Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387905 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4425 on: April 15, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
Maybe. Now to hope this year's Närcon won't get the same heat wave as the last one because I would die, perhaps literally.

Sounds like a yes to me :3
Wait, Närcon is in Sweden. Are you some kind of cosplaying nomad?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4426 on: April 15, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
Sounds like a yes to me :3
Wait, Närcon is in Sweden. Are you some kind of cosplaying nomad?

Yes! In fact yes. At the moment there are no cons in Iceland, so either you have to travel to one or make your own.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4427 on: April 15, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »
I know Minna seems to avoid the concept of donations but I wonder if she could be persuaded to consider something like Patreon. It's basically a patronage/subscription crowdfunding system where you pay a monthly fee to an artist and receive small returns like... she could give people pages in pdf format and various drafts of older pages.

Then again it's probably considered crowdfunding under Finnish law.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4428 on: April 15, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »
I know Minna seems to avoid the concept of donations but I wonder if she could be persuaded to consider something like Patreon. It's basically a patronage/subscription crowdfunding system where you pay a monthly fee to an artist and receive small returns like... she could give people pages in pdf format and various drafts of older pages.

Then again it's probably considered crowdfunding under Finnish law.

As of 2014, Patreon was still illegal in Finland -- at least according to the "crazily rich" thread:
http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=220.msg12534#msg12534
Bummer.

It would be interesting to see if the Finnish Parliament ever takes up the issue.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #4429 on: April 15, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »
Seems like a thing that might just get buried under other stuff and may one day pass if people just decide to get working on it.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #4430 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:51 PM »
Who likes randomly changing their profile pic, apparently I do...
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4431 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
Who likes randomly changing their profile pic, apparently I do...
cute deer, Oh Deer.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #4432 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »

And here's some ravens on the university roof.

I love that last one!!

So I've never gotten on this thread because, you know, everyone's always in the middle of a conversation, but then I figured it's gotta be like double dutch, right? You just jump in and hope for the best? So hello everyone. How's the life?
I just moved, so for once I have something to keep me busy during the break as I adjust to my new surroundings. Huzzah!
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #4433 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »
I love that last one!!

So I've never gotten on this thread because, you know, everyone's always in the middle of a conversation, but then I figured it's gotta be like double dutch, right? You just jump in and hope for the best? So hello everyone. How's the life?
I just moved, so for once I have something to keep me busy during the break as I adjust to my new surroundings. Huzzah!

moving is always fun.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4434 on: April 15, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
So, people who are going to art school/ have gone to art school/ are maybe going to art school, I need your help. Specifically, portfolio stuff. More specifically, what goes into a portfolio. I get a certain point of "have a bunch of technical pieces" (observation and whatnot is important) and "have a bunch of creative pieces" but after working on not nearly enough pieces I'm kind of... lost/ overwhelmed right now. If ever I'm going to default to "more still lives." Any advice/pointers/random tidbits?

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #4435 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
Moving is awesome!  (And I think I'll jump in too, since BlackJazz just joined the conversation.)  It can be hard, but think of all the new things you'll get to live with.  A new zip code!  New address!  New neighbors!  Also, new school/friends?  I was pretty young when my family moved, so I haven't had to deal with much of the hard part, just the new, interesting stuff. 

So what made you decide to move Blackjazz?  It was job related for my family.

Mithrysc:  Unfortunately, I don't know much about art school, because I'm working on an engineering degree at the moment.  Best of luck to you though!  I hope everything gets sorted out.
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #4436 on: April 15, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »
Haha right now my life is in the biggest state of flux you could imagine. Ever since I graduated I've been living like a nomad, living first with my grandmother, then my parents, various friends in between, and now with my sister and her little family. I spent this whole time doing volunteer stuff, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, and I still don't know! I moved to increase my job prospects and so the search begins again.

Here's hoping I have a job and my own apartment by mid-May!!
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #4437 on: April 15, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
Haha right now my life is in the biggest state of flux you could imagine. Ever since I graduated I've been living like a nomad, living first with my grandmother, then my parents, various friends in between, and now with my sister and her little family. I spent this whole time doing volunteer stuff, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, and I still don't know! I moved to increase my job prospects and so the search begins again.

you can do it!

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #4438 on: April 15, 2015, 11:12:19 PM »

Good job hunting to you!  And also, if you're looking for something to set yourself apart on a resume, remember those service hours!  "Free work experience" is what my dad calls them.  They'll show your work ethic, and that you've been keeping yourself busy, both things that potential employers might look for in an application.
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4439 on: April 15, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »
So, people who are going to art school/ have gone to art school/ are maybe going to art school, I need your help. Specifically, portfolio stuff. More specifically, what goes into a portfolio. I get a certain point of "have a bunch of technical pieces" (observation and whatnot is important) and "have a bunch of creative pieces" but after working on not nearly enough pieces I'm kind of... lost/ overwhelmed right now. If ever I'm going to default to "more still lives." Any advice/pointers/random tidbits?
Current art school student here, but I'm not exactly sure what goes into a portfolio either- I'm supposed to be making an art/design portfolio for employment.... >_>
Are you making a portfolio to get into art school, or finding a job after art school? If it's the first option, thennnnn I would suggest picking the pieces that show your style and ability the most, with quality and quantity because they might be looking for enthusiasm and passion/determination etc as well as experience and expertise. I would think maybe choosing pieces that can show your range of...art...
I'm not really sure actually, heh. (I didn't need a portfolio for my art school, because I went straight after doing art at college <_<)
BUT! I'm sure you can find lots of way more helpful pages about this stuff on the internet- because there are lots of artists on the net who would have written about these things...I hope o__o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:17:55 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: