Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387769 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4215 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »
I got that reference (because since the early days of the forum, before the days of actual pictures, I've been picturing Eich as secret tunnel guy with his guitar).
*cries*
I... I can also picture that X'D although, I'm not sure Eich would forget all the verses...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4216 on: April 01, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »
(there was a cave passage under this one!! SECRET TUNNEEEEL)

YASS YOU JUST MADE MY DAY. ("Why is your forehead all red?")

Well, made it even more than it was already made. I mean, I realized today that I've spent less than $150 on food this semester. I'm within budget! Yay!

Besides that, hope you're having a wonderful day, dear person who is reading my scribblings.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4217 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:49 PM »
I love castles. Seriously, castles in ruins, castles in good shape, give them to me I will love them all. When I lived in the UK I once visited a friend of mine (who coincidentally lived near Wales), and I'll never forget her face when she asked me what I'd like to see and I replied with an enthusiastic "Castles and stone circles!" She just gave me this slow look and asked me if I wanted to see the one behind their house.

Turned out there was a castle a little way from where she lived. Turned out stone circles and castles aren't exactly a rarity in the UK. On the bright side at least I got to see both. :D
I KNOW RIGHT??
there are also castles all over czech, so people who live in the czech republic all their lives are SO UNIMPRESSED with them. I, of course, go all

at castles
because
CaSTLES

also holy wow yes stone circles. LOVE THEM
my mom is a Rock Nerd Deluxe, but my father & brother think they are incredibly boring so...... you can imagine when we went to Carnac in France......... (fun fact: geosenge in pokemon XY is based on this place. for reference)
and the male side of our family was "so what are we going to see here"
and mom waves a brochure like "THERE ARE THREE THOUSAND STANDING STONES IN THIS AREA AND WE ARE GOING TO SEE ALL OF THEM"
and we did

I do love posing for pictures ahahah

YASS YOU JUST MADE MY DAY. ("Why is your forehead all red?")

Well, made it even more than it was already made. I mean, I realized today that I've spent less than $150 on food this semester. I'm within budget! Yay!

Besides that, hope you're having a wonderful day, dear person who is reading my scribblings.
ahahah I'm glad
yay for your budget!!! I hope you have a wonderful day, too!

Don't apologise for truth. It truly is mostly garbage.

Sad fact is that we have had such a high proportion of families with two workers as parents that many families can't cook, or can only cook for special occasions, not for routine meals after a working day. So they buy ready meals to heat in the microwave instead -- and their kids never learn to cook as a result. We also have a very high proportion of people living alone and working long hours, who also depend on ready meals.

For families like ours where both my parents are very elderly, I'm disabled and my brother works, ready meals are a life-saver. I *can* cook a proper meal, but it takes three bursts of activity spread over three days, and at least two days to recover. (And I have to be feeling particularly well to be able to do that.) So we eat a lot of ready food.

Fortunately we have access to a large, up-market supermarket where we get a very wide range and some of it is ... acceptable. It fills hungry stomachs, and tastes good enough that it can tempt faded appetites. We can also get some very nice bread!

Still, we would prefer to be able to cook all our own meals.
ah okay I'm glad I wasn't too out of line there
I agree that ready meals are a nifty thing to have! this is going to sound utterly ridiculous but ready meals are kind of a Rare Occurence to me, since I'm a spoiled kid still living with my parents who cook from scratch most every day, so on the special occasion I get to eat garbage food it's kind of a luxury......... which is why all the ready meals in the UK looked so good to me when I visit, but every time I try something I'm vastly disappointed. AH WELL
you'll know where to find me.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4218 on: April 01, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
hhhhhhhh please forgive me for Double Posting
WALES ADVENTURES, travelogue part 2~~~
[SO COOL]
OH MY GOSH THESE ARE SO PRETTY
all castles are of High Interest to me. Exploring is my favorite thing to do and exploring big cool houses or abandoned big cool houses is actually my favorite this makes me want to go to Wales omg

Good luck finding Tasty Microwavable Food, by the way. If it's anything like what we have in good ol America it's generally odd-tasting and you don't want to touch 80% of it with a ten foot pole.

Returning to castles though: how could people not be impressed by castles?? They're giant and have all kinds of interesting stories and SECRET TUNNELS and really drafty old rooms and hhhh yes
YEET

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4219 on: April 01, 2015, 07:14:27 PM »
I love castles. Seriously, castles in ruins, castles in good shape, give them to me I will love them all. When I lived in the UK I once visited a friend of mine (who coincidentally lived near Wales), and I'll never forget her face when she asked me what I'd like to see and I replied with an enthusiastic "Castles and stone circles!" She just gave me this slow look and asked me if I wanted to see the one behind their house.

