Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387762 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4560 on: April 19, 2015, 08:44:48 PM »
My breakfast is most commonly homemade bread, toasted, with butter/Vegemite (or if that's unavailable, Bovril or Marmite). And tea. (No whining about how I could possibly like those horribly salty things, I love salty things. Yes, even the dreaded Marmite. The extremely salty Dutch droppies/licorice are also my favourite, much nicer than the sweet ones.)

I'd prefer bacon, eggs, and mushrooms every day, though. Or pancakes with maple syrup. Or even better, bacon pancakes with maple syrup. And lychees.

Actually, once when we stayed in a hotel due to construction in our house, the breakfast buffet was absolutely divine. Lychees, berries, oranges, all sorts. Homemade jams. Pikelets. Rice pudding. Homemade muffins (oooh so nice). Absolutely brilliant coffee. Porridge. Homemade bread. Also honey from the owner's own bees. I never like honey, but THAT honey I loved. Best week of my life, in breakfast terms. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the owner was Irish ;)
Am notified of private messages via email.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #4561 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »
You know those days when you're just so lazy you procrastinate everything and then you're bored? Yeah that's me right now
That's me this weekend. I did half of the work for everything. xDD So every thing is like "half-done". :P
But I'm going to go ahead and finish my math since I need that. C:
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4562 on: April 19, 2015, 10:32:59 PM »

That would be a suitable choice of breakfast if your name was Louis XIV of Bourbon and you lived in Versailles? Muffins!? Pancakes!!??

Actually, I don't think even French royalty ate that way for breakfast.  A cup of café au lait, maybe a croissant or some bread and jam... 

We Americans are the ones who came up with a breakfast menu that's orange juice or some other fruit, cold cereal and milk (or hot cereal with various sweet/fruity ingredients), eggs and bacon, and/or delicious sweet baked goods, all washed down with coffee or tea.  You haven't lived until you've had blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup for breakfast.  Mmmm.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4563 on: April 19, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
You guys are making me hungry. . .not a good thing, cause I can't get anything you're talking about. (But I want!)
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4564 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
That sounds more like your usual cafe dweller.

They had dedicated cooks. Plus - I decided to look up what cuisine would look like back then and I'm seeing stuff like multliple services of what we consider meals in themselves.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4565 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »
Feeeeeeeegh. Today was the submission date of my design class's branding project. The top student had been up until 4am battling with her logo and broke down crying, everyone had stayed up past 2am last night- I spent all night hand painting my stationary, sobbing whilst quietly humming kpop, and threatening my home printer (it's broken/unpredictable/very poop) and then I finished painting in the car this morning, and glued everything together in the car park X___X
So I ran down to the art school and my feet felt like they were going to snap off, and I walk into the design lounge/class.... Only 7 people showed up.
The teacher was not one of those seven.
She had texted another teacher to come in and tell us that she was away, and that the project would be DUE TOMORROW.  One guy was like "Well...I'm going to the pub." And left XD most people have now gone home to take naps.

AGHGHGHGHGG. So I used the lesson to paint another letterhead page thing :I too bad I'd left the extra ready-to-paint print outs at HOME O__o so I guess I'll just do that at home, and then smuggle them into my portfolio tomorrow morning. Yeah. Hmmm.
And now I have to draw a PINECONE for tomorrow's drawing class, and somehow read an entire novel for English ;___; I left the novel at hoooooome I guess I'll google a summary...

[/School Complaints]

Oooooh is there a breakfast discussion? :D

I prefer savory breakfasts, like buttered toast with tomato, avocado, salt and pepper, and basil or dill depending if I put salami or fish on top. If there's salami or fish. Also balsamic vinegar.
But that's like, the perfect holiday breakfast. On a school day I don't get to have breakfast, and usually have lunch as breakfast, or if I'm at the art school I'll buy a hot chocolate and a chocolate bar for breakfast because the hot foods are still frozen that early in the morning ;m;
^ so healthy.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4566 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:35 AM »
What even is all this breakfasts you guys speak of?!

