Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387730 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4650 on: April 23, 2015, 08:30:28 AM »
that's not exactly my experience so far, but that might just be me being incredibly bad at socializing and too timid to join societies......... it's been months and my classmates are still in a "friendly acquaintances" zone to me, even after we had that excursion to Rome in October........... BUT to be fair I had the same classmates for three years at my previous school, and I think it took me the entirety of the first year to actually connect to some of them. friending me irl is such a chore, wow. 
Actually the same goes for me?? I take a long time to warm up to people and it's not because I don't like them, more that... I just don't know how to do that whole FRIEND QUICK, FRIEND EASY thing :p I can talk to people, sure, but actually getting to know them and letting people get to know me irl is very difficult.
it's also very difficult on most social media networks so if i seem cold or aloof here i promise i'm just terrified of you all because SO NICE SO COOL
YEET

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #4651 on: April 23, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
full of people who know what they're doing........
[Remembers a certain professor willfully ignoring budgets so that his secretary and myself ultimately had to fight the administration's beancounters for simple stuff like friggin' paperclips to keep the offices running]

... sorry, no.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4652 on: April 23, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
OKAY OKAY i take back what i said about people knowing what they're doing. I'm changing it to "slightly better at adapting, being independent, and hiding their assumed helplessness".

edit: backtracking to previous topic, i guess I did a mistake complaining about what people assume about me. it's not so much assumption trouble as it is "PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE MY EXISTENCE" ahahaha ha ha
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:44:24 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4653 on: April 23, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
... Now I want to go back to university. (If mine wasn't at 300 km I'm sure I would have go to the big and silent library's second floor in order to work maybe better.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #4654 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »
Actually the same goes for me?? I take a long time to warm up to people and it's not because I don't like them, more that... I just don't know how to do that whole FRIEND QUICK, FRIEND EASY thing :p I can talk to people, sure, but actually getting to know them and letting people get to know me irl is very difficult.
it's also very difficult on most social media networks so if i seem cold or aloof here i promise i'm just terrified of you all because SO NICE SO COOL

You'll find a lot of us here are like that! *shoves forward neglected but still interesting thread* Many of us are introverts. It took me a little to get comfortable here, and I still don't post a lot. (Still have to have a readjustment period every time a large influx of new active users come in.)
Am notified of private messages via email.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4655 on: April 23, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
You'll find a lot of us here are like that! *shoves forward neglected but still interesting thread* Many of us are introverts. It took me a little to get comfortable here, and I still don't post a lot. (Still have to have a readjustment period every time a large influx of new active users come in.)

Hahah even worse, some of us are extroverts with all the social grace of a barrelful of drunken chimpanzees. :D I love to be around people and to meet new ones but I'm extremely slow at actually friend-friending anyone, plus most people immediately classify me (correctly) as a little bit embarrassing a person to be around. Thus I have a large circle of acquaintances and very few close friends...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4656 on: April 23, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
ah hello thread
*adds to istj pile*

it's so much easier for me to connect with people on the internet? I still get a little overwhelmed but if it's in text at least i can, like. read it again. take a break before answering. read through what i write (happens sometimes, i swear). Plus, it's easier to find people you 'click' with? because you find them on platforms where you find eachother through common interests - like this place, heh.
and like, 90% of my closer social circle are friends i've made through the internet in some way. I sometimes forget because I've known them for so long. some of my irl friends are friends of internet friends that happen to live close to me - one of my weirdest realization was when I was having tea with a friend of the sister of my internet friend that lives 14 hours by train away, and just. whoa. how did this happen

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:12:17 AM by Haiz »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4657 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »
most people immediately classify me (correctly) as a little bit embarrassing a person to be around.

Can't imagine why (unless you make actual accordion sounds).

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4658 on: April 23, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
it's easier to find people you 'click' with?

Please tell me that pun was intentional.

bunch of idiots who go roof climbing with you on top of the national welsh library in the middle of the night. Where all of you proceed to hide in multiple places as the fire brigade, police and library security try to find you.....ah good times!!

That sounds like a very dangerous and stupid thing to do.  Would certainly never catch me taking part in such a risky venture.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4659 on: April 23, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Please tell me that pun was intentional.
was it a pun
i can't tell what pun it is

Laufey: I too am a very awkward person (except it extends to my online persona as well as irl) and the best thing is to embrace that awkwardness and find other people to be awkward with!!!
(this has been a socializing tip from someone who is the most worst at socializing)

AND IF ANYONE IS ASKING how that essay is going since im suddenly suspiciously active in this thread, its' going juuuust fiiiineeeee [/puppyfox voice]

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4660 on: April 23, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
Can't imagine why (unless you make actual accordion sounds).

That might actually be an improvement, according to a friend I have the worst foot in mouth disease she's ever seen.  :P

Laufey: I too am a very awkward person (except it extends to my online persona as well as irl) and the best thing is to embrace that awkwardness and find other people to be awkward with!!!
(this has been a socializing tip from someone who is the most worst at socializing)

Hmmmm, it's true I gave up fighting it a long time ago but I haven't actually tried embracing it. Time to traumatize a lot of people!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4661 on: April 23, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »
was it a pun
i can't tell what pun it is

Click, like you click with a mouse, and we are all here clicking on things..... I feel shameful now, I amuse myself too much.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4662 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
That might actually be an improvement, according to a friend I have the worst foot in mouth disease she's ever seen.  :P

I think you're in good company then, it wouldn't surprise me if a large part of this community is awkward/rash/awkwardly rash enough to suffer from the same.

Click, like you click with a mouse, and we are all here clicking on things..... I feel shameful now, I amuse myself too much.
Clicking intensifies.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4663 on: April 23, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
I was having a good hair day this morning when I open my paint thinner and BAM it's all over my hair. Why does this have to happen to me.
( it's this stuff. The stickiest stuff in the universe.)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4664 on: April 23, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
I was having a good hair day this morning when I open my paint thinner and BAM it's all over my hair. Why does this have to happen to me.
( it's this stuff. The stickiest stuff in the universe.)

Reminds me of when I sat on my paint rag. Everyone laughed cause I got the silly oil paint all over my clothes. But I still prefer oil over acrylic, even though I've worked with acrylic more.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: