Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409671 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
So, as it turns out, I read a lot more than I had expected...I've been keeping track of how many books I've read this year, and I looked, and--well--I think I need another hobby. 0.O

(99. I've read 99 books so far, this year.)

New hobby? No. You're doing hobbies right!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
So, as it turns out, I read a lot more than I had expected...I've been keeping track of how many books I've read this year, and I looked, and--well--I think I need another hobby. 0.O

Dang.  My best friend has a similar problem, he read his library.  The whole thing, excluding scientific texts.  He lives in a small area, but still, something's not right about that.  Maybe you could pick up art or music (writing might be a good fit :P)?  My problem is too many hobbies.  Since I started work, I've found that there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.  I haven't even played a vidya game in... *checks Steam*... a month.  I honestly don't think that's ever happened before. 
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »

O^O

Wot. You have me beat. Even at my most book-intensive age. 99. Just wot.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
Art, music, writing...Uh, already doing all of those, heh. I play three instruments, and am on my second draft of a (short) full-length novel, actually. :P Come to think of it, I'm also doing *counts* about five and a half weekly activities and some other stuff on my own time. Maybe I'm just ADD...

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »
Awaaaaah.... Just got home after planting 4500 baby trees all day X__X

Kuutar graced us with good lighting but we were still swarmed by crazy moths- thankfully no trolls heehee- but we were able to finish before the mini-storm hit so that was good!

Aaaagggh man my back and feet are trying to go on strike ;__; anyone know any magical cures?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #245 on: October 04, 2014, 08:08:21 AM »
Awaaaaah.... Just got home after planting 4500 baby trees all day X__X

Kuutar graced us with good lighting but we were still swarmed by crazy moths- thankfully no trolls heehee- but we were able to finish before the mini-storm hit so that was good!

Aaaagggh man my back and feet are trying to go on strike ;__; anyone know any magical cures?

They are sprouts! ... Why would you need to plant that many trees? Can't nature take care of the ecosystem on its own?

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #246 on: October 04, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
They are sprouts! ... Why would you need to plant that many trees? Can't nature take care of the ecosystem on its own?

Sprouts....? O__O nuuuu they were fruit trees! But I have a history with this particular lot: They were the ones that I'd previously planted as tiny saplings, then pulled out of the nursery (my poor back!) trimmed and tied into bunches of 10 (with awful cutty string that ruined my hands for weeks- I'm still peeling skin off ;__;) and then today took them out of storage and replanted them in the new nursery where I'll have to graft onto them during exams, then they'll stay there for a few years, then I'll have to move them to the proper orchard with the grown up trees XC whyyyyyyyyyyyy there must be an easier way! Dad makes jobs harder than they should be
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #247 on: October 04, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »
But I have a history with this particular lot: They were the ones that I'd previously planted as tiny saplings, then pulled out of the nursery (my poor back!) trimmed and tied into bunches of 10

O.O  That's a lot of tying trees.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
Oh, dear.  I thought yard work was bad.  Wait, don't y'all also have a bunch of animals, too?  How many farmy things do you have?
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #249 on: October 04, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
Somehow the only thing I can think to ask is what kind of fruit trees they are.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #250 on: October 04, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
Sprouts....? O__O nuuuu they were fruit trees! But I have a history with this particular lot: They were the ones that I'd previously planted as tiny saplings, then pulled out of the nursery (my poor back!) trimmed and tied into bunches of 10 (with awful cutty string that ruined my hands for weeks- I'm still peeling skin off ;__;) and then today took them out of storage and replanted them in the new nursery where I'll have to graft onto them during exams, then they'll stay there for a few years, then I'll have to move them to the proper orchard with the grown up trees XC whyyyyyyyyyyyy there must be an easier way! Dad makes jobs harder than they should be

"Tree babies" are called sprouts or seedlings (plants don't have babies). If they are saplings they are well into growing but still juvenile - basically saplings are tree-children, older than "babies" but still not mature.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #251 on: October 04, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
(plants don't have babies)
That's what you Think.   8)

Edit: Oh, and hey there, new Scout!
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #252 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »
Okaaay, general discussion thread is for random stuff, right? so today I bought a pack of cards at the local selling-geeky-stuff store, and it all looked oerfectly normal to me. I unpacked them, read the m, prepared them, all perfectly normal. I even read the extra stuff about worldbuilding, all normal. It wasn't until I sat down and started playing with my father that I realized that the whole deck was in English!

Has this happened to anyone else? Not realizing the language you are speaking or reading because it's become natural for you?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »
Okaaay, general discussion thread is for random stuff, right? so today I bought a pack of cards at the local selling-geeky-stuff store, and it all looked oerfectly normal to me. I unpacked them, read the m, prepared them, all perfectly normal. I even read the extra stuff about worldbuilding, all normal. It wasn't until I sat down and started playing with my father that I realized that the whole deck was in English!

Has this happened to anyone else? Not realizing the language you are speaking or reading because it's become natural for you?

Yeah, that happened to me once. We were watching Battle Royale, which was subbed in finnish. Then we moved on to the sequel, torrented version that was subbed in english.
Only in the last minutes we started to get all "wait a minute, was the first one finnish..? And this one..??"

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »

No :(
But the more I go to work, the more German I hear, and the more I want to be a part of it.  I've never really felt that, but I guess it's because I've never had a reason to learn another language before.  I am picking up small words here and there, mainly from design drawings, like "poliert" and "rundung," and it's pretty cool to learn these little things.  It's kind of exciting.
Feel free to PM.