My breakfast is either
1) Bread with some sort of simple topping
2) Crispbread with some sort of simple topping
3) Some sort of simple cereal with cold milk

I mean, I've been to several not-Norwegian cities and therefore have eaten not-Norwegian breakfasts, but oh my holy cow why isn't it more normal to have exciting breakfasts here in Norway?

I've always disliked breakfasts, so I never eat breakfast in the winter because then it's cold enough for me to survive without it. In the summer i have to eat breakfast every morning because if not I cannot function in the heat (if it's really any heat here..)
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4567 on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:07 AM »
speaking of breakfasts look at this teeny tiny egg frying pan i got for christmas

i named her pandora
you'll know where to find me.

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4568 on: April 20, 2015, 03:09:25 AM »
speaking of breakfasts look at this teeny tiny egg frying pan i got for christmas

i named her pandora

gosh I want a Pandora of my own! It's tiiiinyyy!

Yeah also once every millennium I eat the occasional egg and bacon breakfast.

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4569 on: April 20, 2015, 03:38:48 AM »
OrigamiOwl: I hate it when teachers/professors do that. The least they could do is let everyone know as soon as they do, but no, it's always just a note on the classroom door  - "sorry no class today". Which is bad enough if you live near the university but some of us live far away in the suburbs where the bus goes maybe twice an hour, the ride is long and buses... just aren't a thing where I'd like to sit in. Especially since there's always a huge risk that a kindergarten group will storm it at some point. Nothing against children as such but when there's an ear-shatteringly shrill horde of them stampeding around, listening to absolutely no one, climbing on things etc. I start seriously considering just walking home even if it takes all day. :P

Wait how did I get to this topic from the teachers that fail to let you know class is canceled... going off on tangents is apparently what I'm good at.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4570 on: April 20, 2015, 04:20:20 AM »
Actually, I don't think even French royalty ate that way for breakfast.  A cup of café au lait, maybe a croissant or some bread and jam... 
Missing the point, it was a figure of speech for extravagance, not an actual comparison.

oh my holy cow why isn't it more normal to have exciting breakfasts here in Norway?

We should have like a breakfast wrestling deathmatch. Everyone makes three sandwiches in the morning, then tapes those sandwiches to the back of their shirts/jackets. As they go to work anyone at any time can challenge them to a breakfast wrestle, where the point is to seize one of the sandwiches on the opponents back with force. That way everyone would be committed to improving their vitality so that they won't have to go hungry in the morning/will have a chance at becoming the local breakfast champion.

She had texted another teacher to come in and tell us that she was away, and that the project would be DUE TOMORROW.  One guy was like "Well...I'm going to the pub." And left XD most people have now gone home to take naps.

Aww, that's just not cool. I like how a common reaction to those situations in Anglo countries is just "meh, going to the pub", even if it's like 9 in the morning or something.

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4571 on: April 20, 2015, 04:41:32 AM »
(...)

We should have like a breakfast wrestling deathmatch. Everyone makes three sandwiches in the morning, then tapes those sandwiches to the back of their shirts/jackets. As they go to work anyone at any time can challenge them to a breakfast wrestle, where the point is to seize one of the sandwiches on the opponents back with force. That way everyone would be committed to improving their vitality so that they won't have to go hungry in the morning/will have a chance at becoming the local breakfast champion.

(...)

Oh my what are you even? How do you even think up that?! I'm totally in, but I guess unless it becomes a thing, peeps will be eyeballing me in the streets!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4572 on: April 20, 2015, 04:57:27 AM »

- That's way too exciting a breakfast for me
- Is this how the phrase "exciting breakfast" reads over there?
- What if I were to use knäckebröd, they'd just break and spray my back with crumbs and I don't know about you but knäckebröd crumbs are the worst imo
- Fimby no

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4573 on: April 20, 2015, 05:08:49 AM »
- That's way too exciting a breakfast for me
- Is this how the phrase "exciting breakfast" reads over there?
(...)

- Then you are WEAK (not rly I just really wanted to write it you are supercool)
- NOW IT IS!!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4574 on: April 20, 2015, 05:17:40 AM »
- Then you are WEAK (not rly I just really wanted to write it you are supercool)
- NOW IT IS!!

...I just wanted a sandwich, how did it turn out like this... ;^;