Turned out there was a castle a little way from where she lived. Turned out stone circles and castles aren't exactly a rarity in the UK. On the bright side at least I got to see both. :D

Castles are amaaaazing. Unfortunately the U.S. isn't exactly known for its abundance of castles, which is why the U.K. is very high on my "maybe someday off in the far-distant future I'll go there" list. Or kind of Europe in general...anywhere with a lot of castles.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #4220 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
I've always been intimidated by this thread cause it's huge and fast moving, but here we go.  I don't have to read the whole thing, right?

Haiz, your pictures are amazing!  I was in Wales once, many years ago.  Rode my bike through it when I was still in good enough shape for that kind of thing.  1.  So beautiful. 2.  Way too many freaking hills.  3.  But beautiful.  I didn't look at so many castles, but I was really impressed that all the

On the subject of traveling, my two girls and I are going to Europe in July!  We'll be with their choir until the 11th, then making our way from Vienna to Joutseno for older daughter to take a singing class, then back to Frankfurt.  Any advice on cheap accommodations, methods of travel, and routes for a group of three would be very welcome.  Just committed to this and nothing's settled and I'm doing my initial freak out thing.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa help!
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4221 on: April 02, 2015, 04:30:23 AM »
My personal choice for travelling around Europe is by car and staying in hostels and campsites.  However as I don't know the age of your daughters or how easy it would be for you to rent a car, I do not know if this would be practical.  I believe you can by a EuroRail pass or something like that, which lets you use most trains on the continent, but I'm not sure and don't know how much they cost.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #4222 on: April 02, 2015, 05:12:49 AM »
They will be 16 and 10, as they both have birthdays coming up.  I'm ok with hostels, but I can't imagine packing camping gear when we have to fly there to start with.  Was thinking train would be most practical transportation, but it appears I can't get from Vienna to Finland by train without going through Russia, and I don't know what the travel restrictions there are.  Would be cool to see St. Petersburg, though... probably wouldn't get back to Frankfurt in time.  Car looks to be about 600 euro/week, which is more than I'd like to spend, and there would be ferry fares.  Airfare might be about 100 for each of us, each way, but we'd still need a way to get around Finland.  I imagine public transportation in Helsinki is pretty good, but I don't know about smaller towns?

Ack.  I hope 3 months is long enough to prepare for this.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4223 on: April 02, 2015, 05:36:43 AM »
They will be 16 and 10, as they both have birthdays coming up.  I'm ok with hostels, but I can't imagine packing camping gear when we have to fly there to start with.  Was thinking train would be most practical transportation, but it appears I can't get from Vienna to Finland by train without going through Russia, and I don't know what the travel restrictions there are.  Would be cool to see St. Petersburg, though... probably wouldn't get back to Frankfurt in time.  Car looks to be about 600 euro/week, which is more than I'd like to spend, and there would be ferry fares.  Airfare might be about 100 for each of us, each way, but we'd still need a way to get around Finland.  I imagine public transportation in Helsinki is pretty good, but I don't know about smaller towns?

Ack.  I hope 3 months is long enough to prepare for this.
you need permission to visit russia, so if you wanna do that, you have to prepare that beforehand. i haven't been there yet so idk how it works. I think three months is plenty time to prepare!! but im pretty bad at travel planning myself so i shouldnt really be saying that....

I don't mean to brag, but europe is pretty great

*hasn't been outside of europe except for egypt*

also thanks for liking my pictures! but i see there is a travel thread now, should i post the pictures i take today on this thread in what-i-did-today style, or in the travel thread?
you'll know where to find me.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #4224 on: April 02, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »
Just my personal opinion, but I think posting them in the travel thread might be the better idea because they won't get lost under the next thousands of posts in the General discussion.  :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4225 on: April 02, 2015, 05:42:49 AM »
it appears I can't get from Vienna to Finland by train without going through Russia, and I don't know what the travel restrictions there are. 
If you can get to copenhagen from Vienna you should be able to get to Stockholm with Swedish Railways and from there with boat to Helsinki and other destinations (Viking Line for instance). I'm pretty sure there are ferries from Poland (Gdynia) and Estonia too but getting there might not be as easy.

It will cost you.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4226 on: April 02, 2015, 06:23:06 AM »
Be prepared to cough up the money if you want a Russian visa, mine cost me £180 for a one week visit and your country has worse relations with Russia.  Though three months should be more than enough time.  600 Euro/week sounds like a bit much for car rental to me, though I suppose it depends on what sort of car you are looking at.  I think you can rent a hatchback to take around Europe for about £200.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4227 on: April 02, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
I was super excited to go to Florida(warm temperatures, hotels, not going to Haiti!) And now I'm just like- Leave me alone with my two children AU's. And you people will be seeing these AU's soon and very soon.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #4228 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Yeeeaaaah I think that's not worth it to just take a train through a corner of Russia.  I will go look up train fares to Sweden, and ferries to Suomi.  Right after I have a nap, yeah.  zzzzzz

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #4229 on: April 03, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »
Yes, I shall come back to this forum. Hello everyone, I missed you. Woah, so many new people. Nice to meet you all. This place changed a lot in my times of lurking.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: