Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410140 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4470 on: April 16, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
I had a final exam in England that lasted only 1.5 hour. It was all kinds of hectic. Apparently they expect you to just burst forth with all your amassed knowledge like some kind of geeky Ussain Bolt.

I took AP Literature last year and for that exam we had to write three full-length essays in two hours. For AP Art History it was six mini-essays and two longer essays in the same amount of time. :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4471 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
Current art school student here, but I'm not exactly sure what goes into a portfolio either- I'm supposed to be making an art/design portfolio for employment.... >_>
Are you making a portfolio to get into art school, or finding a job after art school? If it's the first option, thennnnn I would suggest picking the pieces that show your style and ability the most, with quality and quantity because they might be looking for enthusiasm and passion/determination etc as well as experience and expertise. I would think maybe choosing pieces that can show your range of...art...
I'm not really sure actually, heh. (I didn't need a portfolio for my art school, because I went straight after doing art at college <_<)
BUT! I'm sure you can find lots of way more helpful pages about this stuff on the internet- because there are lots of artists on the net who would have written about these things...I hope o__o

Art schooler here! I think what art colleges most want to see is variety. I wouldn't say you need a /whole/ lot of drawings from life, just some scattered in there (I had like... four?) - and it might be good to have both still lives and figure drawings, again, for variety. Varying the medium, too, is bound to make a school more interested in you, because you're showing that you're able to use several mediums, or ar least willing enough to experiment with several mediums. And vary the subject matter too, of course. And it depends on the college, too - some are more interested in technical skills and some prefer to see creativity and a broad range of subject matter. As long as there's some of both.

A portfolio to get into art school, thankfully not the other one yet. :) But thanks for the advice, both of you! *starts digging around for other art supplies*

I took AP Literature last year and for that exam we had to write three full-length essays in two hours. For AP Art History it was six mini-essays and two longer essays in the same amount of time. :P

Oh goodness APs & timed essays yes. Language & composition was...not fun. I have no idea how an essay written in 15-20 minutes gives one an accurate assessment of your comprehension of a subject, but sadly standardized tests seem to be solidly engrained in the U.S. education system...

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4472 on: April 16, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
Also, why is crowdfunding illegal in Finland?  Seems like a bit of an odd thing to ban to me.
According to what's being explained to non-speakers of Finnish, it's a piece of legalese that's not actually aiming at the Internet but had been passed to curb people collecting money in person for made-up charitable causes - that must've been a rather common fraud back then.

It forbids people to collect money unless there's an unconditional, verifiable quid pro quo for it. Crowdfunding like Minnas Indiegogo campaigns supposedly fails to qualify because of the possibility that the set minimum amount is not reached (in which case the money gets returned, or possibly not even collected in the first place, but the legalese apparently doesn't recognise that as an exception to the general rule).

Patreon and the like may not be outright forbidden, but in order to make them legal, Minna would have to produce something that's made available exclusively to the patrons, and then the Finnish law could still get it in its head that the value of that whatever has to be in proper relation to the money paid - which limits the percentage the artist will have as net gain afterwards, thus thwarting the purpose of running with Patreon.

Edit to add: Of course you can still collect for charity, but you need to register with the authorities for that, which is apparently more red tape than a one-(wo)man outfit wants to battle for the prospective benefit.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:48:28 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4473 on: April 16, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
I had a final exam in England that lasted only 1.5 hour. It was all kinds of hectic. Apparently they expect you to just burst forth with all your amassed knowledge like some kind of geeky Ussain Bolt.

That sounds awful

*feels a bit panicky just thinking about it*

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4474 on: April 16, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Hey Mélusine, your avatar is one of the creepiest things I've seen so far in this forum (no offense :P). It gives a "I'll kill you in your sleep" sort of vibe. Who is this mysterious woman in black?

Haha, I was wondering the same thing! My impression was so much "I'll kill you in your sleep," maybe, but "I'll seduce all your secrets out of you." 

