Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411392 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 08, 2014, 01:01:07 AM »
My sister's having her babeh!!
I'm gonna be an uncle!!  :D  Had to post because reasons!
*Happy intensifies*

Awww! Congratulations Uncle Eich! Exciting!!
Now you'll have to be...a responsible influence...! And also part-time rideable pony. Or horse..or giraffe, considering your height and such ;P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
*Happy intensifies*

Aww!  Best wishes to your sister for a safe and easy delivery, and congrats to you (and the new parents, grandparents, etc.).

I did some Google Translate, and it turns out the German word for "acorn" is very similar to the word for "oak."  So now
Es gibt eine neue Eichel auf der Eiche.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2014, 06:21:09 AM »
Awww! Congratulations Uncle Eich! Exciting!!
Now you'll have to be...a responsible influence...! And also part-time rideable pony. Or horse..or giraffe, considering your height and such ;P
Giraffe. I don't like giraffes, but I'm to tall for horse status.
And I'm toootally a good influence. :P
Aww!  Best wishes to your sister for a safe and easy delivery, and congrats to you (and the new parents, grandparents, etc.).

I did some Google Translate, and it turns out the German word for "acorn" is very similar to the word for "oak."  So now
D'aww. That's sweet enough to text to my parents. 

In other news, I meant to come in half an hour early today to get some extra time in at work, to leave early on Friday. Unfortunately, I woke up before my alarm went off, and saw *blurb*:45, so I thought I'd take advantage and get a longer shower. Sadly, I did not wake up 15 minutes early, but 1:15 early, and didn't realize that until I parked my car in the lot. X(
I kept thinking, "Wow, leaving a half hour early really changes how much light there is... And how many people are driving... And how many animals there are!"
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »
Oh my golly gosh what was the Firework Incident??! :O

Well, we were walking around in the streets of a small, quiet town just an hour outside of Barcelona... exept it was midsummer eve and all the people were going crazy with singing and dancing and fireworks. There was little concept of safety to be seen anywhere. Suddenly I felt something hit me in the hip, and it turned out a kid (couldn't have been older than ten) had thrown a firecracker at me by accident. I'm not sure if it was actually a firecracker, but it was one of those small things you light and then throw and then they burn extremely hot and bight for a little while. Anyways, I looked down and there was a tiny sun attatched to my pants right at the hip.
This is where I get really lucky.

Firstly, my jeans might not have been very thick, but they were still made of good material and not the kind that melts immediately. Secondly, it was a hot night. So hot in fact, that I had taken off my jacket a little while earlier, and by then I had it twisted around my hand. This was lucky because my first instinct was to brush the thing off as quick as possible.

End result: burn mark on my jeans, burn mark right across my jacket, I got a shock (and made a funny sound), my family got a shock and the kid was really sorry, but nobody was hurt.

*Happy intensifies*

Oh. My. God! Congratulations! ^^^
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:19 AM »
(Shamelessly copy-pastes so as to deck all bases. :P )

I did some Google Translate, and it turns out the German word for "acorn" is very similar to the word for "oak."
Well, that's about as surprising as the fruit of an apple tree being called an apple, isn't it? 8) It's namings like the fruit of a rose winding up as "Hagebutte" that I find noteworthy ...

Interestingly enough, actual German idioms tend to care about fruit once they dropped off, as in the (earnest) "der Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Stamm" ("the apple doesn't drop far from the trunk" = offspring resembles its ancestors) or the (mocking) "der Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Birnbaum".

Then there's the term "Stammhalter" (son and heir, literally "the one holding the trunk") ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2014, 08:04:17 AM »
Giraffe. I don't like giraffes, but I'm to tall for horse status.
And I'm toootally a good influence. :P
You don't like...giraffes...? Ok, how abouuuuut....a Clydesdale? :D
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1216852/Tallest-horse-world-10ft-Poe-looks-set-gallop-record-books.html :P

In other news, I meant to come in half an hour early today to get some extra time in at work, to leave early on Friday. Unfortunately, I woke up before my alarm went off, and saw *blurb*:45, so I thought I'd take advantage and get a longer shower. Sadly, I did not wake up 15 minutes early, but 1:15 early, and didn't realize that until I parked my car in the lot. X(
I kept thinking, "Wow, leaving a half hour early really changes how much light there is... And how many people are driving... And how many animals there are!"
I did the opposite on Monday and missed a section of my French exam (the sections start before official exam season, and are spread out nonsensically) by an hour and had to take the exam all alone in the teachers office X'C
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
*Happy intensifies*
Well, congratulations and fruit juice all around.

Hmm. I didn't really consider posting an incidents-list because OrigamiOwl's list looked so amazing. But I suppose if I keep it vague enough things might seem more exciting than they actually were...?

So:
- The Swedish "Pirate" incident
- The triggerhappy navy captain incident
- The aperitifs-incident
- The indignant Italian hobo incident
- The apex predator incident
- The basement-cat incident
- The Poseidon Lord of the Arctic incident
- The darwinian saxifrages incident
- Numerous My-dad-needs-to-stop--trying-to-speak-the-local-language-when-we-are-on-vacation incidents

I think my dad might win the most eccentric incident award with his "the day the Italian navy command ship was boarded by pirates" incident though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:47:14 AM by Fimbulvarg »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
Mr. Giraffe has an opinion on getting ousted that leisurely. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
- Numerous My-dad-needs-to-stop--trying-to-speak-the-local-language-when-we-are-on-vacation incidents

Ah, yes, those kinds of incidents. I'd rather have another firework incident to be honest.
 Mostly quiet.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #324 on: October 08, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
Today was awesome.  Getting to work early was weird, but it means I got to leave early to pick up my 3ds and, waaaay more awesome-ly, I became an uncle.  I'm the youngest in the family, so I've never gotten to experience having a new family member before.  I like it.  I'm going home this weekend to be with the family and see my new, little niece.  All this business today on only 4.5 hours of sleep, though, so bedtime soon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1216852/Tallest-horse-world-10ft-Poe-looks-set-gallop-record-books.html :P
I did the opposite on Monday and missed a section of my French exam (the sections start before official exam season, and are spread out nonsensically) by an hour and had to take the exam all alone in the teachers office X'C
That'll do, OrigamiOwl, that'll do.
Same thing happened to my sister in her French final.  She showed up an hour late, but the teacher liked her and let her take it afterward.
Feel free to PM.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #325 on: October 09, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »
Congratulations Eich, to you and your whole family, especially the parents of the new little human being =) =) =)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Snigelb

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #326 on: October 09, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
Does anyone know if Minna is coming to Gamex/Comicon in Stockholm?

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #327 on: October 09, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
99% sure the answer's "no".
 Mostly quiet.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #328 on: October 09, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »
Maybe if you leave a trail of chicken nuggets from her house to Stockholm. Indications are she won't be able to resist collecting them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:25:51 AM by Fimbulvarg »

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #329 on: October 09, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
Minna seems to be terribly shy/bad around people. I'd say it's safe to assume that it would be a small miracle for her to come to any event, even as a regular visitor.