Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387782 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4125 on: March 27, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
hahaha ha ha hahahaha ha guess what type of person I am
(guess who's 20 years old and doesn't have their driver's license yet)
((no but seriously though. I am all too aware of my own mortality all the time. it's kind of a problem.))

Then again at the other end are people who, eager to drive, get their driver's licence at the first possible chance and crash their employer's car a week later. It... it still hurts to remember that... self preservation is possibly not my forte.  :-[
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4126 on: March 27, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
((no but seriously though. I am all too aware of my own mortality all the time. it's kind of a problem.))

It's a kind of a shame, really, because I've been a lot of plane trips and generally enjoy them actually, but I also have problems with intrusive thoughts and I know it's gonna bother me the whole flight.

ON A LESS DEPRESSING NOTE i'm going to wales with my family for easter!!!

Don't really have the mortality issue, I started smoking heavily in my teens and am genetically pre-disposed to lung cancer anyway.  I accepted my death years ago.

And trust me, going to wales is the depressing note :P

And uncomfortable. Passenger planes weren't designed for people with long legs.

Oh gods I know that pain so well, plus I never fly with anything other than the cheapest option so it is extra cramped.  (I miss flights with KLM :( )

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4127 on: March 27, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
Oh gods I know that pain so well, plus I never fly with anything other than the cheapest option so it is extra cramped.  (I miss flights with KLM :( )

I haven't flown with KLM in at least a decade, so I can't really say anything about their comfort levels. I do have fond memories of flying with them though because they hand out stroopwaffels. I'm not very hard to please.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:32:49 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4128 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
Well, dying is kind of an inconvenience. That being said, it's no good being crippled by fear when the likeliness of dying isn't blatanly obvious.
yeah it's not like I recommend having any kind of anxiety spectrum disorder, it's not exactly fun
but ehhhh I'll make it just fine.
I might be scared of everything but at least I'm an optimist at heart

Then again at the other end are people who, eager to drive, get their driver's licence at the first possible chance and crash their employer's car a week later. It... it still hurts to remember that... self preservation is possibly not my forte.  :-[
ahahah yeah, seems like all the learning-to-drive books are for these kinda people, because reading is like... "remember, many teenagers are too fast in the turns, and DIE. also remember listening to music in the car can cause DEATH. remember that driving a car is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS and you can DIE if you don't CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!!!!!"
which is
pretty unhelpful for someone like me

And trust me, going to wales is the depressing note :P
nooooooooo I'm going to love it. I've already been to England, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland....... I love these places. I mean, I've been almost allll over europe (+ egypt), and while warm places like Italy and Spain are pretty okay, the places that absolutely capture my heart is Ireland and Iceland and the like. Wouldn't mind moving somewhere like that, either.

actualllyyyy, I have some photos from some of my travels if anyone is interested!
-Iceland, 2005
-Spain, this february
-ummm, probably some highway in germany? (scratch that, it's obviously a wonky norwegian road) we drove from czech to norway so I was asleep for most of the time
-Nordkapp here in Norway, summer 2014
-Balloon trip in Brno, Czech, 2008
- Northern Ireland, 2014
-strangest place I've ever been, Lithuania, 2009
(pff, hope I didn't post any links wrong)

((sorry for being such a showoff. my mom loves to travel. for someone who willingly moved into this country, she sure loves to leave it any possible moment))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:25:09 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4129 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
From the front page of imgur: this looks a bit like Torbjörn missing the train out of Björköfjärden :P (it's from Sweden).

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4130 on: March 27, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
I haven't flown with KLM in at least a decade, so I can't really say anything about their comfort levels. I do have fond memory of flying with them though because they hand out stroopwaffels. I'm not very hard to please.

I can remember them giving me a cheeseburger that I didn't have to pay for.  Best airline meal ever XD

nooooooooo I'm going to love it. I've already been to England, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland....... I love these places. I mean, I've been almost allll over europe (+ egypt), and while warm places like Italy and Spain are pretty okay, the places that absolutely capture my heart is Ireland and Iceland and the like. Wouldn't mind moving somewhere like that, either.

I used to live in Wales, it is miserable.  Unless you are into sheep... are you into sheep? :P

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4131 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
From the front page of imgur: this looks a bit like Torbjörn missing the train out of Björköfjärden :P (it's from Sweden).

(it's hilarious)

I used to live in Wales, it is miserable.  Unless you are into sheep... are you into sheep? :P
it can hardly be more miserable than where I live

edit: post number 222 *hi fives self*
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:52:24 PM by Haiz »

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4132 on: March 27, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »

edit: post number 222 *hi fives self*
Ah, I love finding old junk in the woods.  It makes it more fun to explore.
My home is a lot like that, pretty much everywhere you go in it.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4133 on: March 27, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »

For sure. I found a seiko watch worth 800 USD in the highlands once. There's great loot to be found out there.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4134 on: March 27, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »

I know I'm a bit of an oddball for this stuff, but I love abandoned things, especially deep in the woods as those appear to be.  I actually quite like the look of those pictures.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4135 on: March 27, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
it's pretty much the only fun that I can have in this area. It's not even a proper forest, just some clusters of trees inbetween all the fields. (I'm pretty good at getting lost in the fields. congrats haiz)
of course, being me, I go around like
*sees LOST dvd's on ground*
"HM THIS IS DEFINITELY A SERIAL MURDER HORROR PLOT I SHOULD NOT KEEP WALKING"
*keeps walking*

oh, and we also used to use a bunch of trash mattresses and things for archery practice targets, but now they've fenced the 'practice area' away. bye, postapocalyptic parking lot. nice to have known you

but hey, if anyone wants to do a SSSS photoshoot, i guess this is a pretty good place to start

I know I'm a bit of an oddball for this stuff, but I love abandoned things, especially deep in the woods as those appear to be.  I actually quite like the look of those pictures.
we're all SSSS fans here, it's hardly odd
but thanks! it was a pretty nice day so it looked less drab than usual
(it's sadly not that deep in the woods hahahaha. the E6 road is just nearby)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:25:23 PM by Haiz »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4136 on: March 27, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »
Owl reporting from... THE MAINLAND. In a STARBUCKS. With the saddest tasting chai latte ever known to man. *inhales deeply* Yup, that's the city. >_>

It's too early for it to even be busy yet, so crowd anxiety is low! :D
I got the worst migraine headache thing in the plane though, and it made so many odd noises and the landing was.....it could've been better. But I'm not complaining.
The buildings are SO HUGE LIKE WHAT EVEN. And the footpaths are really wide, like 3 times normal size. And they're covered in lots of spit wads and homeless people :/ hmmmmm city life. >_>

The taxi was so expensive, but not ridiculously expensive, and dad was so awkward and embarrassing because he's still acclimatizing to uh..... Not-racism.... 9___9 he's so embarrassing I hate going places with him. He also walked down the street not realizing Siri  was still giving him directions and he couldn't find the noise and AGHHHG.

Anywho.
One cool thing is that I didn't think I would get any wifi here.... But I'm somehow auto-connected to the closest university wifi which is AWESOME. :)

UPDATE: we walked a long way, and it was cold which was nice because if I'm cold then there's no chances of sickness-induced bleeding noses. However, we went inside a mall thing, and the heating was so warm, it took about two minutes for me to overheat and now I'm hiding out in a bathroom- which is also heated what the heck Melbourne?- with a blood nose from hell. What if it never ends and I bleed to death? What if this bathroom is the place I spend the whole day trip?! Noooooo!

Also, I saw a tram! :0
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:47:37 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4137 on: March 27, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
Owl reporting from... THE MAINLAND. In a STARBUCKS. With the saddest tasting chai latte ever known to man. *inhales deeply* Yup, that's the city. >_>

It's too early for it to even be busy yet, so crowd anxiety is low! :D
I got the worst migraine headache thing in the plane though, and it made so many odd noises and the landing was.....it could've been better. But I'm not complaining.
The buildings are SO HUGE LIKE WHAT EVEN. And the footpaths are really wide, like 3 times normal size. And they're covered in lots of spit wads and homeless people :/ hmmmmm city life. >_>

The taxi was so expensive, but not ridiculously expensive, and dad was so awkward and embarrassing because he's still acclimatizing to uh..... Not-racism.... 9___9 he's so embarrassing I hate going places with him. He also walked down the street not realizing Siri  was still giving him directions and he couldn't find the noise and AGHHHG.

Anywho.
One cool thing is that I didn't think I would get any wifi here.... But I'm somehow auto-connected to the closest university wifi which is AWESOME. :)

UPDATE: we walked a long way, and it was cold which was nice because if I'm cold then there's no chances of sickness-induced bleeding noses. However, we went inside a mall thing, and the heating was so warm, it took about two minutes for me to overheat and now I'm hiding out in a bathroom- which is also heated what the heck Melbourne?- with a blood nose from hell. What if it never ends and I bleed to death? What if this bathroom is the place I spend the whole day trip?! Noooooo!

Also, I saw a tram! :0

This reads like a strange mix: On one hand the classic country-people-encounters-modernity story. On the other, disparaging remarks about the prevalence of wi-fi and the quality of Starbucks coffee from said country-people :P

Melting slowly to death in a foreign climate is one of my least favourite things to do.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4138 on: March 27, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »
This reads like a strange mix: On one hand the classic country-people-encounters-modernity story. On the other, disparaging remarks about the prevalence of wi-fi and the quality of Starbucks coffee from said country-people :P

Melting slowly to death in a foreign climate is one of my least favourite things to do.
*chews on grass blade* I may be a country bumpkin, but I know a sad coffee when I taste it ;P also, living in the country, wifi and internet is ma liiiiiiife! ;-;

On the flip side, I also know what /good quality/ food is. ;P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:49:09 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4139 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:31 PM »
Okay, it's my turn for spring break (and it really is spring; it's seventy degrees out and I'm going to dieeee) so now I can finally catch up on unread threads, yay!!!
Today my school had it's "Second Biennial Lip Dub" today - basically they lined up all the students in the hallway and ran around blasting pop music and filmed the whole thing so they can post it on YouTube. Afterward I helped some friends take my German teacher's cardboard cutouts of Gandolf, Legolas, Aragorn, and Sheldon back to her classroom. Then there was a spirit assembly where ASB congratulated Winter Sports athletes and representatives from each grade played a giant game of Hungry Hungry Hippos involving scooters, jump ropes, laundry baskets, and balloons. I stay late after school every day so I got together with some other kids from the Spoken Word Club to help the ASB people pull up tape, take down streamers, and sweep up confetti.
It was an interesting day, but it involved far too much social interaction and irregularity so now I'm glad I'm home and can stay there for a while - at least until we go up to Canada for a few days! Yay, skiing!

(In case you're unable to tell, I'm quite excited/exhausted right now.)

I also think those pictures are very cool, but what's with junk in forests? Before it became a Safeway, there was this forest a three-minute walk from where I used to live. There was a short hiking trail through the forest, so my family decided to walk down it - and quickly decided to never set foot in that forest again.
Someone had obviously been using the place as a dump, for there was trash everywhere. Bottles, plastic bags, and pieces of scrap metal littered the ground. There was even a beat-up microwave. After encountering the third moldy kiddie pool only a hundred feet from the trail head, we found an entire couch in the middle of the path.
At that point we decided it might be time to leave.