Do explain, please!   :)

Don't panic : it's not me !
One of my history of arts teachers told us about the beginning of photography and Modigliani. (And Klimt, and Rothko, and...) It's a photograph of Jeanne Hébuterne, who was the (What's the name for a not-married-woman-who-live-as-she-was-wife ?) of the painter Amedeo Modigliani. I'm fascinated by old photographies in black and white, for example the photograph of Gloria Swainston by Edward Steichen. (Okay, she's not very smiling too, but that lace !)
https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/gloria-swanson-by-edward-steichen/
BUT if it's so disturbing I will find something else ^^° *Try to find something. Hate herself on photo. Argh*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4475 on: April 16, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »
BUT if it's so disturbing I will find something else ^^° *Try to find something. Hate herself on photo. Argh*
I wouldn't call it disturbing. More like she's daring someone to come with a snide remark. The wiki article has a photo that's just a tad less imposing by the way.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4476 on: April 16, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
I'm fascinated by old photographies in black and white, for example the photograph of Gloria Swainston by Edward Steichen. (Okay, she's not very smiling too, but that lace !)
Well, the earliest daguerreotypes required the people to stay motionless for 10-15m of exposure in full sunlight, you won't find many people who were able to maintain a smile or whatever non-blank facial expression for that long. It's not a coincidence that people are so often shown sitting or leaning on something in old photographs, sometimes their heads were actually being held in position by sort of a tripod behind their back.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #4477 on: April 16, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
(What's the name for a not-married-woman-who-live-as-she-was-wife ?

I'd prefer to call her paramour just because I like the word, but maybe I'm kind of misusing it?

And personally I don't find the photo anywhere near disturbing or creepy :D It looks very elegant and stylish to me.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4478 on: April 16, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »
And personally I don't find the photo anywhere near disturbing or creepy :D It looks very elegant and stylish to me.

This! I just thought it was really cool :3
YEET

Mélusine

« Reply #4479 on: April 16, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
Well, the earliest daguerreotypes required the people to stay motionless for 10-15m of exposure in full sunlight, you won't find many people who were able to maintain a smile or whatever non-blank facial expression for that long. It's not a coincidence that people are so often shown sitting or leaning on something in old photographs, sometimes their heads were actually being held in position by sort of a tripod behind their back.
I was considering "Could I let my historian part speak ?" on the subject, but you're faster than me :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4480 on: April 16, 2015, 04:04:04 PM »
One of my history of arts teachers told us about the beginning of photography and Modigliani. (And Klimt, and Rothko, and...) It's a photograph of Jeanne Hébuterne, who was the (What's the name for a not-married-woman-who-live-as-she-was-wife ?) of the painter Amedeo Modigliani. I'm fascinated by old photographies in black and white, for example the photograph of Gloria Swainston by Edward Steichen. (Okay, she's not very smiling too, but that lace !)
https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/gloria-swanson-by-edward-steichen/
No, please don't change your avatar!
I like your photo -- I find it intriguing, especially now that I know the story behind it.  (And I meant to say "NOT so much 'I'll kill you in your sleep'..."  :-[)

Now, that Gloria Swanson photo really looks like "I'll seduce your secrets out of you..."

As for Jeanne Hébuterne's role in Modigliani's life, you could say lover, mistress, or paramour -- or nowadays people would just say partner.  (Less colorful, but less judgmental.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #4481 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »

No need to change your avatar! I'm so sorry if I made you have the impression that I hated it. I don't, I just find it a little creepy and mysterious, and fascinating now that I know the story. And old photos are the best. :)

These little details are incredible. But I remember seeing some old photos with the couple smiling because they couldn't keep a serious face! It was reallly cute.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

« Reply #4482 on: April 16, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
These little details are incredible. But I remember seeing some old photos with the couple smiling because they couldn't keep a serious face! It was reallly cute.
By "old photos" we mean here the years 1910-1920 :)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4483 on: April 16, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »

Ack, I get to take the AP Lit test in a few weeks. And the US History one, which if I remember correctly is a DBQ (document-based question), FRQ (free response question), and three SAQs (short answer question... college board is quite fond of acronyms). Sooo many essays, and that's not even counting the multiple choice questions. At least this year they've changed the multiple choice questions on the history test from content-based questions to more skill-based questions, so that's good. (I like these questions better but apparently everyone else finds them harder???)

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #4484 on: April 16, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
By "old photos" we mean here the years 1910-1920 :)

Well, the photos with the smiling couple are even older then. I was refering to these photographies here:

Apparently, they were taken during the Victorian Era.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."