Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387264 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4500 on: April 17, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »
As long as it's not jumping at everyone's eyes and killing bandwidth dead. :P

I did. Thank you. :) Drew it on my Galaxy Note. I'll never again can get a smaller phone without a stylus. -.-;

Hello fellow german. You drew your avatar yourself, my compliments. I had to borrow from lenny's catspaw.

*waves over to sunflower: german media are talking about California draught again. Eh, was a week since I actively noticed though XD
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Stefanyeah

« Reply #4501 on: April 17, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
Hello fellow german. You drew your avatar yourself, my compliments. I had to borrow from lenny's catspaw.

*waves*
Hallo.

Thank you. *curtseys*
I'm just a showoff who wants to parade her little sketchings and scribblings around. :P
:germany: native
:uk: fluent
:netherlands: rusty

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #4502 on: April 17, 2015, 02:55:49 PM »
*waves*
Hallo.

Thank you. *curtseys*
I'm just a showoff who wants to parade her little sketchings and scribblings around. :P

hehe nothing wrong with that. I think in here I mostly show off language skills if that even is possible XD

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Stefanyeah

« Reply #4503 on: April 17, 2015, 03:07:29 PM »
hehe nothing wrong with that. I think in here I mostly show off language skills if that even is possible XD

Your signature is most impressive already.

The multi-linguality that people show off in here is what got me most excited about this board and tempted me the most to join. Because languages! *waves-hands-about-and-squeals*
:germany: native
:uk: fluent
:netherlands: rusty

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4504 on: April 18, 2015, 02:40:31 AM »
I bet you're right.  In poetry, primroses are always pale yellow.  Cultivated, they're available in nearly every color of the rainbow.  I had no idea they could self-seed and naturalize... but plants probably behave differently in places like Europe where it actually rains more than twice a year.   :-\

Now that I thought about it I think these are hybrides too which only in colour resemble their wild ancestor.
And you are right, they like slightly damp shaded soil. Which plants grow wild in your gardens? Or has everything to be planted?

Those are pretty. Are they hard to grow?

No, I think not. I never care for them in my garden and they just seed themselves. They use to be popular pot-plants in spring too.

Outlawing it might be typically German (though I still wouldn't want to bet on that), but unsurprisingly, lakes elsewhere are no less prone to having their ecosystem wiped out by the excess nutrients.

The Landesbund für Vogelschutz in Bayern e.V. says one piece of bread per grandmother and grandchild is okay :) if they don´t throw it in the water 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:45:24 AM by Viisikielinenkantele »
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #4505 on: April 18, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
The Landesbund für Vogelschutz in Bayern e.V. says one piece of bread per grandmother and grandchild is okay :)
... I guess that "solving" the problem by requiring you to check which generation the ducks belong to beforehand is very typically German. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4506 on: April 18, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
... I guess that "solving" the problem by requiring you to check which generation the ducks belong to beforehand is very typically German. >:D

Not the ducks, the feeders.  :P
http://www.lbv.de/ratgeber/vogelschutz/voegel-fuettern/enten-fuettern.html

I think it´s typical german to write whole articles about this topic "if, when and what to feed the birds" (and to actually google for something like that -*goes hiding*  :-[)
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4507 on: April 18, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
Not the ducks, the feeders.  :P
http://www.lbv.de/ratgeber/vogelschutz/voegel-fuettern/enten-fuettern.html

I think it´s typical german to write whole articles about this topic "if, when and what to feed the birds" (and to actually google for something like that -*goes hiding*  :-[)

Heh, that's interesting. My grandma used to keep stale crackers so that we could go throw them at the birds in the Spokane waterfront park whenever we came to visit. It was fun.

(Stel bookmarks the artical so next time she needs to "analyse" an artical for class it doesn't have to be some random thing.)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #4508 on: April 18, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »
Heh, that's interesting. My grandma used to keep stale crackers so that we could go throw them at the birds in the Spokane waterfront park whenever we came to visit. It was fun.

(Stel bookmarks the artical so next time she needs to "analyse" an artical for class it doesn't have to be some random thing.)

If you need short articles you can always use the news from
www.tagesschau.de

or if you want it really easy, try the bidoc archives in simple german. Though they are mostly about inclusion and enhancement. But mostly very easy to read while trying to cover scientific topics.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4509 on: April 19, 2015, 02:07:48 AM »
Ugh. It's two AM and I'm in a hotel, and *just* as I was falling asleep, the freakin fire alarm goes off because apparently a dumpster caught fire outside the building and so everyone had to evacuate and stand outside breathing smoky dumpster air..... -_-

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4510 on: April 19, 2015, 02:11:23 AM »
Ugh. It's two AM and I'm in a hotel, and *just* as I was falling asleep, the freakin fire alarm goes off because apparently a dumpster caught fire outside the building and so everyone had to evacuate and stand outside breathing smoky dumpster air..... -_-

Aw, yuck! 
Are you on vacation somewhere?  Or is the hotel overflow college student housing? 

Either way, sorry to hear that.  It's so disturbing to have your sleep broken into (especially after the week you had).
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4511 on: April 19, 2015, 02:21:09 AM »

Aaauf, that's awful! Definitely worse than the time my school actually caught fire, we were glad for that, but sleep disruption? The nerve of that dumpster. How dare it.
Here's hoping the rest of your night isn't so toasty... Agreed with Sunflower, that's awful especially given the way the beforetimes have gone.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4512 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:07 AM »
Aw, yuck! 
Are you on vacation somewhere?  Or is the hotel overflow college student housing? 

Either way, sorry to hear that.  It's so disturbing to have your sleep broken into (especially after the week you had).

Went to Long Island for the weekend to see a musical at my sister's school with my mom and stepdad. It is kind of like a vacation for me. I had felt so happy for going to bed before 2 - and I had just tuned out my mom's snoring. :/

Aaauf, that's awful! Definitely worse than the time my school actually caught fire, we were glad for that, but sleep disruption? The nerve of that dumpster. How dare it.
Here's hoping the rest of your night isn't so toasty... Agreed with Sunflower, that's awful especially given the way the beforetimes have gone.

Heheh.
I heard someone say that hotel staff should give everyone free breakfast or something for waking us all up. They just now let us back in, after more than twenty minutes standing out in the cold, blegh.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4513 on: April 19, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »
the freakin fire alarm goes off because apparently a dumpster caught fire outside the building

Perfect time for a hobo barbecue.

I heard someone say that hotel staff should give everyone free breakfast or something for waking us all up. They just now let us back in, after more than twenty minutes standing out in the cold, blegh.

Well, in the hotel's defence: someone would probably demand free breakfast if they weren't waked up because their lives were endangered by faulty fire evacuation routines.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4514 on: April 19, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
oh man that sucks

the fire alarm went off in the middle of the mockingjay midnight premiere I went to, but at least we were all awake. Even if it was freezing outside
you'll know where to find me.