Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411013 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4575 on: April 20, 2015, 05:32:35 AM »
OrigamiOwl: I hate it when teachers/professors do that. The least they could do is let everyone know as soon as they do, but no, it's always just a note on the classroom door  - "sorry no class today". Which is bad enough if you live near the university but some of us live far away in the suburbs where the bus goes maybe twice an hour, the ride is long and buses... just aren't a thing where I'd like to sit in. Especially since there's always a huge risk that a kindergarten group will storm it at some point. Nothing against children as such but when there's an ear-shatteringly shrill horde of them stampeding around, listening to absolutely no one, climbing on things etc. I start seriously considering just walking home even if it takes all day. :P

Wait how did I get to this topic from the teachers that fail to let you know class is canceled... going off on tangents is apparently what I'm good at.
Yup, I live far away ;-; but I get a lift to the city in the morning with mum who works in the city- so if I have a cancelled class I'm stuck there until 5.30pm :I which can be useful, but I didnt pack anything to doooooo.
And yes, the buses. I only catch the university-route busses because the other ones are just......so scary.

Aww, that's just not cool. I like how a common reaction to those situations in Anglo countries is just "meh, going to the pub", even if it's like 9 in the morning or something.
At first we were all like "URRRAAAAAAGGGHHH WHY" and frustrated, and then we were like "oh no what if it's an emergency" and then it went back to an exhausted "uuuuuuugghhhhhhhnnnh".
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4576 on: April 20, 2015, 05:36:18 AM »
...I just wanted a sandwich, how did it turn out like this... ;^;

Then I have One Useful Tip for you:

Don't come to Norway.

We are starting the apocalypse early..

Norway's population decreased dramatically after breakfast wrestling deathmatch

oh no what have we become savage beasts? (Or Sandwich Vikings?)
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #4577 on: April 20, 2015, 06:20:43 AM »
Morning is for toasts, [...] eggs, bacon and ham, [...] and so on.
Folks, please. It's a quite well-known fact that people have a lot of different definitions of what should be served for breakfast, but surely a sandwich "some assembly required" would still qualify as availability of sandwiches?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #4578 on: April 20, 2015, 06:27:44 AM »
You win the "least nutritious breakfast alternative" contest 2015. Here's your diploma, it's a lot more nutritious than your breakfast.
Nope. I'm one of the reportedly 10-30% of people in Europe and the U.S. who skip breakfast entirely.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #4579 on: April 20, 2015, 06:40:02 AM »
Actually, I don't think even French royalty ate that way for breakfast.  A cup of café au lait, maybe a croissant or some bread and jam...
Depends which king you're looking at. Louis XIV went even more frugal than that (for breakfast, at least), while Louis XVI's appetite literally got him killed.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4580 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
Where did all my rain clouds go?  :(
I'm now in my last week of school before finals.  I've got 3 to take, not counting English, all at the end of next week, and I've got two group reports due this week.  Crunch time begins now.  I still need to find a place to live over the summer, as well... 

Feeeeeeeegh. Today was the submission date of my design class's branding project. The top student had been up until 4am battling with her logo and broke down crying, everyone had stayed up past 2am last night- I spent all night hand painting my stationary, sobbing whilst quietly humming kpop, and threatening my home printer (it's broken/unpredictable/very poop) and then I finished painting in the car this morning, and glued everything together in the car park X___X
So I ran down to the art school and my feet felt like they were going to snap off, and I walk into the design lounge/class.... Only 7 people showed up.
The teacher was not one of those seven.
She had texted another teacher to come in and tell us that she was away, and that the project would be DUE TOMORROW.  One guy was like "Well...I'm going to the pub." And left XD most people have now gone home to take naps.

AGHGHGHGHGG. So I used the lesson to paint another letterhead page thing :I too bad I'd left the extra ready-to-paint print outs at HOME O__o so I guess I'll just do that at home, and then smuggle them into my portfolio tomorrow morning. Yeah. Hmmm.
And now I have to draw a PINECONE for tomorrow's drawing class, and somehow read an entire novel for English ;___; I left the novel at hoooooome I guess I'll google a summary...
Well, you're not alone.  I always forget to check my email before classes start, and end up being one of about 5 people who show up feeling dumb.  Still, at least we get the emails.  Your teacher should at least do that much, if she's able. 
Oh, and speaking of naps, I took TWO on Friday.  I... I never take naps.  It was so weird. 
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #4581 on: April 20, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
GOGOGOGOGO Eich. You can do eet and we know eet!!!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4582 on: April 20, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
- Is this how the phrase "exciting breakfast" reads over there?

Sure, I think people would agree that it's at least a little bit exciting

- What if I were to use knäckebröd, they'd just break and spray my back with crumbs and I don't know about you but knäckebröd crumbs are the worst imo

Oh, good idea! Sounds like a great incentive to fight harder.

- Fimby no

But.... but Breakfast Champion!!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4583 on: April 20, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
Fimby: I wish I had a witty comeback now but I'm actually just shaking my head here and making whale noises...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4584 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
Unrelated to any of this conversation, I just got back from banging my head against every immobile surface in the house. Why? Because I just saw the front page of the Color Theory class I'm taking. It had an infographic.
An infographic with neon purple and green.
NEON PURPLE AND GREEN.
WITH RED BORDERS AROUND THE BLACK TEXT ON THE PURPLE.
AND WHITE TEXT CROSSING BETWEEN LIGHT PURPLE AND BLACK BACKGROUNDS.
AAAAAUGH!!!
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #4585 on: April 20, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO PUT THIS

But anyway, this is what I think of when people say their art is bad
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4586 on: April 20, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
Unrelated to any of this conversation, I just got back from banging my head against every immobile surface in the house. Why? Because I just saw the front page of the Color Theory class I'm taking. It had an infographic.
NEON PURPLE AND GREEN.
AAAAAUGH!!!

Is it meant to be a bad example?  Like Wired Magazine in the 1990s, when they thought bright orange and hot pink was a nicely eye-catching combo?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4587 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
Sunflower, I really hope so, because it's physically painful to look at. There's no hint of irony though, and it's an online class with a teacher who just got hired... *shudders*
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4588 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
In art class, me and my friend were singing nursery rhymes we couldn't remember and  I started summing them up.
" Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday, died on a Sunday, no much luck."
" Jack and Jill went up the hill and died."

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4589 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »
NEON PURPLE AND GREEN.
AAAAAUGH!!!

....Color Theory? Okay fine I'll give the teacher the benefit of doubt that this isn't a slide design class, but...

I feel your pain. People please you don't have to use the brightest, most saturated default of each color all right next to each other I read somewhere that so many presentations would be improved if everyone just followed the basic rules of heraldry (no colors on colors, no metals on metals, => no neons on neons?) and I have to say I must agree. Frankly, though, knights didn't have the means to paint their shields neon purple, but same concept.

In art class, me and my friend were singing nursery rhymes we couldn't remember and  I started summing them up.
" Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday, died on a Sunday, no much luck."
" Jack and Jill went up the hill and died."

Ah, morbid nursery rhymes. One of my favorites (?) is:
Oranges and lemons,
Say the bells of St. Clement's.

You owe me five farthings,
Say the bells of St. Martin's.

When will you pay me?
Say the bells of Old Bailey.

When I grow rich,
Say the bells of Shoreditch.

When will that be?
Say the bells of Stepney.

I do not know,
Says the great bell of Bow.

Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
(Chip chop, chip chop, the last man's dead.)

Seriously where did those last two lines come from...