Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409717 times)

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4590 on: April 21, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »
I'm slowly getting over the firts shock of the horrid results of our parliamentary election that was held last sunday. It seems we might be in for a government consisting of Center Party (=countryside party), Basic Finns (=xenofobic if not outright racist party) and National Coalition (=conservative party with strong libertarist tendencies). What the heck is wrong with my people that they vote for such parties?!?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:24:23 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #4591 on: April 21, 2015, 03:28:27 AM »
Adrai, I'm so sorry that you have to look at that. Just imagining it burns my eyes. DX Is the first lesson supposed to be that those colors should never ever be thrown together or something?

One of my favorite creepy children's rhymes is about the influenza of 1918 and goes:
 "I had a little bird, it's name was Enza. I opened up the window and in-flew-Enza!" (said in a sing-song voice)

Pessi:
I know how you feel. Although many Americans didn't even vote this last election, which was awful in itself.
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4592 on: April 21, 2015, 04:09:23 AM »
Adrai Thell: ooof that does sound... painful. D: One of my professors had a bad habit of using a lot of magenta blocks behind the titles in her slides, which made the titles completely unreadable and not a little uncomfortable to look at but yours sounds like a whole new level of eyesore.

KicknRun: I love weird, creepy nursery rhymes! By the way, is there anyone else here who would have been well and thoroughly traumatized by the poem collection Struwwelpeter (Shockheaded Peter) as a child?

"...The door flew open, in he ran,
The great, long, red-legged scissor-man.
Oh! children, see! the tailor's come
And caught out little Suck-a-Thumb.
Snip! Snap! Snip! the scissors go;
And Conrad cries out "Oh! Oh! Oh!"
Snip! Snap! Snip! They go so fast,
That both his thumbs are off at last."

Pessi: I admit I haven't been following the Finnish elections that closely but that does sound like an awful combo...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4593 on: April 21, 2015, 04:57:27 AM »
Erk, nurse rhymes. I associate them with fierce and relentless tickling at the end.

That sounds like something out of a body horror movie. Don't suck your thumb I guess?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4594 on: April 21, 2015, 05:25:33 AM »
That sounds like something out of a body horror movie. Don't suck your thumb I guess?

Yes indeed, this is what happens to naughty little children who suck on their thumbs. When Conrad's mum returns home and sees her now-thumbless son all she says is "hah told you so!" The book is full of precious little moments like these, including a very detailed story of a girl who burned herself alive by playing with matches...  :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4595 on: April 21, 2015, 06:16:44 AM »
KicknRun: I love weird, creepy nursery rhymes! By the way, is there anyone else here who would have been well and thoroughly traumatized by the poem collection Struwwelpeter (Shockheaded Peter) as a child?

Ngaaahhhh!  Struwwelpeter creeped the heck out of me as a kid.  The poems were bad enough, but the original illustrations made it all 100% worse.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #4596 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
Luckily I didn't read all these "educational" stories as a child, but later. I also remember Suppenkasper who starves to death because he is a picky eater.

Pessi, I think this sad and alarming tendency can be seen in other european countries as well. I'm thinking of the big success the Front National had in France or the rather newly founded "Alternative für Deutschland"  in German which has already gained seats in the federal states.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #4597 on: April 21, 2015, 07:29:01 AM »
Alright long story short i'm pritty sick ( 39 degrees celcius ) and because of this i remembered some psychological horror from the last time i was sick.

That time i didn't have that much fever so i managed to spent most of my time watching Full metal alchemist. I managed to watch the entire thing in three days i was sick and all the time i was either sleeping or watching the series.

Now the next day i went to school. Now, since the Finnish nonverbal communication is some of the best there is for the entire morning i didn't have to speak to anyone and on the bus i put on my headphones and listened to music so i didn't hear anyone talk for the whole morning.

When i arrived at school and disrobed taking the headphones off i started to realize something was off, i didn't yet realize what it was so i just went to a bench and started to play with my phone,but As more and more people started to arrive the weird off putting feeling got stronger and stronger until i realized what was going on.

You know the feel of hearing someone talk, but not being able to make out the words because he's too far away? Well because i had spent some 32 or so hours listening to anime i actually thought everyone was speaking japanese. Yea everyone was speaking japanese. Note hadn't yet spoken to anyone so all i knew was that everyone spoke japanese. This scared the hell out of me since i thought i was either still sick and hallucinating heavily or still asleep.

Luckily after 10min or so of me freaking out, a friend of mine came and said hello and he sounded all fine and normal so i slowly realized that it was only my head playing tricks on me  :P.

Long story short, don't watch over 30 hours of anime when you are sick. It makes your brain do odd things.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4598 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
Sunflower, I really hope so, because it's physically painful to look at. There's no hint of irony though, and it's an online class with a teacher who just got hired... *shudders*
I hope you have one of those old monochrome, green or amber monitors available for this online class ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4599 on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:19 AM »
Can someone explain to me what is wrong with those Finnish parties?  The xenophobic one I get, the rest I don't understand the issue.

Long story short, don't watch over 30 hours of anime when you are sick. It makes your brain do odd things.

I can relate to that, even if you are not sick a really long anime binge makes the world seem strange when you return to it.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4600 on: April 21, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
I'm not even sick but my throat is being awful and itchy and I keep throwing coughing fits... I'm not hoarse yet but I've poem performance at UKM this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it, and if this keeps up............. ...... It's the last year I can participate because of my age and last year I couldn't go because of a school trip to berlin, so I reallyreally need for this time to work out........ pLEASE SAVE ME FROM THIS PHLEGMY HELL
you'll know where to find me.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4601 on: April 21, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »

I've had that happen sometimes too o___o it's such a disorientating feeling because your brain thinks "wait up I don't know any useful Japanese! What do I say if they talk to me?!"

A similar thing would occasionally happen after I'd leave a French class and go to the cafeteria or catch a bus: I'd walk up to the counter/bus preparing what to say to the person... In French, and I'd panic because there was some word I didn't know yet/couldn't remember like "pie" and then I'd snap out of it and realise :/

But aw man with the combination of being unwell that would've felt so blurgh and weird! Like an odd fever dream or something ;-; *pats*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #4602 on: April 21, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
Can someone explain to me what is wrong with those Finnish parties?  The xenophobic one I get, the rest I don't understand the issue.

I'm a red-green leftist. Does that make it easier to understand? Most of the people I know or whom I daily communicate with have a rather similar ideology: we want to live in a nation that takes care of all of it's citizens regardless their ethnic or economic background, understands the necessity of nature preservation as well as developing economy and infrastructure in a way that does not destroy the environment, and works to advance equality between all people all around the world. So it tends to come as a shock when election after election the majority of finns seem to think that none of these things matter and it's a much better idea to vote for people who see the world as a battlefield where everyone must fight for themselves and grab as much as they can. Or simply to vote for their favorite celebrities or the same candidates they’ve always voted for, regardless if those candidates have ever achieved anything good when elected or are convicted criminals, alcoholics or plain idiots.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #4603 on: April 21, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
Koeshi: I would say that the biggest problem with the last goverment was that the governing parties didn't get anything done at a time when decissions, good or bad would have been better than the inaction we had.

Owl: Thanks, i have actively been avoiding watching anime now that i'm sick just to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #4604 on: April 21, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »
I was going for that, but my train of thought just snapped, all cohesion was lost and i just blurted that out. Note that is also why i deleted the comment since i didn't think it really had any value.

EDIT: Laufey: Thanks and sorry for the inconvinience. I really shouldn't try wrapping my mind around politics when sick.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:42:50 AM by FinnishViking »