keep myself from gagging and it's just really annoying and gross and idk what I did to deserve this. I have to shove a bunch of mints in my mouth to numb down my throat enough to sleep >://

"drink at least one warm drink a day"
*has drunk like ten cups of tea every day*

maybe it's time to see a doctor or something
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:48:39 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5296 on: May 17, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
so yeah pardon my finals nerves that have been all over the forum for the past weeks, they will hopefully cease soon.

No worries at all!  Good luck!

Of Norwegians and their customs
no one knows less than this poet,
whose ancestral German forebears
were not really even German
(how they got there is confusing).

Nonetheless, all people study,
be they Nordic or Moroccan
or from Chile or Lesotho,
be they Chinese, Sikh, or Jewish,
or some happy combination.

Under silver stars uncaring
do we all burn midnight candles
from both ends down to the middle
in a universal process
that goes back a hundred decades.

Use you flash cards?  Or some wiki?
Or a meditative practice
learned from ancient Sanskrit textbooks
or perhaps from modern teachers
at the yoga place downtown?

All that ever really matters
is that you went in with courage,
like a brave and stalwart hero
facing dragons without coffee
or some other awful concept.

Get some rest, let dawn awake you,
let you heed no fear or terror.
Study calmly in the moments
left before your final testing.
Let it all pass right on through you.

Come next day you still will be you
and your future lain before you
stretching out to far horizons
irrespective of your grading
and the stars will look down laughing.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5297 on: May 17, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
*searches up* hmMMMMMMM that sounds like a thing that HAS happened to me a few times, but not in this case actually? Because lately it seems like I've had something really tickly stuck in my throat, like phlegm maybe??
I start coughing if I turn my head at a slightly wrong angle, or sometimes when I start to talk ("okay so" *starts coughing* "so" *coughs more* *holds up finger* *coughs for five minutes* "let me explain this very complex art history term" *coughs* "jesus christ why"), and sometimes just when I take a deep breath...... and a lot of times i have to keep myself from gagging and it's just really annoying and gross and idk what I did to deserve this. I have to shove a bunch of mints in my mouth to numb down my throat enough to sleep >://

This sounds exactly like what happens to Wyrd (my hubby) on a regular basis. Especially when he wakes up, it's like COUGH HACK COUGH. We've had him tested for sleep apnea and no dice. But then, he has asthma and reeeeeeally needs maintenance meds for it (which, because he is dumb, he has refused to ask for on the last couple doctor's visits), and also used to smoke regularly, so I've been blaming it on that.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5298 on: May 17, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »

Maybe you are allergic to something? I have this annoying cough that stays with me for weeks after all the other cold symptoms are gone, due to my allergic state. Is there anything new in your environment that could be causing this cough?

ALSO, friday the 15th was the 1-month anniversary of my membership in this forum. Yay! :D
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5299 on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »
but I'm in this... odd floaty state between VERY VERY PANICKED BECAUSE I AM OBVIOUSLY GOING TO FAIL AND DIE and this....... ethereal apathy.

I still can read more but there's only so much knowledge you can absorb in 12 hours (several of which I hope to spend asleep), especially when your brain is all "bluh looking at these letters isn't very rewarding. you know what's rewarding? staring at the wall! WOW what a wall. what a wall"

Hahah the first snippet of your post sounds very familiar. As for the latter, it's true that at this point there's no use trying to learn new things, however rehashing what you already know may prove useful. Idk if my studying methods are anything for you to use, but at the last day before an important exam I usually just wrote down the main points of the topic (say art history: listing the different eras) and added around each point things that I already knew about them. Once this was done I looked up my old notes on each era and added what I hadn't remembered. It helped me a lot to get lots more info into my immediate memory storage with the added plus that the things actually stayed in my brain instead of just dripping out right after the exam. :Þ
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #5300 on: May 17, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »

Oh, this sounds really awful. Hmm, could be that you have enlarged adenoids...please let it check, it can cause all sorts of things (my son had apnea because of this, it caused among other things daily migraine attacks...)
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5301 on: May 17, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
No worries at all!  Good luck!
*poem*
omg gosh thank you??

Hahah the first snippet of your post sounds very familiar. As for the latter, it's true that at this point there's no use trying to learn new things, however rehashing what you already know may prove useful. *advice* :Þ
It's good advice and probably something I should do!! It's just that there is........ so much........ so many things........ im planning to go through all the powerpoints from the semester and note down all the ~*new terms*~ from each lecture and brush up on their definitions, I guess. SIGHS

:Þ:Þ:Þ:Þ:Þ:Þ:Þ:Þ:Þ

:Þ :Þ :Þ

sighs again

asthma
allergies
enlarged adenoids
*distressed noises*
when i first learned what asthma was i got so scared i couldnt sleep that night. really hope it's not that please let it not be that
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:13:27 PM by Haiz »

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5302 on: May 17, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
Nay, do not worry! All those things are very treatable! Enlarged adenoids is basically similar to having swollen tonsils, iirc, so if it's that bad it's just a surgery and then you can breathe freely. (I know not everybody's as blasé about surgeries as I am but honestly, they are not that bad a thing at all.) If it's allergies, antihistamines have come a long way, and for asthma, an inhaler for attacks and some maintenance pills can make a huge difference.

