Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387213 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4455 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:16 AM »
I wanted to leave a quick floral tribute here for you before I go to work.

(I just had to picture them before they wither)

Today will be a long day for me, lots of work and a orchestra rehearsal directly afterwards, so no time later. Well, if and only if the major database-changing I´m anticipating takes place today, then I will have lots of time staring at the progress bar and then I might check in here...  ;D
Those are pretty. Are they hard to grow?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4456 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
Going in on so little sleep is kinda scary.  I really want a good grade...

you can do it! Go Eich go!

The test ended 13:30 and I left at 12:00, and now I'm not sure whether this is a Very Good or a Very Bad sign

some day, you might get used to that, and then start thinking "wow, that test was damn long" when you finish only (?) 15-20 minutes early*. In my experience t's probably a Good Sign if you feel confident, but that depends a bit on the form of the test (If it was a "write whatever" kind of test, it might be either)

*[edit: for a normal-sized exam I mean. how do you guys even have 5-hour things]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:26:02 AM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4457 on: April 16, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
*[edit: for a normal-sized exam I mean. how do you guys even have 5-hour things]

What is a normal-sized exam???

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4458 on: April 16, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
8 hours if you ever decide to study social science.

At some point during the exam you enter a state of near-delirium and stop fretting about time and space.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:00:25 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4459 on: April 16, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
8 hours if you ever decide to study social science.
At some point during the exam you enter a state of near-delirium and stop fretting about time and space.

True. Also, this wasn't actually an exam, just an all-day test sort of

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4460 on: April 16, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Well this thread grew rapidly since yesterday, so a few things to say.

I used to find three hour exams taxing, at five hours plus I would just go to sleep.  I know that I can because I remember sleeping through exams when I was at school, noone thought to wake me up.

For those talking about avatars, I've been meaning to scan a picture Chizu drew of me and use it as my avvy for a while, maybe some day...

Also, why is crowdfunding illegal in Finland?  Seems like a bit of an odd thing to ban to me.

P__

« Reply #4461 on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »
myeah, I guess 3 hours would be the upper limit of "normal" exam length. Then you have "long" (or "very long") exams; and if it lasts longer than one morning or afternoon, it can be classified as either "whaaaat" or "torture". Of course, YMMV (as Fimby indicates :o )
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4462 on: April 16, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
myeah, I guess 3 hours would be the upper limit of "normal" exam length. Then you have "long" (or "very long") exams; and if it lasts longer than one morning or afternoon, it can be classified as either "whaaaat" or "torture". Of course, YMMV (as Fimby indicates :o )

Think of it as a composite test: if you can't mobilise what you've learnt while under duress you haven't truly learned anything at all.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4463 on: April 16, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
In university, for me, something between 1h and 4h. (And, one time, 4h the morning and 3h the afternoon. I just remember that we were no more able to hold a pen in the end of the afternoon.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #4464 on: April 16, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
Hey Mélusine, your avatar is one of the creepiest things I've seen so far in this forum (no offense :P). It gives a "I'll kill you in your sleep" sort of vibe. Who is this mysterious woman in black?
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #4465 on: April 16, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
I had a 5 hour Spanish test today, and it felt like I was doing pretty good but like. I finished 1.5 hour before it was over?? The test ended 13:30 and I left at 12:00, and now I'm not sure whether this is a Very Good or a Very Bad sign

I bet you're fine. I tend to have the opposite problem in which I go happily(?) about my business doing the test, look up, and suddenly notice that I am the last person in the room. Instant panic sets in and I rush through the rest of it. The pattern never changes, even when I know the material. /Le sigh....  I've always been jealous of the people who finished early.
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4466 on: April 16, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »
Yes, primroses, but not wild, only escaped. We have lots of them in our garden and they just seed itself. This is one of the two biggest bushes. (I think some of the others could be actual wild ones, they use to have yellow flowers, I think?)

I bet you're right.  In poetry, primroses are always pale yellow.  Cultivated, they're available in nearly every color of the rainbow.  I had no idea they could self-seed and naturalize... but plants probably behave differently in places like Europe where it actually rains more than twice a year.   :-\
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4467 on: April 16, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
Hey Mélusine, your avatar is one of the creepiest things I've seen so far in this forum (no offense :P).  Who is this mysterious woman in black?

Haha, I was wondering the same thing! My impression was so much "I'll kill you in your sleep," maybe, but "I'll seduce all your secrets out of you." 

Do explain, please!   :)

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4468 on: April 16, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »

...I didn't even know there were (written) exams that lasted less than 5 hours .-.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4469 on: April 16, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »
...I didn't even know there were (written) exams that lasted less than 5 hours .-.

I had a final exam in England that lasted only 1.5 hour. It was all kinds of hectic. Apparently they expect you to just burst forth with all your amassed knowledge like some kind of geeky Ussain Bolt.