Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387955 times)

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
Hope you're feeling better Eich! And ThisCat, I finally dug up and reread The Cat That Walked By Himself, one of my favourite stories from childhood, because of you. That is you, isn't it?

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Hope you're feeling better Eich! And ThisCat, I finally dug up and reread The Cat That Walked By Himself, one of my favourite stories from childhood, because of you. That is you, isn't it?

Ah, well. The Cat That Walked By Himself was of course one of my great grandfathers (or great grandmothers, wild things don't bother all that much with genders). The bargain seems to have changed a little since then though :3
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
I really need to stop forgetting to eat meals...
S'not good for meh.  Ate like at fiend at lunch today.   :P
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »
I really need to stop forgetting to eat meals...
S'not good for meh.  Ate like at fiend at lunch today.   :P

I'll have to say that I can't really relate to this problem. After finishing a meal it takes one minute for me to start looking forward to the next one.

The fact that I also drink somewhere between 3-5 litres on a daily basis has made me start to suspect that I'm actually part human, part black hole.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
I'll have to say that I can't really relate to this problem. After finishing a meal it takes one minute for me to start looking forward to the next one.

The fact that I also drink somewhere between 3-5 litres on a daily basis has made me start to suspect that I'm actually part human, part black hole.
It's not that I don't like food, I just enjoy other stuff so much more that it passes me by.  Also, cooking takes way too much time.  Maybe that's my American side showing, but I'd rather be playing guitar or something.  I typically reserve eating for times with friends or watching stuff online.  I do drink quite a lot of water though.  Not nearly 3-5 liters but, enough. 

You should learn to control your black hole powers and be a superhero.  It'd be pretty awesome if we had a superhero on the forum.

EDIT:  I just remembered I have bacon sitting in my fridge...  Time for some late breakfast.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
It's not that I don't like food, I just enjoy other stuff so much more that it passes me by.  Also, cooking takes way too much time.  Maybe that's my American side showing, but I'd rather be playing guitar or something.  I typically reserve eating for times with friends or watching stuff online.  I do drink quite a lot of water though.  Not nearly 3-5 liters but, enough. 

You should learn to control your black hole powers and be a superhero.  It'd be pretty awesome if we had a superhero on the forum.

EDIT:  I just remembered I have bacon sitting in my fridge...  Time for some late breakfast.

I like the sound of that. Let's cure all world problems by eating them, one issue at a time. North Korea is warmongering again? Kim Jong Un and all his nukes just got swallowed. ISIS is beheading people in the Middle East? Trolls spamming on the forum? Butter up apricots, you are on the menu.

What make of guitar have you got?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:21:49 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2014, 06:33:11 PM »
I like the sound of that. Let's cure all world problems by eating them, one issue at a time. North Korea is warmongering again? Kim Jong Un and all his nukes just got swallowed. ISIS is beheading people in the Middle East? Trolls spamming on the forum? Butter up apricots, you are on the menu.

What make of guitar have you got?
*Comes back to computer with breakfast/dinner*  Truly, a simpler solution.

The one I play the most, and take with me to school, is a Cordoba.  Simple little classical that's really good for the price.  I also have a... I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but a 40 year old acoustic I found in my dad's closet when I was 14, that I learned on. AndI also have a Mexican-made Fender Stratocaster that I haven't touched in ages.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
Sometimes I forget to eat if I'm at home- I'll bake a bunch of stuff but forget to actually eat it haha but when I'm at school I have to have lunch and snacks because I'm just paranoid that my stomach will rumble in class or something :P

Agggghh I went to buy a sandwich just then- it was an amazing sandwich: salmon and cream cheese, like, a $12 sandwich, specially stolen out of a business catering tray by the nice cashier, and I went to pay with my card, dumbly assuming my money had been wired through the other day and.... It declined.
Three times.
Ah man. Turns out my fortnightly student allowance had been redirected by my father in to my sister's SHOE FUND. And I was too embarrassed to go back in and get the darn sandwich when I DID get money (after a bizarre phonecall) and and....
Hehehe so I guess: #västerströmproblems hahaaaagh ;___;

My sister has a fender, I thought it was accounting but I think it has a plug too :/ and then there's mum's old Girl Scout guitar XD we have 3 violins too but no one plays anymore :P it's just the piano and keyboard that gets used lately ;__;
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

This is me. I didn't realize how much I ate until I moved into a boarding house. All the teenage boys are astounded because I eat twice as much as them.
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
Sometimes I forget to eat if I'm at home- I'll bake a bunch of stuff but forget to actually eat it haha but when I'm at school I have to have lunch and snacks because I'm just paranoid that my stomach will rumble in class or something :P

Agggghh I went to buy a sandwich just then- it was an amazing sandwich: salmon and cream cheese, like, a $12 sandwich, specially stolen out of a business catering tray by the nice cashier, and I went to pay with my card, dumbly assuming my money had been wired through the other day and.... It declined.
Three times.
Ah man. Turns out my fortnightly student allowance had been redirected by my father in to my sister's SHOE FUND. And I was too embarrassed to go back in and get the darn sandwich when I DID get money (after a bizarre phonecall) and and....
Hehehe so I guess: #västerströmproblems hahaaaagh ;___;

My sister has a fender, I thought it was accounting but I think it has a plug too :/ and then there's mum's old Girl Scout guitar XD we have 3 violins too but no one plays anymore :P it's just the piano and keyboard that gets used lately ;__;
Money troubles.  Sympathy. 
The next three days are going to be nothing but phone calls and travelling after work for me.  I say "nothing but," but I actually mean, "there will be some."  It just feels overwhelming.

My sister and I are the only ones who play music, but she doesn't have a piano since she moved out, so it's just me now.   :'(
Still, it's something I love to do a lot.  Last semester, before finals week, I was playing upwards of 5 hours a day   ;D  Then summer came, and I fell out of the habit.  Then my pinky went numb for a couple weeks.  But now I'm back!  Just... have to restart a little.  Oh, and my roommate said he wants me to teach him how to play!  Sooo excited for that.  He's picking up a guitar this weekend! 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »

My sister and I are the only ones who play music, but she doesn't have a piano since she moved out, so it's just me now.   :'(
Still, it's something I love to do a lot.  Last semester, before finals week, I was playing upwards of 5 hours a day   ;D  Then summer came, and I fell out of the habit.  Then my pinky went numb for a couple weeks.  But now I'm back!  Just... have to restart a little.  Oh, and my roommate said he wants me to teach him how to play!  Sooo excited for that.  He's picking up a guitar this weekend!

Cool! Lessons! What type of music do you usually play?? You don't use a pick-thing? That's too bad about your sisters piano :(
My little sister has a little band, and that's good and all, but the downside is that she's turning into Tuomi and sings every second of the day. It's so annoying. You're super lucky not to have a premadonna soprano for a housemate but a cool guitar buddy instead! ;__;
I still like to play piano a lot. But only when no ones home. I can read music but I prefer to play by ear most of the time- the pianola we have is SO out of tune! I think one whole half of it is a tone or semitone out D8 but it's got a nice tone I think. (It nearly sounds like a honkytonk, but doesn't have the refined sound of a classical- I think it used to be a dancehall piano maybe. It's name on the front doesn't even exist :/) The G, E and As sometimes don't work.....I think there's about $5 worth of coins stuck in it! Oh no!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2014, 01:03:25 AM »
Cool! Lessons! What type of music do you usually play?? You don't use a pick-thing? That's too bad about your sisters piano :(
My little sister has a little band, and that's good and all, but the downside is that she's turning into Tuomi and sings every second of the day. It's so annoying. You're super lucky not to have a premadonna soprano for a housemate but a cool guitar buddy instead! ;__;
I still like to play piano a lot. But only when no ones home. I can read music but I prefer to play by ear most of the time- the pianola we have is SO out of tune! I think one whole half of it is a tone or semitone out D8 but it's got a nice tone I think. (It nearly sounds like a honkytonk, but doesn't have the refined sound of a classical- I think it used to be a dancehall piano maybe. It's name on the front doesn't even exist :/) The G, E and As sometimes don't work.....I think there's about $5 worth of coins stuck in it! Oh no!
Get that piano fixed, girl.  Then you can show your sister who's boss with the power of music!  Certainly don't want to be like Paju and suppress music with angry older-sister-ness.

Nah, I don't like picks very much.  I do want to learn hybrid picking, and picks do have some important uses, but I prefer to fingerpick if I can.  I want to figure out the style called "acoustic fingerstyle."  It combines a lot of percussion with the playing and it sounds really cool.  I learned a bit of this song a year ago (got the first minute and a half before I gave up :P), and I attempted learning this one last semester... it kicked my ass; got like 30 seconds of it.  Those are the only two fingerstyle things I've tried, though, and I don't play them nearly as well as they do.  I don't have the focus to play like them.  The rest ranges from RHCP to this one that I was shown last year.

Tried a little songwriting, but that'd be way more studying than playing, which I don't want to do.  Also, I'm terrible at playing with other people.  Like, really bad.  My roommate last semester was always trying to play with me, but I always forgot where I was in the song or fell off beat.  I also can't read sheet music well.  Guitar uses tablature, so I'm not missing much, fortunately.  Basically, I'm a horrible musician, but thankfully I'm a decent enough an okay guitarist.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2014, 05:21:20 AM »
The one I play the most, and take with me to school, is a Cordoba.  Simple little classical that's really good for the price.  I also have a... I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but a 40 year old acoustic I found in my dad's closet when I was 14, that I learned on. AndI also have a Mexican-made Fender Stratocaster that I haven't touched in ages.

Ah. I've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul myself, mostly because it has that amazing vintage look. The problem though is that I have absolutely 0 musical ability - I tried to learn how to play the saxophone back when I was 8 but, well, it was not to be.

I'm considering learning to play some basic instrument though. Preferably something that can be taken around easily, like a small banjo or an ocarina.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
I've got an ocarina. Unfortunately, every time I try to play it, my mom threatens to throw it out the window. But I usually have better luck with my trumpet, so I'll mostly stick with that.  :P

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »
Ocarina - NOPE
Trumpet - sure, go for it

I'm struggling to see your mom's logic here. Are you a horrible ocarina player but a superb trumpeteer?

My neighbour plays his trombone almost every day, and he's so bad at it. I've tried desperately to think of (legal) ways to put an end to it.