Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411220 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »
Ah. I've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul myself, mostly because it has that amazing vintage look. The problem though is that I have absolutely 0 musical ability - I tried to learn how to play the saxophone back when I was 8 but, well, it was not to be.

I'm considering learning to play some basic instrument though. Preferably something that can be taken around easily, like a small banjo or an ocarina.
Yeah, that's pretty much why I keep my Fender around.  It's very pretty.  Have you considered the mandolin?
Feel free to PM.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2014, 06:40:54 AM »
I'm considering learning to play some basic instrument though. Preferably something that can be taken around easily, like a small banjo or an ocarina.

I vote for the ocarina! I have STL Ocarina's "Zelda Ocarina" and I simply love it. I took lessons first for flute and then for recorder for 12 years when I was younger and allways longed for some instrument I could carry easily with me and play where I wanted without having to worry about weather conditions or cleaning up the instrument afterwards. Now I have my lovely pocket size ceramic wonder that I can easily take with me when I wander in forest and play to my heart's content =)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »
Ocarina! Hehe or a kazoo ;P

Heh, I was about to put this in the Goodnight Thread, but it's not actually a goodnight post....
I just feel the need to mention that this hotel room is soooooo ugly (brown, gold, lights around the mirror, 70's inspired) it's so bad that me and my sister have decided to watch a bunch of Supernatural in here X'D
IT'S. THAT. HIDEOUS. (I swear the design and decor would probably earn a solitary tear from anyone who likes art...so I'll spare you a photo. For your own safety.)
Pro: It has free wifi though, so YAY!
Con: But....this duvet smells like a dog ;__;
Pro: Bed is very very bouncy
Con: I'm not a jump-on-bed person so the mattress cannot unlock its potential XP

Any hideous-hotel tips? X'D Had a horror-hotel-decor experience?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »

I gave my friend a kazoo for his birthday once. That was really great. Someone should start a band with weird instruments like that.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »
I gave my friend a kazoo for his birthday once. That was really great. Someone should start a band with weird instruments like that.

My sister had a purple one, but it broke :(
I think that there are some tunes out there that would sound fantastic performed by a kazoo band:
Game of thrones theme
Let it go
Harry Potter theme
ACDC
ABBA
Dance Macabre
Dr Who theme
Sherlock theme
Etc
Etc

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
My sister had a purple one, but it broke :(
I think that there are some tunes out there that would sound fantastic performed by a kazoo band:
Game of thrones theme
Let it go
Harry Potter theme
ACDC
ABBA
Dance Macabre
Dr Who theme
Sherlock theme
Etc
Etc

This just has to exist.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »
Have you considered the mandolin?

No, but that would also be cool. Not sure I've ever seen one in any local shops though. Now that I think about it a lyre would also be cool and original.

I vote for the ocarina! I have STL Ocarina's "Zelda Ocarina" and I simply love it. I took lessons first for flute and then for recorder for 12 years when I was younger and allways longed for some instrument I could carry easily with me and play where I wanted without having to worry about weather conditions or cleaning up the instrument afterwards. Now I have my lovely pocket size ceramic wonder that I can easily take with me when I wander in forest and play to my heart's content =)
I actually have an ocarina, but it's a cheap plastic contraption made in Taiwan. Nothing awesome and authentic like the one you linked to. I would love to be able to play some good old Zelda ocarina tunes in the woods though.

I suppose it would be possible to play the kazoo as accompaniment to other instruments. I only know one song with kazoo in it though.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
But you can put kazoo into whatever song you like. I played kazoo when we had a music performance at a summer meet of the Finnish Tolkien Society and the song about A Merry Old Inn needed some funny accompaniment ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »
Well...                     

Joe Penna.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
Well...                     

Joe Penna.

I suppose really talented people can do anything even with the simplest tools. Like this guy.

And as for the Dredd remake I really liked that one...

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:19 AM »
My son started reading SSSS yesterday and seems to be interested in it. Hooray! I left it open on my laptop so he'll remember to continue reading when he comes from school today ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Crestlinger

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
http://acidsquirrel.com/post/58190
Coke's in Iceland now. With apparently legit names.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »
My son started reading SSSS yesterday and seems to be interested in it. Hooray! I left it open on my laptop so he'll remember to continue reading when he comes from school today ;)

Funny, I'm currently trying to get my mom into it. I think she likes it, but we have so little time for reading it's hard to say. Also, she's easily annoyed and every time we get to a part that's even slightly dark she goes "what the heck!?" On a more positive note, she appreciates the sense of humor.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
Funny, I'm currently trying to get my mom into it. I think she likes it, but we have so little time for reading it's hard to say. Also, she's easily annoyed and every time we get to a part that's even slightly dark she goes "what the heck!?" On a more positive note, she appreciates the sense of humor.

Heh, the first time my mum saw aRTD it was the page where Ville and Puppy are fighting while Hannu dies in Tuonela.....out of context that page would seem pretty weird ;__; she was like "What the hell? What?" She tried reading aRTD later while I was out once, she said "it's nice, but a bit slow for me" she's more into really fast-paced stuff. Yet she still watches the first Star Trek film, TO THE END?! The only way I could convince her to read SSSS (she's not a comic person) would be to convince her that it's similar to Star Trek hehe ;P

OH MY GOSSSSHHHH I was just at the Art Cafeteria and there was a guy in front of me in the line with AMAZING GOLD EMIL HAIR but it was tied back into a teeny tiny bun and and and there were SPARKLES YES THERE WERE. He wasn't from Sweden though, he was Norwegian, which is JUST AS AMAZINGGGG AAAAGGGHHHFGHJKL *mutates from sparkle over-exposure* ...h..hjelp....meg..... ;___;

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »
Heh, the first time my mum saw aRTD it was the page where Ville and Puppy are fighting while Hannu dies in Tuonela.....out of context that page would seem pretty weird ;__; she was like "What the hell? What?" She tried reading aRTD later while I was out once, she said "it's nice, but a bit slow for me" she's more into really fast-paced stuff. Yet she still watches the first Star Trek film, TO THE END?! The only way I could convince her to read SSSS (she's not a comic person) would be to convince her that it's similar to Star Trek hehe ;P

OH MY GOSSSSHHHH I was just at the Art Cafeteria and there was a guy in front of me in the line with AMAZING GOLD EMIL HAIR but it was tied back into a teeny tiny bun and and and there were SPARKLES YES THERE WERE. He wasn't from Sweden though, he was Norwegian, which is JUST AS AMAZINGGGG AAAAGGGHHHFGHJKL *mutates from sparkle over-exposure* ...h..hjelp....meg..... ;___;
I've told so many people about the comic, and nobody ever picks it up.  Maybe I shouldn't praise it so much in front of them...  Either way, it'll work one day.  I will successfully refer someone to the comic and get them to read it.

I wish I still had blonde hair.  :-\
Feel free to PM.