Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409726 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4185 on: March 31, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
helloooo it is time for my Wales Adventures Travelogue part 1
[COOL THINGS OMG]
Yoooo these are super cool pictures!! Also, you deserve a medal of honor for trying that Skittles drink. That takes guts.
YEET

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4186 on: March 31, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
Yoooo these are super cool pictures!! Also, you deserve a medal of honor for trying that Skittles drink. That takes guts.
ahahaha i shall accept my medal with honor
i mean this MIGHT be the middle class norwegian kid speaking but
the food in the UK is pretty garbage
so i might as well get used to it

and i should honestly scavenge my mom's camera for better photos of Things but. i'm too tired
you'll know where to find me.

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #4187 on: March 31, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
So today after I finished teaching kids fencing, a wee one approached me and asked me if I knew any great comics. So the fan I am, I sad to try SSSS. The wee one responded "oh I already read that with my mom". Kids going places.
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4188 on: March 31, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »
So today after I finished teaching kids fencing, a wee one approached me and asked me if I knew any great comics. So the fan I am, I sad to try SSSS. The wee one responded "oh I already read that with my mom". Kids going places.

Wow, you teach *fencing*?!?  (is impressed)   :o

What kind?  I tried fencing for about 3 weeks at college.  I realized 1) fencing foils are surprisingly heavy when you have to wield them for a full match (or else my arms were really marshmallowy); 2) I have way too much imagination to be allowed an edged weapon.  I kept acting like either Errol Flynn or Daffy Duck. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #4189 on: March 31, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
Wow, you teach *fencing*?!?  (is impressed)   :o

What kind?  I tried fencing for about 3 weeks at college.  I realized 1) fencing foils are surprisingly heavy when you have to wield them for a full match (or else my arms were really marshmallowy); 2) I have way too much imagination to be allowed an edged weapon.  I kept acting like either Errol Flynn or Daffy Duck.

Wait, allow me to elaborate, I teach medieval fencing, and because it's kids, it's foam weapons. Um, what's the word I'm looking for, swordsmanship?
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4190 on: March 31, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »
Apparently they tend to disappear if you turn up the heat to vaporise the moisture in your room.

I read that first as "they will vaporize if you turn up the heat." If only that were true...

Uh-oh, how I understand you :| We don't have silverfish, but some centipedes (don't click this link unless you have nerves of steel) have visited my room couple of times, and gosh, I am so terrified by those "hairy" fast monsters D: Sadly, I know no other ways of getting rid of them but smashing these harmless creatures  :(
May the Force be with you  ;)

Ehehehe...we have those too. Luckily they mostly stay in the dark voids of garages and cinder blocks, but everyone now and then one shows up in the house and I have to resort to using the vacuum cleaner, brave soul that I am.

Woah. No one ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention SSSS.  :(

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4191 on: March 31, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »
I read that first as "they will vaporize if you turn up the heat." If only that were true...

Oh, but they will. You just need to turn the heat way up. Might want to avoid doing that though, your portfolio might combust too.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4192 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »
(i hope it's okay that I'll do these??? I'll shut up if it's annoying ahahah)

- we were mostly on the road today, but stopped in Cardiff. We're based at a place called *checks smudged writing on hand* Llanelli. yeah. it's somehow even windier than home in norway, which is just outright impressive.

My three first impressions are these:
1) I forgot how british the UK was. it's just. so british. i'm sorry walisians
2) everything is dragons. flag dragon. bus dragon. trashcan dragon. pencil dragon. dragons
3) the language is just keysmash. it's beautiful

I know this is an absolute cliché and it's not even the right place, but you know. for reference

- we visited cardiff castle which was pretty cool? Because I'm a Real Grown Up Adult i of course did the easter egg hunt thing. my prize is a pencil with a dragon on it. We're gonna visit so many castles this week. I love castles

- there is a ~*Doctor Who Experiences*~ center museum thing in cardiff, but I kinda lost interest in doctor who a while ago so........ yeah. please forgive me, past self

- then there was this:

uMMMM I THOUGHT WE WERE IN WALES??
turns out it was a norwegian seafarer's church
and Roald Dahl was its first president?? roald dahl is cool

- i found a skittles milk drink in the store. a skittles drink. i had to have it even if it would probably kill me, but at least I would die with honor.
I just found out I was right, it tastes absolutely horrible. thanks

will anyone be wanting postcards
Pretty cool. I probability would had tried it to. . .'I will try anything once, if I don't like it I will try it again later.' My philosophy on food and food related things. . .

I have never actually gotten a postcard (or any letters that I can remember.), so I'd definitely be interested.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4193 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
Uh-oh, how I understand you :| We don't have silverfish, but some centipedes (don't click this link unless you have nerves of steel)
I get both! 8'D and the only issue I had with the link is that there was no zooooom :(
;)

will anyone be wanting postcards
:,D WAAAAAAAAAALES!!!! I'm hoping to go there one day! And see where the Owl-ancestors hung out :)

Wa. Woke up too early this morning, and then dad appears and says "we're picking apples this morning, only a couple of hours." Because we had to dismiss a bunch of workers who were trying to rip us off and other illegal things 9___9 We only have to pick 2 bins though, to make up the quota. Which is ok.

Also, I got fed up with my fringe being in my eyes behind the glasses that I gave myself a haircut today XD it's....well...it's good enough to last the holiday >_>
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #4194 on: April 01, 2015, 04:54:12 AM »
Owl: Illegal things? You guys aren't in trouble or anything i take?  ???

Regardless in the northern lands of slosh and rain the dreafull test week has finally come to a close and i even got back my first numbers.

Finnish language: 7

Arts: 9

I kinda borked the language because the essay i wrote, while good had no spacing and for some reason i wrote the opening essentially twice which wasn't optimal.

On to arts, this was probly the number i deserved and while i'm not that upset about it i still have this feeling of i should have done more to get an 10, but oh well that is most likely the least irritating grade i will get.

Other than that the new period i'm having is easy as it gets with me only having 5 courses of which one is arts 2 so for ex. my mondays and wednesdays now only have 2 classes, so my days are becomming quite easy towards the summer holidays.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4195 on: April 01, 2015, 05:07:24 AM »
Uh-oh, how I understand you :| We don't have silverfish, but some centipedes (don't click this link unless you have nerves of steel) have visited my room couple of times, and gosh, I am so terrified by those "hairy" fast monsters D:

Only 35 mm?  I have found spiders triple that size in my bed before, just flick em away and there is no trouble :D

i mean this MIGHT be the middle class norwegian kid speaking but
the food in the UK is pretty garbage

While trying not to get all patriotically defensive, may I ask where you have been eating to draw that conclusion?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4196 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:12 AM »
While trying not to get all patriotically defensive, may I ask where you have been eating to draw that conclusion?

restaurants aren't that bad, I'm mostly referring to... Almost everything in the stores... Particularly all the frozen/stick-it-in-the-microwave food... It all looks so good but it's all garbage. Sorry

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4197 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:42 AM »

As the other Norwegian kid around I've had a very different experience - in fact I miss British food. Except for the supermarket bread, the jam and the fish. Those are pretty much garbage.

:,D WAAAAAAAAAALES!!!! I'm hoping to go there one day! And see where the Owl-ancestors hung out :)
Your ancestors were Welsh? What kind of crimes did they commit that earned them a ticket to Australia?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4198 on: April 01, 2015, 05:48:08 AM »
As the other Norwegian kid around I've had a very different experience - in fact I miss British food. Except for the supermarket bread, the jam and the fish. Those are pretty much garbage.
man I forgot to complain about the bread
it's all awful tasteless toast bread
thanks to my partly slavic upbringing I'm constantly craving sour-dough bread, but at least I have access to Good Bread and sometimes even finnish syrup bread (THE BEST) but this? No. Nope
NOT TO MENTION THE CHOCOLATE. And the milk, and-

but yeah I might be a tad unfair. The supermarkets have a wayyyyy bigger selection so maybe we're just choosing the wrong things.

I tried haggis in scotland tho, it was pretty good actually. And explains why the whole of edinburgh smells of....... how do you translate leverpostei

edit: personally i don't eat jam but we literally give norwegian jam as christmas gifts to czech family and friends
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:10:41 AM by Haiz »

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4199 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:15 AM »
restaurants aren't that bad, I'm mostly referring to... Almost everything in the stores... Particularly all the frozen/stick-it-in-the-microwave food... It all looks so good but it's all garbage. Sorry

Well you make a fair point there.  But I wouldn't think to judge a country's food based upon its ready meals.  Is the microwave food at home really that good?

Well for the bread it really depends on what you buy.  I used to buy the cheap stuff simply because it was cheap, eventually got round to buying more expensive brands or fresh baked loaves and was shocked at the difference.  Same goes for jam, except I would never buy cheap jam :)  As for fish, I can notice a difference between sushi made from fish bought at a fishmonger on the coast and that made from an inland supermarket.  Other than that I don't eat enough fish to comment.