Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387915 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4530 on: April 19, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »
What. You plebs don't eat cake?

For breakfast!? That's...

Breakfast is sandwiches with cheese and cucumber (preferably the bread should be knäckebröd) and several cups of coffee. *nod nod*

Hear hear, open sandwich with cheese or jam.

What kind of cheese do you use?

I mean, this interesting. We have a lot of these knäckebröd at the store but I have never seen anyone buy them. Let alone use them for breakfast. I assumed they were used as canapés or hors-d'ouvre for receptions.

Either gouda, Jarlsberg or brown cheese.

If you served crisp bread canapes to a Scandinavian they would smile and secretly think that you're crazy.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4531 on: April 19, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »
Well then. I should try that at some point. It sounds rather delightful. And I could use a break from the routine of bread and peanut butter and jam, or eggs and ham and beans, or oatmeal with dry fruits - usually with coffee or tea.

This then leads to the next question - what is served for canapés if you don't do little crispy bread things?
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4532 on: April 19, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
This then leads to the next question - what is served for canapés if you don't do little crispy bread things?

I've never had a canape, but bread with prawns or eggs seem popular.

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #4533 on: April 19, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »

Surely you jest. Sandwiches clearly belong to lunch.

Morning is for toasts, muffins, pastries, eggs, bacon and ham, potatoes, pancakes, smoothies and so on.
Toast, yes. MUFFINSOHYESSOMANYMUFFINS, pastries, yes, bacon(blech) and ham, yes, potatoes? pancakes yes, smooties, I would prefer not. well, actually, smooties are fine. Shakes are a nono. My parents, every morning have  a disgusting shake that they make in our INSANELY loud blender.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4534 on: April 19, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
Toast, yes. MUFFINSOHYESSOMANYMUFFINS, pastries, yes, bacon(blech) and ham, yes, potatoes? pancakes yes, smooties, I would prefer not. well, actually, smooties are fine. Shakes are a nono. My parents, every morning have  a disgusting shake that they make in our INSANELY loud blender.

That... sounds very familier.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4535 on: April 19, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »

Bacon is love. Bacon is life.

I mean, proper bacon. Not that cheap stuff that often peddled at the store. The nice thick one - that's the stuff.

I have the same smoothie situation at home. Parents feeling bad about their weight and trying to compensate with more liquidy stuff in the morning. Pah!

@ Fimbulvarg

Canapés / hors-d'oeuvre are rather diverse so it's hard to find something that captures its essence, but here's a pic from the googles.

It's usually a combo of cheese, spreads, spicy sauces plus cold meats and vegetables on bread. There are more fancy things, such a vol-au-vents or more expansive cheeses. Usually served at parties. The lowest kind is stuff like cream cheeses and sweet perkin pickles on soda biscuits.

Similar to tea sandwiches, which are a selection of small, crust-less sandwiches, scones, and desserts served with tea in the fashion of English Tea Time.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4536 on: April 19, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »
I guess the closest equivalent to canapes that we have is hákarl with a shot of Black Death... Much agreed with that bit about bacon. Bacon is life but it has to be the proper kind, living in the UK for a year ruined store bacon for me for life. I still dream about that bacon.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4537 on: April 19, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
@ Fimbulvarg

Canapés / hors-d'oeuvre are rather diverse so it's hard to find something that captures its essence, but here's a pic from the googles.

I assumed it was something similar to a Scandinavian koldtbord. Canapes are a thing over here too but they're usually associated with decadence and the noveau rich.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4538 on: April 19, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
I guess the closest equivalent to canapes that we have is hákarl with a shot of Black Death... Much agreed with that bit about bacon. Bacon is life but it has to be the proper kind, living in the UK for a year ruined store bacon for me for life. I still dream about that bacon.

I have to admit that this sounds terrifying.

Eating fermented shark and strong spirits sounds like trying to wash away awful with less awful.

I assumed it was something similar to a Scandinavian koldtbord. Canapes are a thing over here too but they're usually associated with decadence and the noveau rich.

I am all about bourgeois decadence.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4539 on: April 19, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
I vote for a big cup of coffee/tea for breakfast...and a boiled egg on sunday.
I ate canapes only at vernissages and other fancy cocktail receptions, too much fuss to prepare them regularly...
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4540 on: April 19, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
Oh yes. They are very much something you do at special occasions. Like parties or receptions.
It's not something that's eaten on a daily basis. As you say - way too much work for very little payout.

Though I have to say - coffee and tea is hardly breakfast. D:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4541 on: April 19, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
I have to admit that this sounds terrifying.

Eating fermented shark and strong spirits sounds like trying to wash away awful with less awful.

You have hit the nail on its head, only the thing is... brennivín tastes equally awful, so you're kind of stuck in a horrible auto-repeating loop trying to kill one evil with the other. Ah, fun times.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #4542 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
I vote for a big cup of coffee/tea for breakfast...and a boiled egg on sunday.
I ate canapes only at vernissages and other fancy cocktail receptions, too much fuss to prepare them regularly...
My breakfasts are only bits of any food. It doesn't really matter at this point, so long as I don't get bathroom problems, or, really hungry. I'm not really *that* picky when it comes to eating. Unless otherwise stated. :P

But breakfast is just anything I can eat in the morning for me.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4543 on: April 19, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
Oh yes. They are very much something you do at special occasions. Like parties or receptions.
It's not something that's eaten on a daily basis. As you say - way too much work for very little payout.

Though I have to say - coffee and tea is hardly breakfast. D:

Even if there´s sugar in it? :D It is enough for me on most days. I used to eat muesli but I feel better without.
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4544 on: April 19, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
You have hit the nail on its head, only the thing is... brennivín tastes equally awful, so you're kind of stuck in a horrible auto-repeating loop trying to kill one evil with the other. Ah, fun times.

Fighting fire with fire as they call it. I kinda want to try this hakarl thing now, to see what the fuzz is all about.

Even if there´s sugar in it? :D It is enough for me on most days. I used to eat muesli but I feel better without.

You win the "least nutritious breakfast alternative" contest 2015. Here's your diploma, it's a lot more nutritious than your breakfast.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:20:00 PM by Fimbulvarg »