Really though, the point you should take away from all this is that there are many, many things that can cause breathing problems like you described, so you should talk to a doctor and get it pinned down and fixed up. Because oxygen is good and breathing is important and such things!

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5303 on: May 17, 2015, 03:38:12 PM »
Really though, the point you should take away from all this is that there are many, many things that can cause breathing problems like you described, so you should talk to a doctor and get it pinned down and fixed up. Because oxygen is good and breathing is important and such things!
YEAH i just requested a doctor's appointment (FIRST TIME I'VE DONE THAT ON MY OWN, 1000 ADULT POINTS TO HAIZ) now I hope timing will be good enough so everything doesn't collide with finals and/or me going to czech for the summer because that would kinda suck

surgery sounds hecka scary and I've never done any scary stuff at the hospital befor- oh wait yes I have, it can't possibly be worse than that (warning for flinchy feels/gross)
Spoiler: show
 there's that time when I got a teeny tiny piece of iron or rust or something stuck in my eye and the doctors had to poke it away with needles and it was super mega awful, 0/10 would never ever do again. also reason I'm overly sensitive to eye scream-y stuff

also i probably shouldnt have shared because if everyone else starts sharing gross hospital stories i will have to leave

edit: I think the reason i've been so slow with getting a doctor's appointment is because i had a Super Weird Cough as a kid, too, and i took a LOT of very uncomfortable tests and in the end it all turned out to be mentally caused, not physically. THANKS BRAIN
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:42:27 PM by Haiz »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5304 on: May 17, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »

EDIT: Good for you for making the appt.!  1,000 adult points for you!   :D

Don't worry, your symptoms don't point to anything life-threatening.  If you needed surgery, that would only be after trying a lot of non-invasive treatments, so don't worry that an operation would be the first thing out of the doctor's mouth. 

Since I have symptoms a lot like yours, I've explored some possible causes:

* Asthma.  Yeah, it can be serious, but generally it's not *that* scary.  Inhalers and changes to household routines that reduce exposure to triggers (if the asthma is caused by allergies) can help a lot.  I have mild asthma myself.  OK, so I'll never be an Olympic sprinter and it would be a bad idea to take up smoking or date a smoker.  Pfff, it's not like I was going to do either of those things.   8)
* Sleep apnea.
* Acid reflux, which entails excess stomach acid splashing up to the bottom of the trachea.  This can trigger the coughing reflex.  Not fun (I have it), but it is very treatable.  And the earlier you catch it, the better.
* Stress/habit.  My throat tightens and triggers the asthma when I'm under stress, making me cough.  So I'll never be a professional poker player either -- a nervous little cough is my "tell."  Big deal.  Anyway, this can be dealt with like singers do, with breathing, throat exercises, etc. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:45:39 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5305 on: May 17, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
edit: I think the reason i've been so slow with getting a doctor's appointment is because i had a Super Weird Cough as a kid, too, and i took a LOT of very uncomfortable tests and in the end it all turned out to be mentally caused, not physically. THANKS BRAIN

HEY NOW it being mentally-caused is NOT a reason to not go to a doctor about it! This is affecting your ability to breathe and talk and, yanno, go through life. Even if it's a result of stress there are things to be done about that, both lifestyle and medication-wise. Allllllways a good idea to talk to a doc.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5306 on: May 17, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
HEY NOW it being mentally-caused is NOT a reason to not go to a doctor about it! This is affecting your ability to breathe and talk and, yanno, go through life. Even if it's a result of stress there are things to be done about that, both lifestyle and medication-wise. Allllllways a good idea to talk to a doc.
oh, I agree 100%, it's just me putting off doing all these tests again >:// one of them was to have some sort of probe(?) on a long cord going through my nose and far down into my throat for a full 24 hours. it was uncomfortable. I'm super bad at dealing with uncomfortable. I think i understood just recently (*cough*aspergers diagnosis*cough*) just how much worse i am at dealing with uncomfortable than others

also thank u sunflower

.........i've probably spent more than 200 kroner just on mints lately. i need to be cured for my wallet's sake, too

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5307 on: May 17, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
Allllllways a good idea to talk to a doc.

I think that is why they are called "doctor."  I believe(*) that it is from an ancient word meaning, "someone whom it is a good idea to talk to."

* ... if by "believe" you mean, "am amused to put forward baselessly"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:30:28 PM by AmityM »
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #5308 on: May 17, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »
Heh, I'm just reading a book about the health care system in Germany/Europe, and it said like three pages ago that Norwegians don't seem to like going to a doctor - they only visit a doctor thrice a year on average, which is scarce compared to the Germans with 18 times a year. ;)

Random other stuff from my life: I like my new job, but I haven't adjusted yet to the minimum of free time I'm having now/at the moment. When I come home from work, I'm so tired I don't get anything done. And I don't even have a full time contract (only 65%), so I don't know how all these normal working persons cope.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5309 on: May 17, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Doctors, therapists, always nice to talk to if you have concerns regarding physical/mental health.

And if you're scared of them shoving a cord down your throat again, Haiz, remember that they can't force you to go through it, and you can always request another method being used to examine you! To my somewhat sane knowledge you're an adult and therefore can make decisions yourself!

So yeah they can't really force you to do anything, neither can your parents.