Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409679 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5220 on: May 14, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
*Stares at rock collection, as well as my prized piece of snow obsidian*

Did someone mention rock/gemstones/crystals? I have a wonderful collection of various specimens of native rocks, and non-native. Basically what I pick up and what I have bought. I absolutely love my raw chevron amethyst point, and blue kyanite, oh and my Buffalo Obsidian. . . I need to get more stones, as I use them for meditation and aura healing.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #5221 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:10 AM »
Storytime!

So, my town is 98% LDS, right? That means that seeing a can of beer or an inebriated person is a little like seeing a unicorn - it doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, I really like Bundaberg Ginger Beer - non-alcoholic, wonderfully flavorful, and clears your head right up.
Apparently, it looks like some sort of beer bottle.

So whenever I walk around town carrying a bottle of Bundaberg, I get the strangest looks. Yesterday, I received my first ever leer! So proud. I can pass through large crowds, simply carrying that bottle, and people will get out of my way. It's the best :P

Oh my god I love ginger beer so much! It is the best drink ever! You should come here to New Zealand, where 12-year-olds learn how to make it.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5222 on: May 14, 2015, 01:28:50 AM »
Oh my god I love ginger beer so much! It is the best drink ever! You should come here to New Zealand, where 12-year-olds learn how to make it.
what
*adds to list of reasons to move to New Zealand*
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5223 on: May 14, 2015, 04:00:06 AM »
Storytime!

So, my town is 98% LDS, right? That means that seeing a can of beer or an inebriated person is a little like seeing a unicorn - it doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, I really like Bundaberg Ginger Beer - non-alcoholic, wonderfully flavorful, and clears your head right up.

So whenever I walk around town carrying a bottle of Bundaberg, I get the strangest looks. Yesterday, I received my first ever leer! So proud. I can pass through large crowds, simply carrying that bottle, and people will get out of my way. It's the best :P

Awww... our little Adrai all grown up and trolling the townsfolk like a pro!   8)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5224 on: May 14, 2015, 05:46:23 AM »
Storytime!

LDS = Church of Latter Day Saints or Licentiate in Dental Surgery? :P

Now just remember to look bedraggled, stumble randomly and mutter to yourself.  You will be on your way to becoming a social outcast in no time :D

To be honest considering the state of US beer I'm surprised not more of the country is teetotal. 

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5225 on: May 14, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
I... think I got drunk on ginger ale once? there's no alcohol in ginger ale

Nooo, mainly large, mechanical bird wings, random wavy crap, and lots and lots of hands.
*innocent cough*
Spoiler: show
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5226 on: May 14, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »
I... think I got drunk on ginger ale once? there's no alcohol in ginger ale

Placebo-drunk maybe, like when you fool yourself into thinking you're feeling drunk and act the part.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5227 on: May 14, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »
Placebo-drunk maybe, like when you fool yourself into thinking you're feeling drunk and act the part.
Of course that's what happened. I've never been actually drunk and don't really want to be. Giving me coffee and/or ginger ale is a much cheaper alternative anyway

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5228 on: May 14, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Dunno about places outside EU regulation, but over here, "alcohol free" beer is allowed to contain ohdotsomething percent of alcohol.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5229 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
Dunno about places outside EU regulation, but over here, "alcohol free" beer is allowed to contain ohdotsomething percent of alcohol.
Ginger ale isn't actually beer, though. It's just a little odd-tasting kinda soda? the good kind of odd-tasting

Norway is super strict on alcohol sale. not sure about the details since I have no interest in it, but it's strict (and expensive as heck)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #5230 on: May 14, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »

Where I live (and as far as I know, generally worldwide) it is usually about 0,5% - not nearly enough to make you drunk, unless you take a barrel of it. Come to think of it, half a liter of 1,5% won't make you drunk either, but everything varies from person to person.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #5231 on: May 14, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
Ginger ale isn't actually beer, though. It's just a little odd-tasting kinda soda? the good kind of odd-tasting

Norway is super strict on alcohol sale. not sure about the details since I have no interest in it, but it's strict (and expensive as heck)
Well, yeah, its not really bear. But doesn't it have an aging process? Like, I know that the brand Vernor's ages for about 3-4 years...in a barrel, even.

On a completely different subject, the neighbour's pipes burst today and the Windsor fire department had to block off the street with their trucks while they went in with all their fancy gas equipment. I smelled some in my room, so they had to come into my house too. Glad they did, otherwise I would have no idea the the smoke detector downstairs wasn't working...and that the circular things under the cabinets were actually lights. Not smoke detectors. That last bit was kind of embarrassing.

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Divra

« Reply #5232 on: May 14, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
Well, yeah, its not really bear. But doesn't it have an aging process? Like, I know that the brand Vernor's ages for about 3-4 years...in a barrel, even.

Lecture mode: Initiated!

Ginger beer was originally created by the temperance movement as an alternative to beer (root beer, flavored with sarsaparilla root, is a similar alternative). Originally, the carbonation in the drink came from a fermentation in the bottle, which could also add trace amounts of alcohol to the beverage.

Modern day beverages are carbonated through introduction of chemically produced carbon dioxide under pressure (most often, if you buy a soft drink that's carbonated by fermentation, it's most likely a microbrew and costs a mint), which evaporates when not under pressure.

Aging is a completely different process, which has nothing to do with alcohol, it merely means storing something for a time, which gives time for certain chemical reactions to form new flavor compounds through leaching from the container or interaction between the food, certain bacteria and chemicals in the air. Smoked and/or dried meats are commonly aged, as are several kinds of cheese.

Edit: Described wrong reaction. Sorry!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:34:48 PM by Divra »

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5233 on: May 14, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
How do you  get iron filings off magnets?

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5234 on: May 14, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
How do you  get iron filings off magnets?

With a stronger magnet. But first put the stronger magnet into a thin plastic bag so the filings won't get stuck on that one instead.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: