Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387730 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5055 on: May 08, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »
OKAY i have returned from my concert with Storm Weather Shanty Choir, AKA the most intense singalong party of all time, if my throat wasn't messed up before it's definitely messed up now, and my hands are sore from clapping. I thought celtic folk concerts were, fun, but shanteys are amAZING. worth every single second and coughing fit

also completely unrelated, seems like we're getting to the part of year when the sky is still streaked with light even at midnight, and I absolutely love it. Not only because my mental health seems to be very tied to the presence of daylight (my brain goes into rebellion mode once the sky goes dark, thanks brain), but because walking home to a dramatic display of turquoise and blue in the sky is one of my absolute favourite feelings and i just really love the sky a lot
you'll know where to find me.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5056 on: May 08, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »
I wouldn't really worry about deer (red deer, white tailed deer, that kind), they're actually fairly skittish. I once ran into a stag (by accident, honestly) on a dark forest road and it immediately charged off into the woods. Another time I encountered one standing two meters away as I rounded a corner. It pretty much turned tail and ran away. So you see, deers are usually really, really afraid of people and unlikely to actually attack you.

Oh indeed--we have mule deer around here, which are slightly larger than white tails if I recall, but I've never had any actual problems with them. Aside from the everpresent danger of hitting one when driving. They're relatively used to people though, since they come down into the communities nearer the mountains (including where my new house is!) during the winter to get food. They still run away, but they sit and stare at you for a while first, even if you're pretty damn close, and again--when they run, seeing something that large and heavy move that fast that close to you is hella intimidating.

It's okay though, I'll just sit on the back porch with a shotgun, a beer and a dog at my side. I will be PREPARED.

so I'm a boring person that talks about the weather, but this week so far is literally going sunny day - grey day - sunny day - grey day - sunny day - rainy day. It's almost as if two weather gods divorced and pass the charge of the weather between eachother like a kid

Aaaaaack here toooo! We're having some really spectacular thunderstorms, but the constantly changing atmospheric pressure (plus PMS) is making all my joints ache like I'm some sort of old person. For someone who habitually sits curled up in a ball or cross-legged, having your knees and hips complain when you bend them is No Fun. ;_; (And achy fingers for a touch-typing computer addict = also not so great.)

I have reached the point were I actually would appreciate that some people just start conversation with me even if it is just about the weather. The new part of the job is both really interesting and tiring. Seems that regular teachers in germany still are pretty unwilling to communicate regularly with contact persons, especially those whom I tried to contact on several ways. Kinda nasty if parents whose children are in these teacher's care have even less contact than me. (there is also nice ones there but at present the ratio is 12:3 in favour of the negative persons).
Also it is time for application run! How hard can it be?

*rolls you up in tentacles* We will start conversations with you! We like conversations with you! And I am with you here--lack of communication at work is enough to make anybody pull their hair out. Come on, guys. Let's just talk to each other, yeah? Make all our lives easier. I swear I won't be angry if you do. Pinky promise.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5057 on: May 08, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
also completely unrelated, seems like we're getting to the part of year when the sky is still streaked with light even at midnight, and I absolutely love it. Not only because my mental health seems to be very tied to the presence of daylight (my brain goes into rebellion mode once the sky goes dark, thanks brain), but because walking home to a dramatic display of turquoise and blue in the sky is one of my absolute favourite feelings and i just really love the sky a lot

Ohh, I always wanted  to see that! How do you call it where you live? Is it the "midnight sun"?
I wanted to see the northern lights as well, they're so pretty.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #5058 on: May 08, 2015, 10:28:53 PM »
The midnight sun is a bit of a nuisance. It's hard to sleep when it's still super bright at 11 oclock and well into the early hours of the morning. People take this as a cue to play outside at 1-2 am in the morning here.

Pro-tip. Please don't play basketball at two in the morning - for the sake of your neighbours.

A lot of us just tape garbage bags to our windows, as drapes and blinds seldom do the job right. 
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #5059 on: May 08, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »
*whispers* I own a tiny zebra named Phoenix
Spoiler: show

Yay
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #5060 on: May 08, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
*whispers* I own a tiny zebra named Phoenix
Spoiler: show

Yay
Aww super cute!
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5061 on: May 08, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »
The midnight sun is a bit of a nuisance. It's hard to sleep when it's still super bright at 11 oclock and well into the early hours of the morning. People take this as a cue to play outside at 1-2 am in the morning here.

Pro-tip. Please don't play basketball at two in the morning - for the sake of your neighbours.

A lot of us just tape garbage bags to our windows, as drapes and blinds seldom do the job right.

*headclutch* That would drive me utterly bonkers! There would be blackout curtains in every room of the house and amber-tinted glasses and full-spectrum lamps for when it's dark too long. *guards her circadian rhythm like a gargoyle*

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5062 on: May 09, 2015, 02:55:49 AM »
Ohh, I always wanted  to see that! How do you call it where you live? Is it the "midnight sun"?
Yeeeeeah I think it's midnight sun? Although the sky orb itself had already set, so it was just. the twilight i guess? I live lot further south now, but I originally come from Finnmark which is the northernmost county of Norway and gets almost all of its tourists thanks to the phenomena of midnight sun and northern lights

also I get too used to the longlasting daylights too quick, so when I inevitable visit czech in summer (ever. year.) i always freak out at night because "it's warm?? but also dark?? at the same time?? how"
and then czech friends visiting norway are all "HOW DO YOU SLEEP IN THE SUMMER"

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5063 on: May 09, 2015, 03:36:45 AM »

Midnight sun is a nice experience when you're just visiting to observe it. Otherwise it's a trade off, eternal summer daylight for eternal winter nights.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5064 on: May 09, 2015, 03:58:41 AM »
Midnight sun is a nice experience when you're just visiting to observe it. Otherwise it's a trade off, eternal summer daylight for eternal winter nights.

I actually quite like it... over here it always feels like the change between no-night and no-light happens really suddenly, which is a perfect season change for me. Oh, sun's gone? Time to throw the summer stuff into the storage, dig out the glögi recipes and heavier sweaters and remember to not leave anything edible outdoors for even a minute because our winter resident raven will get it. I once turned my back to a trash bag and when I next saw it it was halfway across the front yard and accelerating.

And then one day the sun comes back, seagulls in ravens out, time for lighter sweaters and planning the summer camping trips where you won't have to worry about the time too much because 2 a.m. and 2 p.m. look pretty much the same. I'm quite happy with this arrangement. *nodnod*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5065 on: May 09, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »
I actually quite like it... over here it always feels like the change between no-night and no-light happens really suddenly, which is a perfect season change for me. Oh, sun's gone? Time to throw the summer stuff into the storage, dig out the glögi recipes and heavier sweaters and remember to not leave anything edible outdoors for even a minute because our winter resident raven will get it. I once turned my back to a trash bag and when I next saw it it was halfway across the front yard and accelerating.

And then one day the sun comes back, seagulls in ravens out, time for lighter sweaters and planning the summer camping trips where you won't have to worry about the time too much because 2 a.m. and 2 p.m. look pretty much the same. I'm quite happy with this arrangement. *nodnod*

Maybe that's actually helpful, yes. After moving south I've become notoriously bad at reacting to seasonal change. "It's kind of cold... oh, it's winter and I'm only wearing one layer. Now it's really hot.... oh, it's summer and I'm wearing a parka". On the other hand it's very annoying that you have to do everything in darkness if you want to go outside. The other plus side is of course that you'll get to see so much northern light you'll end up growing apathic to it (like me).

Also, seagulls. Don't like them. Especially not the 2 kilogram great black-backs, they're a rowdy, rabid cutthroat bunch. I've gotten into so many tangles with them for just casually strolling near their territory. It's like having a swarm of flying pickaxes trying to peck a hole in your head from every angle.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5066 on: May 09, 2015, 06:38:31 AM »
After moving south I've become notoriously bad at reacting to seasonal change. "It's kind of cold... oh, it's winter and I'm only wearing one layer. Now it's really hot.... oh, it's summer and I'm wearing a parka".
I seem to be kinda sensitive to the different temperature changes and have a different coats for every situation, like Super Warm Fluffy Coat for -10 and below, Kinda Thick Coat for -10 to -3, Coat for 0 to... 5, i guess, then it's various jackets and sweaters upwards to 15, and if it gets warmer than 23c it's too warm and I'm probably going to die

seagulls confirmed for bullies in the bird hierarchy

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5067 on: May 09, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »
Maybe that's actually helpful, yes. After moving south I've become notoriously bad at reacting to seasonal change. "It's kind of cold... oh, it's winter and I'm only wearing one layer. Now it's really hot.... oh, it's summer and I'm wearing a parka". On the other hand it's very annoying that you have to do everything in darkness if you want to go outside. The other plus side is of course that you'll get to see so much northern light you'll end up growing apathic to it (like me).

Perks of a mild climate: you just pick your sweater according to the day. :D I've gone through several winters here forgetting my coat on occasion because a sweater or two will do just as well. As for northern lights I'm not capable of apathy there, the moment I know the show is on I'm out of the house!

seagulls confirmed for bullies in the bird hierarchy

Until the ravens come in and decide to drop them a hint that the place is now theirs, kindly butt out. That one raven I mentioned that spends its winters in our neighbourhood is big and mean enough to take on a whole flock of gulls. It's pretty awesome to watch.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5068 on: May 09, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »
As for northern lights I'm not capable of apathy there, the moment I know the show is on I'm out of the house!
my mom once woke me up at 4AM to watch the northern lights. They're pretty weak around these parts

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5069 on: May 09, 2015, 06:58:26 AM »
my mom once woke me up at 4AM to watch the northern lights. They're pretty weak around these parts

You haven't seen weak nortern lights until you've seen the Western Norwegian northern lights. This winter the newspapers made a big fuzz about there being a chance of an exceptionally strong northern light even down here. About midnight I saw my neighbour post a very excited post on facebook saying she could see it on the horizon. So I went to have a looksee since it had been a while since I last saw it.

I was so unimpressed I almost died from apathy overload on the spot.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:33:01 AM by Fimbulwaffle »